Can't get no respect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Can't get no respect

Post by sal »

Thanx much.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

There are some people in the hard use market who think that stainless steel is too brittle to baton with. 3V might handle it, but the rest might not.

Maybe get 1095 or 5160 or something else proven for hard use for batoning and save the stainless for normal cutting.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

That’s not the case in my experience, Donut.
There are a lot of factors that affect batoning, but I don’t think there is any real correlation between Stainless steel and breaking knives when all other variables are removed.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

According to Larrin's testing, 1095 is not a particularly tough steel. AEB-L easily bests it in toughness. 5160 & 8670 are tougher, but at lower hardness. 3V is not really a stainless steel and its toughness is close to AEB-L. So, it really seems as though most makers choose the wrong stainless steel. That said, CPM 154 should be more than tough enough for the use seen in this thread, easily besting 1095 & O1.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/03/04/all-about-aeb-l/
https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/02/17/ ... fe-steels/
Edit to add one more link: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/05/20/ ... ery-knife/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Djangology

Post by Djangology »

I was going to start a new thread I thought I should just post this here. I've had the same thing happen to mine! First use - did some batoning and some chopping. I did about 20ish chops and then there was a ping sound as the blade went flying from the handle. The guard on mine is still fairly secure although you can muscle some wiggle now that the shoulder of the blade is no longer there. I've emailed Spyderco warranty and repair but I'm in Australia so hopefully this won't be to much of a hassle.

does anyone knows whether this issue has been addressed with a cqi?

Sorry that my first contribution to this forum after lurking since forever this tragedy!

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Djangology:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

I am very sorry to hear about your experience with the Respect. I recommend you send it in to Spyderco for warranty consideration.

Stay safe,

Mike
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Djangology wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:17 am
<snip>
Welcome! It's unfortunate that your first post had to be about a failure, but it needed to be posted. Spyderco should take care of you.

Gerber had recall about some knives breaking this way a few years back. I wonder if Spyderco should think about doing the same before someone gets hurt?
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
archangel

Post by archangel »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:07 am
Djangology wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:17 am
<snip>
Welcome! It's unfortunate that your first post had to be about a failure, but it needed to be posted. Spyderco should take care of you.

Gerber had recall about some knives breaking this way a few years back. I wonder if Spyderco should think about doing the same before someone gets hurt?

Exactly! This is a knife I'd expect to be fully capable of chopping or batoning from a construction point of view, and at the same time has a very heavy blade that could cause serious injury when breaking off and flying around. This must not stay like that.

Welcome Djangology, by the way. I'm confident you will be helped.
Last edited by archangel on Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm glad someone else is actually using their respect. Shame this problem arose again. Hopefully they will get you squared away. I haven't done a lot of chopping with my replacement yet. I'll have to start putting it through the paces again.
Last edited by VashHash on Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Djangology

Post by Djangology »

Thank you all for the kind welcome! I've sent it away today. Hopefully it is just a freak occurrence although I have a feeling that it is the squared off shoulder that is causing the issue as one poster mentioned prior. VashHash, I hope you report back with any further testing.
Cheers all.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 7:43 am
I'm glad someone else is actually using their respect. Shame this problem arose again. Hopefully they will get you squared away. I haven't done a lot of chopping with my replacement yet. I'll have to start putting it through the paces again.
Eager to see if it holds up!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Trav64

Post by Trav64 »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:35 pm
I decided to just live with the rattle of the guard. So there I was on Friday making a fire and wanted to split some 2x4s. Figured I'd use the respect to baton them. Everything was going good until it wasn't. Everyone was worried about the hole being a weak spot but apparently it was the spot where the blade became the tang for the handle. Right where it enters the guard. This isn't the first time I've used this knife this way but it was the last time. :(

I will be sending this knife in for evaluation.
Wow thats nasty
Djangology

Post by Djangology »

Finally got my replacement! This is such a gorgeous knife!!! Thank you to the folks at Spyderco. I'm thinking of filming the testing I plan to do. After pondering on this on and off I feel more convinced that it's the squared off shoulder that is the root of the problem but we shall see. Fingers crossed!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Djangology wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:15 pm
Finally got my replacement! This is such a gorgeous knife!!! Thank you to the folks at Spyderco. I'm thinking of filming the testing I plan to do. After pondering on this on and off I feel more convinced that it's the squared off shoulder that is the root of the problem but we shall see. Fingers crossed!
Thanks for posting the update.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
hvarcz

Post by hvarcz »

Thats weird, its the same steel?
Djangology

Post by Djangology »

It is the same steel.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Donut wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:46 pm
There are some people in the hard use market who think that stainless steel is too brittle to baton with. 3V might handle it, but the rest might not.

Maybe get 1095 or 5160 or something else proven for hard use for batoning and save the stainless for normal cutting.
I've heard that same thing about most stainless blade steels having brittle properties. And it was an old machinist that told me that a while back. To this day he won't own any knife with stainless blade steel. However I've encountered a couple of stainless blade steels over the years that I bet won't break easy. The older 440V ( S60V) seems to have a toughness that you don't find in most stainless blade steels.

And with all the harsh abuse I've put a couple of my older knives with AUS-8 blade steel through they have held up well in spite of the abuse. But that's just from personal use and I'm not offering that as scientific proof by any means. Just my personal experiences.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I was just thinking about Bowie knives and remembered this thread.
Do we have any updates?

Btw, I cringed reading my "expert analysis" earlier in this thread. I don't think I was wrong, but you know how everything is in retrospect.
It definitely seems like the blade failures shown in this thread had a common cause, but I'm more interested in the success of any potential fix(es) or reports of no issues now.
I know Sal worked hard on the design.

Excuse me if this has been discussed elsewhere by now, since the last post in this thread is just over a year old already.

Buying one and testing it out myself isn't that out of reach for me anymore, so I may also plan to do just that.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’d love to hear from the two users who experienced the failures! Vashhash, is yours still going strong? Djangology hasn’t been back since these posts, I hope he’s been taken care of.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

Since the Respect wasn't on the discontinued list, I think thats good news for its future. I suspect that Sal wants it to stick around since it's a special knife and it'll probably receive some CQI.