How Spyderco changed your approach to knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jewell

Re: How Spyderco changed your approach to knives

Post by Jewell »

Spyderco really turned me on to different steels. Way back when, it wasn't something I really considered. Because of all the different steels that Spyderco offers, I really have to do my research on what steel would best suit my needs.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really just made me more aware of ergonomics and function and what I like and don't like. Looking back, it's amazing how many years I spent using knives that I wouldn't even open my mail with today for those kinds of reasons.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

I carried older slipjoints all the time until I bought a PM2 when I found a knife shop in Richmond. That kind of ruined the slipjoints for me. I still have them, but almost never carry them..maybe sometimes in a suit I’ll carry a very slim slipjoint. The PM2 purchase also prompted me to try a few other modern knives...but I sold those off and am completely Spyderco as far as modern knives. The others were very good knives, but I just prefer the Spydercos...not always sure why, just a preference and they end up in the pocket.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Spyderco has educated me on everything that makes a good knife. I have learned how to sharpen and what features work best for me.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Spyderco, for me, was like stepping out of a Buick and stepping into a Bugatti. I carried SAKs for decades (and still do) and Opinels, but Spyderco is a whole different league fit and finish wise. The military connection, especially with the US Coast Guard, is another draw. It all started the day I picked up the Endura my son got me and something about that feel struck me.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

For me:
First Spyderco' were purchased in the late 1980's, really got into Spyderco's in the mid 2000's
Ergonomics were a big factor to me especially the opening hole! My EDC is a Caly 3.5 g-10 and a few other Spyderco EDC's.
Then collecting really set in and current inventory is 380 Spyderco's
BUT most of all it is Spyderco the company, I have been to SFO a couple of times and once Mrs. Gail Glesser gave me a full tour!
I had the pleasure of visiting Sal and Michael Janich at the Blade Show one year; the company with its philosophy and dedication to their work is amazing, it is not the money to them it is the innovative product, CQI, and the end user.
Last edited by CXXX on Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

After buying and selling many quality slip joints, the last of them are going on the market. I also previously to that had bought and sold, used, evaluated, Spyderco knives to gain knowledge about how different knives do and do not work for me.
Now, having a good idea of my needs for a folding knife these days, I am focusing on Spydercos again but this time as a much more knowledgeable and self aware user. I pay attention to Spyderco’s CQI and, if a design isn’t ready for production it’s not released but sent back to the experts to fix what isn’t acceptable and throw in some of the latest
improvements.

Perhaps other knife companies principals stay in frequent touch with their users but I know Spyderco does and sees that as a valuable input to improve and innovate.

They make them as good as they can, then strive to make them better.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The Pacific Salt and H1 changed my approach to folding knives could be used on boats.

The GB1 changed my approach to folders could be taken hunting for dressing.

The Spyderco hole changed my approach to opening knives with dirty hands quickly and easily.

Spyderco changed my approach to steels and ergonomics and schooled me in quality over quantity. ( the later saving me countless $$s )

(Don’t buy as many now as I have enough knives for 6 lifetimes and have tried to stop my consumerism. Only bad thing I have seen is the greed over sprints but know full well being a watch collector also this is everywhere in today’s world we live in.)
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I can't say Spyderco changed my approach to knives, they just made opening them much easier for me. I'd already made the jump from non-locking to locking years before, primarily because I have both a touch of arthritis and limited feeling in my hands and locking folders had less powerful back springs than slipjoints, so they were easier to open. The Spyderhole opener changed opening a locking folder from being less difficult than opening a slipjoint to being easy and painless.

Before Spyderco I carried a variety of knives, from a sub-2" Scrade LB-1 when working inside prisons to a Buck 110. So, if anything the maximum blade length and weight I'm comfortable carrying have gone down a bit, as I hardly ever carry a Spyderco with a blade over 3.5" or a weight of more than 4.5 oz.

Honestly, the only thing that "changed my approach to knives" was moving out of NY. Now I get to choose between carrying a conventional locking folder with a Spyderhole opener and carrying a knife that opens with the push of a button and often choose to carry both. :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, I used to have just one good knife. Now I have quite a few of them.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:49 pm
Well, I used to have just one good knife. Now I have quite a few of them.
Perfectly concise! Thanks, Tom. :spyder: :cool:
turttlepockets

Post by turttlepockets »

The primary knife that I carry must have the ability to meet a certain level of requirements. Mainly it has to be able to be removed from pocket, pouch, or purse ( Men's or Women's) with one hand. Then it has to be deployed with one hand. Then the process reversed. It needs to be able to be done quickly and above all else, under High stress. Spyderco knives are the only knives that I have found that are reliable and durable enough that can meet my requirements without breaking the bank. I own and have tried many other brands. Everyday I walk out the door. I'm betting my life on a Spyderco. Because that's what is in my pocket.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Turtlepockets,

Welcome to our forum and thanx much for the confidence and kind words.

sal
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

The fact a knife company made a knife that you can cut things easily. blade geometry!
My first Spyderco was the old stainless steel handled one made in Japan. Clip to your pocket, pull it out with one hand, open it with one hand, close it with one hand. Wow, what a change from my Large Stockman Case.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It has definitely changed my approah.

First, with very few exceptions, I pretty much only buy spyderco.

Second I now have high standards for ergonomics, fit and finish, materials, quality, function/useability, etc.

Third I now care more and know more about steels than I ever thought I would.

Participating on this forum is also a plus.

Also its nice to have jimping that actually works. It has made me wonder why so many others even bother putting jimping in that seems to do nothing.

Serrations, warranty, cqi, making weird knives that no one else would attempt, experimentation, innovation, collaberations, the steels available, the list goes on.

I have also said this before but there is pretty much nothing that realistically competes with spydercos salt series.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It is very much like buying a car. I am always certain of which kind I want, and how it should be configured. My major decision is how it is made and what the support organization is that stands behind it.

I want the knife designer to be intimately involved in the entire process - idea, design, prototypes, testing, warranty and improvements over time. I want the head of the company to be accessible and responsive to the customer base.

During manufacturing I want hands and eyes involved so the end product is made as good as it can be. And I want it’s price to reflect all of that care and attention.

At this stage of my small knife journey I have the following knives left: SAK Cadet bought by me from the ship’s store in 1962, a Buck 112 bought in the early 1970s, a couple of Great Eastern Cutlery traditional slip joints and two Spyderco Para 3s. I have had many Great Eastern Cutlery and
Spyderco knives pass through my hands and now it’s come down to these. For my uses and aesthetics they are the best of the best.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation