POLL - Manix 2 ffg SE anyone?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you like to see a Manix 2 (ffg) in full SE (LW or G10)? (Two options possible)

No, I am not interested in such a model
39%
Yes, I´d like to see full SE in the G10 version
29%
Yes, I´d like to see full SE in the LW version
32%

Total votes: 82

Wartstein

Re: POLL - Manix 2 ffg SE anyone?

Post by Wartstein »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:26 pm
This is the most interesting thread. I know there are SE proponents here but they seem to be in the minority. I am getting more interested in SE but of course reluctant to spend money on a feature that I might not like. Other than special circumstances such as use with lines, seatbelts and so forth it is difficult for me to imagine how SE ground blades would be as precise as a sharp plain edge blade in the same or similar steel.

These days which I spent mostly around the house and a bit in the neighborhood, I carry a small slip joint and one of my para three knives. I can’t really see carrying a SE blade also just in case I might need one. That need has never arisen so far.

I also suspect that the market for SE knives is relatively small since Spyderco tends to make more plain edge blades overall.

Michael,

- I could imagine (but can´t be sure of course) that "SE proponents seem to be in the minority" cause many people just haven´t given a proper, general purpose SE blade a fair try. Some perhaps just repeat what they think and hear must be true about spyderedges without having real, personal experience, or they have only experience with rather aggressive, specialized types of serrations.
- I did not expect much myself at all from my first, full SE (ffg) blade (Endela), but was just convinced or better blown away by its actual performance. It works just better for me in almost every task - yes, also "precise cutting" - and from a functional point of view I´d only carry the Endela SE any more (other than its cutting edge is a bit short for me (PM2-ish)).
- What I am talking about here is explicitly rather shallow, "non-aggressive" serrations in an ffg and preferably rather thin blade (other, more aggressive types of serrations might be even better in more special tasks like cutting thick rope, but not in normal day to day EDC tasks)
- I can´t tell how much of the for me superior performance of SE is due to the serrations themselves, and how much to the much acuter grind angle (chisel grind, so not 15 to 20 per side like in PE, but 15 to 20 inclusive), but I actually don´t care
- So: For me it is not if I NEED an SE blade (for special tasks). It is about if I want the imho generally superior cutting performance of a Spyderedge... and I DO. I´d honestly like at least 80% of my Spydies to be in ffg SE.

- I´d really encourage you (and anyone who really wants to weigh in on a "modern" Spyderedge): Try for yourself, good and not too expensive options with the for me "right kind" of serrations: Endela SE or Endura / Delica wharncliff SE (NOT! the "regular" Endura/Delica SE, those come on sabre grind!).
An even cheaper option would be the Tenacious lightweight SE, but judging just from the depictions it has a bit deeper, more aggressive type of serrations.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just realized that the Manix 2 LW is not only not available in full SE, but also not in comboedge... I thought so, and wanted to get one since there is no full SE, but comboedge it is only available in the S30V G10 version.

Maybe at least that (comboedge in the Manix LW) could be kindly considered by Spyderco if not full SE?
I still think the tall, rather thin blade in CTS BD1N should be great for "teeth"... :rolleyes: (perhaps even better than the same blade in S30V SE?)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Since lately some more people obviously came to like SE in ffg (see for example JD Spydos thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86706) I allow myself to bump this poll...

I am convinced that the Manix (and its tall, slicey blade) would be a great model for having "teeth"...