Delica vs UKPK

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Delica vs UKPK

Post by TkoK83Spy »

If you're willing to wait a few weeks Barry...the best imaginable UKPK should be available once again! If you have the opportunity, you CAN'T pass this one up!! https://www.heinnie.com/spyderco-heinni ... nknife-g10

Resized_20190422_142913.jpeg
Resized_20190422_142932.jpeg
Resized_20190422_142857.jpeg
Resized_20190422_142838.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Oh yeah!! Now we're talking!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'd love to see a deep carry wire clip Delica myself CG!
cycleguy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:25 am
Big fan of the Delica. Have carried it for over a decade so I am Delica biased. Tried the UKPK. Carried it for almost a year. I like both. I still prefer the Delica in use but think the UKPK carries better. If you are a novice sharpener, I've found the BD1N a little bit easier to sharpen than VG10. I was back to the Delica for the last month in HAP40. HAP 40 has held an edge noticably longer than VG10 or BD1N. The HAP disappeared for a day so I pocketed the Sage Lightweight and have been using it for the last two weeks. It carries well and is comfortable in use, maybe moreso than the Delica. I think all of these are a solid choice. I'm back to preferring a lock so my choice goes to the Delica or the Sage. I'd like to see the Delica 4 evolve to the Delica 5 which would be a deep carry wire clip version. I think it is the only way the D4 can get better.

My .02,

CG
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:43 am
If you're willing to wait a few weeks Barry...the best imaginable UKPK should be available once again! If you have the opportunity, you CAN'T pass this one up!!
I got in on this pre-order a while back - figured it was a way to try out the caly 3 design I've been coveting, and also try my first non-locking spydie. Hopefully it still comes out in June as expected!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:02 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
If you're willing to wait a few weeks Barry...the best imaginable UKPK should be available once again! If you have the opportunity, you CAN'T pass this one up!!
I got in on this pre-order a while back - figured it was a way to try out the caly 3 design I've been coveting, and also try my first non-locking spydie. Hopefully it still comes out in June as expected!
That's EXACTLY the same thoughts I had when I got this knife. I held off for a week or so while it was initially available, but eventually caved...and VERY glad I did! I was against the whole non-locking idea, but also loved the look of the design and figured for the pretty good price, it would help me determine if I would eventually reach for a Caly 3. Safe to say, I likely won't reach for a Caly 3 now as this knife is perfect (granted Darby was tugging at my heart strings all week long with that Caly 3 he kept posting :p )

It's obviously not a knife I'd use like I would a Shaman/Manix/PM2...but I've never felt unsafe using a UKPK. It's also nice that it has that half stop as well. It snaps into place pretty firmly, and requires a little effort to get it closed from each opened position.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:12 am
JuPaul wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:02 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
That's EXACTLY the same thoughts I had when I got this knife. I held off for a week or so while it was initially available, but eventually caved...and VERY glad I did! I was against the whole non-locking idea, but also loved the look of the design and figured for the pretty good price, it would help me determine if I would eventually reach for a Caly 3. Safe to say, I likely won't reach for a Caly 3 now as this knife is perfect (granted Darby was tugging at my heart strings all week long with that Caly 3 he kept posting :p )

It's obviously not a knife I'd use like I would a Shaman/Manix/PM2...but I've never felt unsafe using a UKPK. It's also nice that it has that half stop as well. It snaps into place pretty firmly, and requires a little effort to get it closed from each opened position.
I was still iffy about the no lock situation, but the fact that you like it so much definitely tipped the scales for me. You obviously use your knives hard, and even though you wouldn't use it like a Shaman, of course, you still trust it. That sold me.

And yeah, Darby has been killing me this week! ;) If the 4v manix hadn't just come out, I'd probably have a hap40 caly 3 en route right now. :rolleyes:
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Nate

Post by Nate »

For me the choice is clear.

Have had 9 different UKPKs to date, 4 were gifted away over time.
:spyder:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've never felt underequipped with my PE Delica. There's just something about the look of the Caly/UKPK design that I like. Hey, that's the fun of our hobby. It never lacks for another knife to buy!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
anycal

Post by anycal »

If I could keep all my other knives, and had to get rid of either both of my UKPKs or both of my Delicas, I would keep the UKPKs.

One hand opening and closing slip-joint, what's not to like. Modern design, that takes me back to simpler times

Peter