Blade Steels

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ftkinney

Blade Steels

Post by ftkinney »

I have an idea for a steak knife set and was wondering if anybody knew what would be the easiest steel to work with to (hopefully) make a knife from it. So far it seams like the high carbon steels (1084 & 5160) are pretty inexpensive while 440C is about 5 times as much I tend to think I would rather use a softer steel for the first time.

Or I could make a prototype from PVC, wich is quite soft and eazy to work with if there was a place that would cut it out of steel stock.

Thanks,

FTK
Zrexxer

Post by Zrexxer »

I wouldn't think you'd want to use high-carbon for knives contacting food products. And yes, I know many do and I still have some old high carbon butcher knives, which despite the best care will rust just by being looked at. I'd think the extra expense of stainless would be worth it.

Dan

I got these lines in my face from trying to straighten out the wrinkles in my life
ftkinney

Post by ftkinney »

Thanks Zrexxer,

I was thinking about the same thing. I had a Old Timer Golden Spike that I think was 1086 and it would rust up quite eazily.

I lived in Austin between 1991-1996 I really loved it. Hope to get back some day.

FTK
tique

Post by tique »

We've been testing out some kitchen knives we made a while back. A2 and O1, both are holding up well, the O1 has had some problems with corrosion, but the A2 one has been fine so far, but it is well taken care of too.