Choosing Delica 4 FFG variant

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
pantagana23

Choosing Delica 4 FFG variant

Post by pantagana23 »

For the past 10 years I've been mostly ignoring Delica, as it aesthetically didn't appeal to me, but I've been using my Salt 1 lately, as it's the only knife I can rinse in alcohol after usage (Covid-19 conditions :D ), and said to myself: what the ****, I want to try Delica, its handle will fit my hand just fine and will give me more edge than my Native + it's not so blocky.

So I started browsing.

I'm showing prices to my country.

Standard Delica - 86 USD + 10 transport

GITD Delica - 95 USD + 13 transport

M390 Delica - 108 USD + 67 transport

If I remove ridiculous transport pricing from BBS, we have only 22 USD difference between plain old VG10, and a supersteel M390, which really feels awkward.

Really not sure how to proceed with this one.

Someone please give me an inspiration.
JustinB

Re: Choosing Delica 4 FFG variant

Post by JustinB »

The standard Delica in VG10 is no slouch. I believe that Cutleryshoppe has a Orange/Black some Delica in Hap40 too. I am a fan of my endura in that particular flavour :D
Justin :spyder:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am sure you´re aware of that the Salt 1 you own features the "old", shorter, and differently shaped Delica-handle?
So the Delica 4 will have different ergos, which I personally really love, but some don´t like the placement of the finger grooves.

That being said: Since you have a more "regular" shaped blade in the Salt 1, why not go with a wharncliff Delica?
If serrated in VG10, if PE I´d take HAP 40 (the latter can be found for about the same price (and shipping...) as the M390 version)

I personally would go with the SE VG10 wharncliff. VG10 is a great steel for serrated edges, add the thin ffg blade and you´ll certainly have an amazing cutter... (the "regular" SE Delica is sabre grind, not ffg)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:22 pm
I am sure you´re aware of that the Salt 1 you own features the "old", shorter, and differently shaped Delica-handle?
So the Delica 4 will have different ergos, which I personally really love, but some don´t like the placement of the finger grooves.

That being said: Since you have a more "regular" shaped blade in the Salt 1, why not go with a wharncliff Delica?
If serrated in VG10, if PE I´d take HAP 40 (the latter can be found for about the same price (and shipping...) as the M390 version)

I personally would go with the SE VG10 wharncliff. VG10 is a great steel for serrated edges, add the thin ffg blade and you´ll certainly have an amazing cutter... (the "regular" SE Delica is sabre grind, not ffg)
I like the Salt 1 because of the sheepsfoot shape, a wharncliffe is too much a straight line for me. Much prefer to have a little of that belly on the blade.

As for the serrated edge, I have no clue on the sharpening, only read some stories on the forums, so it would probably be in use until the edge dulls, and then go to the closet.

One of my favourite steels is M390, this is why I put it in the list.
GITD is there because it's, let's face it, cool :D
Not sure what to think on think on the pricing; MAPs have gone up during the years, so now either the standard Delica is too pricey, or the M390 is a **** of a bargain.

If BBS owner made shipping prices a little more convenient, I wouldn't have a second thought. Now I'm just indecisive.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Hi pantagana. I saw your profile and it says Croatia.
Are you seeing prices from the USA or inside the EU? I believe you can get better deals on the standard Delica from one of Europe's Amazon.
Do you have a sharpmaker? If that's the case it's easy to sharpen serrated edges.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

tonijedi wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:05 pm
Hi pantagana. I saw your profile and it says Croatia.
Are you seeing prices from the USA or inside the EU? I believe you can get better deals on the standard Delica from one of Europe's Amazon.
Do you have a sharpmaker? If that's the case it's easy to sharpen serrated edges.
Mostly looking on eBay. Somehow customs missed me so far (time to knock on the wood a couple of times :D )
Amazon.de has the same pricing as eBay.

Coutellerie Tourangelle and Lamnia have MSRPs in € (i.e. if Delica is 84 $ on eBay, and MSRP is 110 $, they have it for 110 € or more).

Don't have the Sharpmaker; have a Fallkniven diamond/ceramic stone. So far it's doing well on steels as hard as XHP, but am planning on buying Sharpmaker in the near future.

As for the serrated edges, as much as they look cool and must be great to use, I'm 99% certain that my edge would be crap on the first sharpening, so I'm just skipping such knives.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

pantagana23 wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:34 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:05 pm

Don't have the Sharpmaker; have a Fallkniven diamond/ceramic stone. So far it's doing well on steels as hard as XHP, but am planning on buying Sharpmaker in the near future.

