Change of opinion on CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
anycal

Re: Change of opinion on CBBL

Post by anycal »

I am typing this, as I am sitting here by my computer, with my dry ashy hands from all the washing, playing with my KC LW XHP, the dedicated office knife.

Yes, the G10 Manix has changed my opinion about CBBL. A combination of smother action of the cage in the liners, and added grip of the G10, brought this knife back to a favorite.

LW was my first Manix. I had two of them, and the LW is slippery in the right condition. I dropped it more than once, closing it one handed. I definitely have to pay closer attention with the LW.

Peter
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

anycal wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:22 pm
I am typing this, as I am sitting here by my computer, with my dry ashy hands from all the washing, playing with my KC LW XHP, the dedicated office knife.

Yes, the G10 Manix has changed my opinion about CBBL. A combination of smother action of the cage in the liners, and added grip of the G10, brought this knife back to a favorite.

LW was my first Manix. I had two of them, and the LW is slippery in the right condition. I dropped it more than once, closing it one handed. I definitely have to pay closer attention with the LW.

For me, I find I use the clip to get purchase on the knife when closing a cbbl, and the wire clip wasn't as helpful or substantial enough. And yes, the frcp can be slippery, too. Maybe these aren't issues for people with bigger hands, though.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Tiquito

Post by Tiquito »

That was my experience as well. I have a LW manix 2 and although I liked many aspects of the knife I found the lock difficult to use with one hand. That made me not care for the knife as much and not really care for the CBBL at all.

I decided to buy one of the the St.Nicks 4V exclusives despite being kind of luke warm on the Manix 2. When I got the knife I found that the lock was much easier for me to use than my LW. Although I generally like the spyderco wire clip a lot I believe the clip is what allows me to get more purchase and use the lock better.

Although I also really like most of my FRN models and prefer some other LW models to the g10 counterparts I own. The g10 4V Manix feels more secure in my hand.

In general I still like the compression lock more.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Exactly ^^^
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I was largely indifferent to the CBBL before I picked up a G-10 Manix 2 on a good deal late last year & now that I've spent a lot of time with it, it's grown on me. My Manix 2 has butter-smooth opening that I haven't experienced in any of my other Spydercos—it just feels very different (in a good way) from what I'm used to.

I guess I'd like the CBBL more if I could try it in a bunch of other knife designs & sort of build some muscle memory around it. As it stands, I still prefer a good mid-backlock or a compression lock over a CBBL, mainly because I'm more used to them. The majority of my folders are mid-backlock & compression lock knives and I still catch myself absent-mindedly trying to disengage the non-existent lockbar or compression lock tab when trying to close my Manix 2.