Question to Sal (and generally)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Larry_Mott

Question to Sal (and generally)

Post by Larry_Mott »

Reading a post on Facebook about the bladeswelove PM2 conversion to Smock-type button compression lock, one guy suggested this should be the standard for compression locks moving forward.
Now, i can't help but think that, neat as it might be, it's kinda niche and if it was that revolutionary Spyderco would have made one years ago.
It's not like button or compression locks are new inventions, and combining the two must have been thought of before the Smock.
Sal, please give me your take on it!
And other forum members, please chime in with your thoughts!
(No disrespect for Kevin Smock or Bladeswelove intended, i just question the button release comp. lock being the revolutionary new 'thing'.)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Wartstein

Re: Question to Sal (and generally)

Post by Wartstein »

I certainly have enough experience with several comp.lock knives, but non with the button comp. lock ( = the Smock) so I can´t really weigh in here.

Generally I find things to be the most genious, if they work perfectly, but are as simple as possible. That would be a point for the "regular" comp. lock I guess..

That being said: Things I slightly dislike in the "regular" comp. lock in certain scenarios:

- The lock tab can be a bit to recessed and/or small and by that not ideal to operate with lets say cold, clumsy fingers (Kapara as far as I can remember from the one I had)
- The "typical" one handed closing with the regular comp. lock ("pinching" handle and lock tab and swing the blade closed) is maybe less secure concerning dropping the knife than it would be with a button lock (pinching button and handle is a bit more like you´d hold a CBBL and maybe a bit more "safe" than pinching lock tab and handle)

Just very minor issues though - NOT enough that I´d want the comp. lock being changed to a button version, I am sure I prefer the "regular", "traditional" version.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86314&p=1410966#p1410966

This topic sort of came up recently in another thread.

It appears that Spyderco developed numerous methods to unlock a compression lock, and chose the tab as the primary implementation over the button release and others. The standard tab release may have won out over the button early on based on cost, manufacturing and usability/ergonomics.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:30 am

And other forum members, please chime in with your thoughts!

It seems to me that added complexity of a button would diminish from the elegance of the compression lock.

I only own one compression lock, but would certainly own a Para 3, Sage 5, and a Shaman if the compression lock was LH.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The big scoop / choil thing necessary to accommodate the button doesn’t do it for me, I’m afraid.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:54 am
The big scoop / choil thing necessary to accommodate the button doesn’t do it for me, I’m afraid.

100% this. I might have bought a Smock if it wasn't for the gigantic cutout in the blade.

Also seems like I remember Sal or someone saying the original patent for the CL had a button operation anyway so they didn't exactly reinvent the wheel. If this design can be done without the blade cutout then I'd be interested, the Autonomy kinda sorta works the same and it doesn't need the cutout but then the plunger also doubles as a blade lock so it's not exactly a straight comparison.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I have to agree, though I like my Smock and think it's a unique knife for many reasons...I likely wouldn't buy another button lock knife unless it's got a pretty long blade and the cutout acted more as an actual useful choil. That snag point can be a bit annoying at times
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

The button operated compression lock has its effect on the overall design, some of that may not be beneficial but rather introduce some negative elements. The original smock design incorporates a finger choil because of blade closing interference, which is good if you like finger choils. The actuating button must be so placed as to minimize actual operation of that lock during use. That has to have some affect on how the handle is designed.
I can’t see where much is gained by incorporating a button compression lock release on a knife. But I can see the restrictions that places on the designer, and ultimately the user.

It is difficult to see how a new Spyderco button release compression lock design would deal with those two factors. On a personal note I like the compression lock as designed and built by Spyderco.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would still like to see a comp lock with the tab extended and folded 90 degrees to make flat surface instead of the uncomfortable cut-out.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:53 am
I would still like to see a comp lock with the tab extended and folded 90 degrees to make flat surface instead of the uncomfortable cut-out.
This is the mod I've been thinking about most myself.
Like converting Spyderco knives to flippers, I've always realized it took away more from most knives than it added before I ever got around to prototyping it.
But I'd still like to see an augmented- tab release on a new design someday. Something like the Kapara or Ikuchi with minimal room for access to the lock tab.
—Daniel Jackson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I see the PM2 as the sparest Spydie (everything you need, nothing you don’t), and fantastic because it is. Why reverse all the Glessers’ thoughtful paring with an idiot button?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I think the button is kind of cool but only if there's no chance of squeezing it during use. It doesn't seem to be an issue for me with the Smock. So maybe it wouldn't be an issue on other models.

I should note that I've never really had an issue using the tab any of my CL knives. It's out of the way for me and easy (for me) to access when I need to. The only model that's kind of difficult for me to access the CL is the Hanan. I can do it so I guess it's not really an issue for me

As mentioned, Sal had said there were several versions of the CL in their patent. I assume they weighed the pros & cons of each and decided to use the version they thought best. Done! I love how some of these guys second guess how things are done when they don't know all the reasons why Spyderco does something the way they do
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Larry,

There were number of concerns that we had to consider.

I invented the Compression lock more than a decade ago. At the time, "Assisted Openers" were big and there were a lock of legal cases which Kershaw fought constantly and I take off my hat for their courage and funds spent. "Flick knives" were under attack and some locks that permitted knives to be flicked open were also coming into question. "Flippers" had not yet been developed. The patent for the Compression Lock included the button release as well as other release mechanisms.

Many countries were making new laws against knives that imitated switchblades of they just considered quick opening knives as being dangerous ( Canada, UK, Denmark, Germany, Australia, etc.).

We were working on various detents to make sure that our knives could not be easily inertia opened.

We were also concerned for safety in dealing with accidental closure of the blade. The Compression lock as we built it was: quite simple, secure, strong and reliable without adding parts.

Now, Switchblades are becoming legal in many places, clips showing are "intimidating" and the knife entire industry is catty-wompass, so we're still watching closely

hope that helps?

sal
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would not trade a compression lock for the button one on the Smock. Simplicity is my thing. The button comp adds complexity and drawbacks, with no real benefits over a standard compression lock.

Zero interest.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

sal wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:55 pm
Hi Larry,

There were number of concerns that we had to consider.

I invented the Compression lock more than a decade ago. At the time, "Assisted Openers" were big and there were a lock of legal cases which Kershaw fought constantly and I take off my hat for their courage and funds spent. "Flick knives" were under attack and some locks that permitted knives to be flicked open were also coming into question. "Flippers" had not yet been developed. The patent for the Compression Lock included the button release as well as other release mechanisms.

Many countries were making new laws against knives that imitated switchblades of they just considered quick opening knives as being dangerous ( Canada, UK, Denmark, Germany, Australia, etc.).

We were working on various detents to make sure that our knives could not be easily inertia opened.

We were also concerned for safety in dealing with accidental closure of the blade. The Compression lock as we built it was: quite simple, secure, strong and reliable without adding parts.

Now, Switchblades are becoming legal in many places, clips showing are "intimidating" and the knife entire industry is catty-wompass, so we're still watching closely

hope that helps?

sal
Yes, thanks for taking the time to answer, much appreciated!
By the way you should get a wee gift soon, along with a evaluation knife from Sweden
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
DukeBrnz

Post by DukeBrnz »

“ clips showing are "intimidating"” hahahaha Bless you Sal, you’re a more patient man than I.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Pocket clips intimidating? For fox sake. The older I get, the less I like people.