Getting that Itch...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BLJace

Re: Getting that Itch...

Post by BLJace »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 pm
gerber just came out with these. pretty cool.
it pairs nicely with an edc blade like the yo2. :)
you're like the devils advocate aren't you?! LOL!!
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

BLJace wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:09 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:29 pm
gerber just came out with these. pretty cool.
it pairs nicely with an edc blade like the yo2. :)
you're like the devils advocate aren't you?! LOL!!
i’m just trying to help. :cool:
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLJace wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:41 pm
Thanks for all the great replies and opinions!

I really hadn't considered how thick the blade stock is on the Yojimbo. Or that it wasn't a full flat grind. Saw the thing and fell in love. It wouldn't be the best for box slicing as i had hoped.

The little native got a lot of votes too, seems it would serve the purpose i was looking for.

The wharncliffe delica was something i hadn't thought of. Would easily handle everything i do on a day to day basis.

I'm still stuck... and now i have 4 knives to consider over 3.

I think i'm heading towards the Yojimbo though... It seems like the lil' native would be better suited for my daily tasks. However, it would probably as i said; replace my dragonfly. Which i have zero complaints about.

You all were a lot of help. It's always good to hear from people that have handled them and used them in the same purpose you intend to. The pictures were extremely helpful as well. The comparison between the manix 2 and the Yojimbo really let me see the size of it, as i own a few manix 2s myself.

Thanks for the assistance guys. Going to think on it a couple more days. You've all given me a lot to think about and pointed out various reasons one is better than the other.

From a purely practical point of view, considering your warehouse job, I have to say once more: The wharnie Delica would certainly be an amazing tool for you (I´d go SE in VG10 or PE in HAP 40, if I were you) - perfect blade shape, thin stock, generous handle, slim carry....

But since the Yojimbo just seems to "connect" with you: Get it anyway, I´d say... ;)

Now since you are considering another small knife (the Lil Native) despite you already have a DFly: I just have to bring up once more one of the for me personally best bang for the buck small Spydies (concerning steel, fit and finish...), the Chaparral FRN:
It gets overlooked often, that this knife is not much bigger than a Lil Native in carry (closed length 3.6" vs 3.47"), but lighter and a slimmer carry. And it still offers significantly more cutting edge (2.35 Chap vs 2.05 Lil Native) and for me amazing ergos (can´t compare those to the ones of the Lil Native though, never owned one)
Plus: Thin blade stock (2mm), a LOT thinner than the Lil Native (3.2 mm is rather fat for such a tiny blade imho) and even thinner than a DFly (2.5mm). This makes for an amazing slicer, and in my experience the blade still is strong enough for any regular knife task (but sure, I can´t know which kind of tasks YOU might encounter in your job!).
And if you came to like that design: There are even more "classy" looking versions of it too (Raffir Noble, upcoming sun and moon, and so on...)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:33 am

From a purely practical point of view, considering your warehouse job, I have to say once more: The wharnie Delica would certainly be an amazing tool for you (I´d go SE in VG10 or PE in HAP 40, if I were you) - perfect blade shape, thin stock, generous handle, slim carry....

But since the Yojimbo just seems to "connect" with you: Get it anyway, I´d say... ;)

Now since you are considering another small knife (the Lil Native) despite you already have a DFly: I just have to bring up once more one of the for me personally best bang for the buck small Spydies (concerning steel, fit and finish...), the Chaparral FRN:
It gets overlooked often, that this knife is not much bigger than a Lil Native in carry (closed length 3.6" vs 3.47"), but lighter and a slimmer carry. And it still offers significantly more cutting edge (2.35 Chap vs 2.05 Lil Native) and for me amazing ergos (can´t compare those to the ones of the Lil Native though, never owned one)
Plus: Thin blade stock (2mm), a LOT thinner than the Lil Native (3.2 mm is rather fat for such a tiny blade imho) and even thinner than a DFly (2.5mm). This makes for an amazing slicer, and in my experience the blade still is strong enough for any regular knife task (but sure, I can´t know which kind of tasks YOU might encounter in your job!).
And if you came to like that design: There are even more "classy" looking versions of it too (Raffir Noble, upcoming sun and moon, and so on...)
How did i miss the Chaparral? I think i was caught up in the compression lock vs use. It even comes in a great steel. I love my dragonflys because they are lightweight and handle anything i've thrown at them. Only pull out a "bigger" knife because i want to.

I love you guys you've been a lot of help, and no help at all LOL. I went from 3 knives to 5.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

BLJace wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:54 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:33 am

How did i miss the Chaparral? I think i was caught up in the compression lock vs use. It even comes in a great steel. I love my dragonflys because they are lightweight and handle anything i've thrown at them. Only pull out a "bigger" knife because i want to.

I love you guys you've been a lot of help, and no help at all LOL. I went from 3 knives to 5.

Yes, the Chap comes in XHP which is a great steel indeed! And its fit and finish is outstanding, even for a Spyderco.
As said, imho one of the best "bang of the buck" Spydies... :), not as light as a DFly, but I think even thinner (the Chap has liners, which make it a bit heavier, but also the very thin FRN scales possible (they would be TOO thin for going linerless I think)

Its backlock is amazing too (features even internal stop pin), very tight, rock solid, but some say it is a bit hard/stiff to operate (which is probably true, partly because of the thin lockbar). But there is an easy mod for that, should one not like the way depressing the lock bar feels from the factory.

Below two comparsion pics to a Delica (sorry, the pics are huge, did not find a way to resize ´em)

There you can see how much smaller the Chap is in carry (pic 1, and you can´t even see there how much THINNER it is)
but how much edge it still offers despite having a real finger choil (differently to the Delica) - pic 2

So... much food for thought... ;)

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)