Can't get no respect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MacLaren

Re: Can't get no respect

Post by MacLaren »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:35 pm
I decided to just live with the rattle of the guard. So there I was on Friday making a fire and wanted to split some 2x4s. Figured I'd use the respect to baton them. Everything was going good until it wasn't. Everyone was worried about the hole being a weak spot but apparently it was the spot where the blade became the tang for the handle. Right where it enters the guard. This isn't the first time I've used this knife this way but it was the last time. :(

I will be sending this knife in for evaluation.
Can you show some more pics?
I can't understand how a freakin .300" thick piece of steel just snaps in two
Is it. 300" thick all the way full tang, or does it turn into a rat tail or whatever past the guard where it broke?
I understand the Respect to have been .300" all the way from spine to the end of the handle.
Reason I ask, beyond amazement that it happened is because I came SO CLOSE to ordering one just days ago, I changed my mind in the 11th hour, literally, lol.
Not sure I'll ever consider one now!
Last edited by MacLaren on Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Yikes! Sorry Vash, I know you carry that beast pretty often, so I hope it works out for you.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:05 am
VashHash wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:30 pm
Did I possibly receive a lemon? Another unfortunate thing is at this price point I'm not seeing a lot of people use these or at least not talking about it online. I wonder if maybe it's a design flaw.

Can't say, at this point, but I might just try chopping a 2X4 with mine this afternoon and see if the same thing happens.
Did it go well, Paul?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

So lemon or heat treat?
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Here's a few more picks with the guard removed.

The knife is packaged up and will be heading out to Golden tomorrow.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow. Prolly just a once in a million thing I reckon.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I hope to buy two Spyderco Respects. To me, it's a beautiful looking fighting knife, and this break does not appear to happen if you are not batoning the knife. I do not baton any of my knives. Hopefully this will be addressed in an iterative mod wherein the contacts where the knife broke will be given a generous radius on each side to reduce the stress at the tang.

This is a common issue....and radiuses will probably fix the problem. If all else fails, a steel like 3V might be called for.

Please Sal, keep making these! Re-engineer/Re-design that tang junction!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I saw this thread a long time ago and thought it interesting.
(Apologies if I’m about to over analyze or make any erroneous claims)
The guard should provide a good support for the section of tang that broke when nice and snugly fitted. The tight fit would allow it to absorb and distribute forces in itself, to the tang, the g10 handle, and the shelf of blade it is sandwiched between.

Leaving it loose means the forces I’d hypothesize the guard to more evenly distribute would instead be concentrated on specific pressure points during a blow from the baton (which I think is about the only use besides throwing that could produce the critical forces here), or alternatively, eliminate said support entirely and concentrate forces at the critical corners of transitions in thickness of the blade stock/tang
(I presume the latter is what happened here based on the images).

The second main variable in my hypothesis is the way aforementioned transitions are finished.
As in, sharp vs. smooth or rounded angles.

It appears to me that the critical point of failure in the guard area is directly correlated with the the top transition of 90 degrees as the “S” shape shows, I presume, almost exactly how it broke and what forces were present after a downward strike towards the blade’s tip or handle’s butt from a baton.

The break is, from what’s visible in the images, precisely on the 90 degree transition.

I’ll draw a mock-up of how I think the forces caused the S shape fracture and why I think the loose guard helped increase the chance of failure by reducing the even distribution of those forces.

Looking at your pics, I’m curious about the exact way it was last struck with baton.
On that note, I think letting the looseness go unsolved was a potentially dangerous mistake and may have ultimately contributed to the break.

I really love the design and concept for the Respect Bowie, so I remain interested in any use, talk, testing, or even history behind the knife.

Edit: My wording made it sound too much like I was trying to tell everybody what happened lol
(I adjusted that now hopefully)
I’m really intrigued, so I just enjoy spitballing and thinking about what my own experiences have taught me about breaking things.
There are a lot of really knowledgeable people here. It would be a treat to hear what everyone else thinks.

I’m still trying to adjust to the forum and, honestly, I’m a little nervous with so many awesome members like Sal and Ankerson etc.
I’ve learned so much from only a little time and reading here! :)

Oh, and I hope things can be resolved for the OP! I’d be quite sad to break such a gorgeous blade. :(
Last edited by Cl1ff on Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
sal

Post by sal »

We'll need to get our engineers on it.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:49 pm
We'll need to get our engineers on it.

sal

Hi Sal,

WOW, that's unfortunate. :(

I did think the tang would have been wider and with radiuses on each side. But then the guard has to attach to something. :D

What do I know however?

Hopefully they can figure it out, it's such a nice design. :cool:

Jim
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Accidentally quoted my own post and can’t figure how to delete :confused:
You’d think someone as young as I am would be good at tech stuff, but not me!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:35 pm
Did it go well, Paul?

To be honest, never tried it. Something may have come up that day, but it completely slipped my mind.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

The knife will be in Golden tomorrow.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx.

sal
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Ouch. Maybe when the blade tilted all the batonning shock was concentrated in one spot by the guard?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

No response yet but I have a package on the way from spyderco. Either its a new knife or the old one.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:49 pm
No response yet but I have a package on the way from spyderco. Either its a new knife or the old one.

I am sure they sent you the broken one back. LOL

Spyderco is MUCH better than that.

Enjoy your new knife.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:57 pm
VashHash wrote:

Enjoy your new knife.
Honestly I sent it in more so for them to evaluate it. I'm curious about what caused the issue. I know I'm pretty heavy handed though. I'm not quite a knuckle dragger but I'm not far from it.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:04 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Thu Dec 17, 2020 2:57 pm
VashHash wrote:

Enjoy your new knife.
Honestly I sent it in more so for them to evaluate it. I'm curious about what caused the issue. I know I'm pretty heavy handed though. I'm not quite a knuckle dragger but I'm not far from it.

Just don't break the new one. :D :eek:
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

That’s nice to see!