Can't get no respect

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Can't get no respect

Post by VashHash »

I purchased a respect and decided to use it a while back to chop a point on a 2x4 so I could stick it in the ground. It worked out well but the guard became loose. I sent it to spyderco and in usual spyderco fashion they took care of it. Unfortunately I decided I would try again to chop a 2x4 to see if the guard was firmly in place.

It only took a few swings before it came loose again. This time I can shake it and it'll rattle. Last time I had to move it with my fingers.
Did I possibly receive a lemon? Another unfortunate thing is at this price point I'm not seeing a lot of people use these or at least not talking about it online. I wonder if maybe it's a design flaw.
Mike Blue

Re: Can't get no respect

Post by Mike Blue »

Maybe the fitment between the guard/blade/handle. The fix may require something to take up that gap like a shim, or JB Weld or the like. The 2x4 is a good shakedown.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Mike Blue wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:59 pm
Maybe the fitment between the guard/blade/handle. The fix may require something to take up that gap like a shim, or JB Weld or the like. The 2x4 is a good shakedown.
I think it's pressure fitted to the blade from the factory. That's the only reason I think it would come loose from chopping. I'm going to contact spyderco about sending it back again before I try to fix it myself.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

This might be a situation where red loctite is warranted.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Ldg

Post by Ldg »

Pass
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Returning the blade to the factory is usually the best choice unless you're handy with self repairs. If they've seen it once already, that's the direction to go.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

VashHash wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:30 pm
Did I possibly receive a lemon? Another unfortunate thing is at this price point I'm not seeing a lot of people use these or at least not talking about it online. I wonder if maybe it's a design flaw.

Can't say, at this point, but I might just try chopping a 2X4 with mine this afternoon and see if the same thing happens.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Well i decided to take it apart because it doesn't void warranty.
It looks like they use a spring pin to create the tension for the guard. There are also 3 raised areas to contact the blade.

A shot of one side with 2 raised areas.

And the other side with 1 raised area.

So what I think is happening is the vibration /shock is causing the pin to slip out. When I reassembled the knife I used a roll pin punch from my AR punch set. It has a flat side so it would fit between the blade and line up with the pin. I didn't drive it hard just tapped it back in.

Deacon if you do I would appreciate it. Again not many people are actually using these so feedback is very scarce.

Also i wanted to add that tapping the pin all the way back in it doesn't rattle anymore. If I use my fingers I can wiggle it but not nearly as bad as it was before.
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Interesting to me, thanks.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

I recall something about using the right tool for the job.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

WOW. It looks like its ment to be admired that respected.Very interesting thanks for sharing.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Superflex wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 pm
I recall something about using the right tool for the job.
If a knife with a blade as thick as the respect can't be used for chopping then what was it designed for? It's not a folding knife and it's not a kitchen knife. I don't feel like chopping a piece of wood is above its capabilities.
kgasp

Post by kgasp »

Hello.
Is the guard still loose?
Any answer from Spyderco?
I had a guard loose from another maker and sent it back. They welded it.
kgasp

Post by kgasp »

Of course it should handle chopping in my opinion.
I was about to buy one and start chopping but now I will wait. Thanks for the post VashHash.
Good thing I got my Province and it chopps (not a heavy hitter though with the thin light blade).
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I decided to just live with the rattle of the guard. So there I was on Friday making a fire and wanted to split some 2x4s. Figured I'd use the respect to baton them. Everything was going good until it wasn't. Everyone was worried about the hole being a weak spot but apparently it was the spot where the blade became the tang for the handle. Right where it enters the guard. This isn't the first time I've used this knife this way but it was the last time. :(

I will be sending this knife in for evaluation.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wow that's disappointing to say the least. I've had $35 blades handle that kind of task with no trouble and yet here we are. Hope they help
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I was actually thinking about this recently and was wondering if the rattling guard was ever addressed by Spyderco's warranty and repair department. I'd still be interested to know what is causing the rattle in the first place, before the break. (If it can be determined)
-Nick :bug-red
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

VashHash wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:35 pm
I decided to just live with the rattle of the guard. So there I was on Friday making a fire and wanted to split some 2x4s. Figured I'd use the respect to baton them. Everything was going good until it wasn't. Everyone was worried about the hole being a weak spot but apparently it was the spot where the blade became the tang for the handle. Right where it enters the guard. This isn't the first time I've used this knife this way but it was the last time. :(

I will be sending this knife in for evaluation.

Well that didn't take long.

Yeah send it in and see what they say.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input and sorry fr our problem. Please get it back to us.

sal
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

That's a .300" thick blade.......and it snapped off??