Change of opinion on CBBL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ChrisinHove

Change of opinion on CBBL

Post by ChrisinHove »

Not that anyone should care what I think...

I just picked up a Manix XL in a trade. I was a little tentative because I hadn’t enjoyed a Manix LW some years ago.

Wow! Is the XL sweet! No evidence of use, but the action is really smooth, the detent perfect, and the ergo’s perfect for my large mitts, which means I can easily manipulate the lock which wasn’t the case with the LW. Nicely made and finished, too.

I am now really very impressed with the CBBL. How about some Manix XL sprints?!?!?
Wartstein

Re: Change of opinion on CBBL

Post by Wartstein »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:51 am
Not that anyone should care what I think...

I just picked up a Manix XL in a trade. I was a little tentative because I hadn’t enjoyed a Manix LW some years ago.

Wow! Is the XL sweet! No evidence of use, but the action is really smooth, the detent perfect, and the ergo’s perfect for my large mitts, which means I can easily manipulate the lock which wasn’t the case with the LW. Nicely made and finished, too.

I am now really very impressed with the CBBL. How about some Manix XL sprints?!?!?

- CBBL: For me almost as good as my number one, the backlock.
- Manix XL: Could handle one. Just a really perfect knife as soon as it is in hand and gets used! Decided against it with a heavy heart, just cause I knew I´d probably very rarely actually carry it, and in many occasions a fixed blade instead
- Manix XL sprint: There was ONE once, right?! And for me: Make it a Manix XL lightweight sprint... translucent green linerless FRCP... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have an s90v/CF XL. I'm not aware of any other sprints. Were there any others?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:21 am
I have an s90v/CF XL. I'm not aware of any other sprints. Were there any others?

Yes, my question was about if there was a single one Sprint once (that's what I seemed to remember). Probably your version IS that sprint...

And hasn't there been a gitd Manix XL?!? Not sure...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

This is what Vivi kept asking for. Great knife. The only issue I had was the horns the butt rubbed my finger sore.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Ive had manix2 before that I had trouble with the lock so I didn't like the lock in general . When I got my rex45 manix2 I was easily able to open the lock and now I love the lock. Interesting how opinions change over time
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

I love my manix and cbbl. If they could get a cbbl in something like a pm2 I would sell most of my knives and just carry those cbbl pm2s.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:44 am
And hasn't there been a gitd Manix XL?!? Not sure...
I think that there was. I believe it was a forum knife, either EDC forums or USN?

I'd love to see a 3v Manix XL, but I'm not sure the sales would be there.

The Saint Nick's formula (DLC 4v) is almost made for this knife. I bet a Crucarta version would sell out almost instantly too.

Manix is my favorite platform,. and although I prefer the smaller size (I'd actually like to see an even smaller version too--Chap size CBBL would be amazing), the XL definitely has a place, especially for people with larger hands than mine.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The S90V Manix2 XL was a KnifeWorks exclusive (I treasure mine).

I don’t believe there have been any XL sprints. The Spydiewiki shows none, but does show two production variants. I don’t recall them.

Perhaps the Spydiewiki errs, but if not, the quiet reception of production XLs suggests Spyderco might not be keen on a sprint in which the company bears all costs.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've got 5 Manix's...man, I sure hate the CBBL :p

Honestly, it's my favorite lock. Really wish more models came with it instead of the compression lock. Also a great lock, but CBBL deserves more!

I also wonder if the CBBL keeps the price down on knives? Seems like PM2 and Manix are quite comparable in size and of materials being used. Besides the nested liners and lock type, I don't see much difference...yet the Manix is always the cheaper knife when offered in the same steel/G10 scales between the two.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:04 am
Ive had manix2 before that I had trouble with the lock so I didn't like the lock in general . When I got my rex45 manix2 I was easily able to open the lock and now I love the lock. Interesting how opinions change over time
Same happened to me with my first Manix. I got a backlock Manix for that reason, but didn't like the blockier handles quite as much, so I decided to give the cbbl another shot, and then I loved it. Now it's one of my favorite models and locks. I think I just needed to figure out how get a better purchase on the handle using the clip.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
208 tim

Post by 208 tim »

The first hands on for me, the lock is enjoyable. For me, it feels wide in the pocket and a bit of a pocket ripper. Plan on revisiting the platform again, maybe in the xl. Definitely feels good in my hands.
James Y

Post by James Y »

My G10 Manix 2 is one of my favorite knives, and IMO, it’s probably the most comfortable and secure-feeling Spyderco in my hand, and that’s saying a lot. The lockup is rock-solid, too.

I might rate the CBBL as my second-favorite lock. However, I always wonder how dirt and grime might affect the lock. Other lock types are pretty easy to clear out the gunk from.

Jim
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

James Y wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:56 am
However, I always wonder how dirt and grime might affect the lock. Other lock types are pretty easy to clear out the gunk from.

Jim
I agree this is one downside of the cbbl. A while back I was using this stuff called artimud to fill a hoof crack and had some on my gloves when I used my manix. It's about the consistency of wet clay. Anyhow it definitely got into the area around the cage and the grooves of the cage. I used the toothpick on my SAK to pick out as much as I could, but it would've been easier to clean out on a comp lock. Regardless, it didn't seem to affect functioning, and I still haven't bothered to open it up to really clean it all.
- Julia

bowmanh1

Post by bowmanh1 »

I have several Manix 2's and some of the CBBL's required break in before they were easy to use. But once they're broken in they're great!
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Would love to see an XL Manix in either REX 45/K390/M390 or any other upgraded steel; I'd jump on it faster than a hobo on a sammich!!!

In the meantime I'll keep using my S90V XL... :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I kinda went the other way. I realized that I don't like how I need to get traction on the back of the handle with my palm in order to get enough leverage to pull the lock back. This means I need to change my grip around to unlock it and it isn't quite as fluid for me as a compression lock or even back or liner locks. I'm torn on it all because I do like that it's ambidextrous, I love that it has very little friction on the blade while opening, I love that blade centering has never been a problem for me when reassembling them. It has been a long time since I handled the XL and I've never owned one, but it seems to me the longer the handle is, the more of an issue this would be and the easier it would be the shorter/smaller the handle is since it would be easier to plant it into the palm of my hand.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i’ve found that the g10 versions are easier to deal with/have better action than the lw versions. i like them, but a compression lock is more fun.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:45 pm
i’ve found that the g10 versions are easier to deal with/have better action than the lw versions.
Agreed. It was hard for me to get a good enough grip on the lw I had to comfortably disengage the lock. I have thought about giving it another shot with the rex lw coming out, though. I really want to like that model.
- Julia

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:08 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:45 pm
i’ve found that the g10 versions are easier to deal with/have better action than the lw versions.
Agreed. It was hard for me to get a good enough grip on the lw I had to comfortably disengage the lock. I have thought about giving it another shot with the rex lw coming out, though. I really want to like that model.
i doubt i'll ever get rid of my xhp manix 2 lw. i seriously love it. i carry it less lately because the yo2 is more fun to carry, but it's still my favorite knife design. it's super comfortable in hand and i do like the lock. the only thing i don't like about the lw is that you can't take it apart. people complained about locktite and it went away. i wish spyderco would do the same with these pins.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C