The Manix Project...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

The Manix Project...

Post by JMM »

So I've been working on getting these two Manix's (or whatever plural is) set up the way I wanted, the blue one is Rex45 and the green one has M390 in it, but I intend to put K390 in it whenever that drops ;)

I'm also working on a red one to go with the St. Nick's, but as red anodizing titanium isn't a thing I'm still working on that one... :rolleyes:

I still have the ball cage to do on the blue one, and the clip to do on the green one.

Anyhow, as of this morning I got the blue hardware and I'm close to completion and thought I'd share, any thoughts or suggestions, positive or negative are welcome...

:D

Cheers,

John
curlyhairedboy

Re: The Manix Project...

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think they're gonna look great!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Where'd you get that hardware? I bought a titanium cage from flytanium and the quality is HORRID. I'm looking for something else to replace it with.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm
Where'd you get that hardware? I bought a titanium cage from flytanium and the quality is HORRID. I'm looking for something else to replace it with.
oh... that’s bad news. i was planning on trying this too. :(
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Hey Rinzler, what was the issue with the Flytanium cage? I was thinking about picking one up at some point. I’ve heard mostly neutral-positive things.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

You know I love those textured scales! Do you like the g10 ones as much as the micarta ones?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:22 pm
You know I love those textured scales! Do you like the g10 ones as much as the micarta ones?
I do, they are awesome, I have the OD green micarta scales, I'll post up a pic.... they didn't really fit into this particular project I wanted to do, but they go on pretty much all my Manix's that I EDC. :D
JMM

Post by JMM »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:51 pm
The green one is a Flytanium flat satin/plain that was polished pre-anodizing
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:28 pm
JuPaul wrote:
I do, they are awesome, I have the OD green micarta scales, I'll post up a pic.... they didn't really fit into this particular project I wanted to do, but they go on pretty much all my Manix's that I EDC. :D
I may have to try a g10 set. I've got the green micarta ones, too, and I absolutely love them. Wish they came in other colors, too!
- Julia

JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:36 pm
JMM wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
I may have to try a g10 set. I've got the green micarta ones, too, and I absolutely love them. Wish they came in other colors, too!
The green ones didn't come like that, or in a shade of green I wanted so I got the translucent toxic green ones and Rit-Dyed them the shade I wanted, came out exactly the way I wanted, I was checking them about every 30 seconds :p :D
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 pm
JuPaul wrote:
JMM wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
The green ones didn't come like that, or in a shade of green I wanted so I got the translucent toxic green ones and Rit-Dyed them the shade I wanted, came out exactly the way I wanted, I was checking them about every 30 seconds :p :D
Yours is a nice shade a green - I definitely prefer it to the kinda neon and od green ones they sell. I really like the white g10 ones, too. I think they'd look pretty great with a dlc blade, until they got dirty anyhow. But if they ever really got an unwashable stain I could dye them any color. Something to think about until they're back in stock!
- Julia

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Gorgeous! I like that green a lot. If someone would offer a green Manix 2 LW I think I'd have to jump on it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Those look great. Maybe I need to re-visit some of my Manii (which is the correct plural for Manix, if you're wondering--I just made that up).

Anyone know where you can get Terotuff scales for a Manix?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
JMM wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Those grooved Putman scales are great, I love mine too. Took me a minute to warm up to them, once they wore in a bit...I was hooked! Really hoping he comes out with some denim blue!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Theldraskien wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 pm
Hey Rinzler, what was the issue with the Flytanium cage? I was thinking about picking one up at some point. I’ve heard mostly neutral-positive things.
Functionally it is fine. The quality control is extremely poor. The best way to describe it is that a bunch of third graders made it out of clay. The cage's jimping is not well defined. The depressions between the ridges are full of what best I can describe as "slag". The coating is dull and rough also - very different than the finish on their scales. Being made in China the quality is not up to par for the price that I paid.

If I knew this beforehand I would not have bought the cage.
razorburn

Post by razorburn »

Rinzler wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 pm
Theldraskien wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:16 pm
Functionally it is fine. The quality control is extremely poor. The best way to describe it is that a bunch of third graders made it out of clay. The cage's jimping is not well defined. The depressions between the ridges are full of what best I can describe as "slag". The coating is dull and rough also - very different than the finish on their scales. Being made in China the quality is not up to par for the price that I paid.

If I knew this beforehand I would not have bought the cage.
I got two of the Flytanium bearing cages the only flaw was a tiny burr on an inside edge.Except for this they are fine.All I can say it should of been returned to where ever it was purchased, the merchant or manufacturer.

Pictured is mine with the Blue Titanium cage

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Jesus, this picture just blew up 4 of my subbed threads. 1 or 2 is enough man!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mako109

Post by Mako109 »

Looking good JMM!

I did the same mods, one with green hardware and one with blue, both with smooth CF scales. Guess I got lucky as fit and finish on both ball cages are perfect. I also replaced the SS ball with a ceramic one. An unexpected benefit, now both knives make a subtle mechanical clickety-click sound which I love. Not sure what's causing it, the Ti ball cage, the ceramic ball, or the combination.

Trying to get another Ti ball cage for a P'kal mod but appears Flytanium has been out for a while. Anyway, here's a pic of one of my Manixes in M390:
JMM

Post by JMM »

Mako109 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 11:47 am
Looking good JMM!

I did the same mods, one with green hardware and one with blue, both with smooth CF scales. Guess I got lucky as fit and finish on both ball cages are perfect. I also replaced the SS ball with a ceramic one. An unexpected benefit, now both knives make a subtle mechanical clickety-click sound which I love. Not sure what's causing it, the Ti ball cage, the ceramic ball, or the combination.

Trying to get another Ti ball cage for a P'kal mod but appears Flytanium has been out for a while. Anyway, here's a pic of one of my Manixes in M390:
Thanks! And that looks awesome, I see you have fine taste in deep-carry clips as well. ;)
JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:42 pm
JMM wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 pm
JuPaul wrote:
JMM wrote:

Yours is a nice shade a green - I definitely prefer it to the kinda neon and od green ones they sell. I really like the white g10 ones, too. I think they'd look pretty great with a dlc blade, until they got dirty anyhow. But if they ever really got an unwashable stain I could dye them any color. Something to think about until they're back in stock!
Here's the OD Green Micarta scales on my Fradon 4V Manix, I still have the Brass screw set & brass lanyard tube yet to do, but it's coming along... I really hope they start putting out Micarta scales in different colours, I read somewhere that Coyote Tan was coming soon, fingers crossed.... :D

Cheers,

John