As for the serrated edges, as much as they look cool and must be great to use, I'm 99% certain that my edge would be crap on the first sharpening, so I'm just skipping such knives.

Ok, in that case: Postpone the Delica, get a sharpmaker first... :D - it´s great for any knife and first and foremost would open the realm of serrated edges to you... I am far from being a master sharpener, but with the sharpmaker SE knives are easy to sharpen, believe me. Perhaps even easier than PE blades....

As for shipping costs from the US to Europe: There are companies who offer an US post box for free, so you only pay the shipping costs inside USA (if there are any) and then the knife gets forwarded to you for around 10 to 15 USD... I used "myus.com" for that, but fellow forum member archangle posted quite recently that they would not ship knives anymore.. But there are other vendors too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:22 pm

As for shipping costs from the US to Europe: There are companies who offer an US post box for free, so you only pay the shipping costs inside USA (if there are any) and then the knife gets forwarded to you for around 10 to 15 USD... I used "myus.com" for that, but fellow forum member archangle posted quite recently that they would not ship knives anymore.. But there are other vendors too.
I had even a better option - an acquiantance being 1st officer on a cruiser docked in US for a part of the year. Knife delivers to ships PO box, and he brings the knife.

But this was pre-corona.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I still say the KnifeCenter Pakkawood exclusive in Hap40 is the best Delica out there. Currently available.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I agree, the Knife Center pakkawood delica is definitely the most beautiful delica I own, and hap40 is a great non-stainless steel. (Side note: I have always wanted one of the Santa Fe stoneworks delicas that Knifeworks also sells, but they are pricey). Cutlery Shoppe also still has their hap40 delica for $96. If you prefer stainless steel, though, Knifeworks still has their s90v exclusive delica for $109.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Or you can keep it simple and just get one of VG-10 with the handle color you prefer. Nothing wrong with VG-10. It's very stainless and sharpens to a keen edge. I still have my blue one and another with a set of Boomer52's Lil Para scales
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Just buy 3 and you save the shipping twice...... There is a saving for you.

Hardly ever let a knife ship by it’s little own lonesome.

Also the GITD Delica rocks :D
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

My vote goes for GITD. I have one and although I don't like the Delica, the GITD is awesome!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:09 am
Just buy 3 and you save the shipping twice...... There is a saving for you.

Hardly ever let a knife ship by it’s little own lonesome.

Also the GITD Delica rocks :D
Agree, just one would get lonely on the long trip to Europe! If I'd never had a delica, and I wanted to try 3 variations, I'd go to Knife Center and get 1)the hap40 pakkawood, 2)a PE vg-10 in my favorite color, and 3) a SE vg-10 or a SE tasman salt.
- Julia

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I'd consider it safe to rinse any of my Spydercos in alcohol, bar the wood or micarta scaled ones..
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:25 am
I'd consider it safe to rinse any of my Spydercos in alcohol, bar the wood or micarta scaled ones..
I agree. Even wood and micarta migh do well, but you'd need to test first :rolleyes:
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Sorry guys, not looking at non- stainless, and wood handles are too much maintenance.

Knifeworks ships to the US only (S90V is also fine).

Basically looking between those 3 models from the first post.
I was only dissapointed that standard VG10 one price got so close to supersteel.

Though the M390 with transport comes close to 180 $ so bigger difference does occur.
sok

Post by sok »

Wait for the K390 version.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

pantagana23 wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:18 am
Sorry guys, not looking at non- stainless, and wood handles are too much maintenance.

Knifeworks ships to the US only (S90V is also fine).

Basically looking between those 3 models from the first post.
I was only dissapointed that standard VG10 one price got so close to supersteel.

Though the M390 with transport comes close to 180 $ so bigger difference does occur.
Have you looked on ebay for a used m390 one? Might get lucky...
- Julia

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm not sure that shipping rates are really up to the vendor - sure, they could try to find another shipper that offers more economical shipping, but I bet they just don't do enough international business to warrant it. I'm pretty sure that BBS is some guy with a bunch of knives in his garage, so don't fault them too hard.

I'd go with a plain-jane Delica with an FRN color of your choice. The Delica shines as an economy knife, so pickup the most economy one you can! Thin blade, lightweight handle, easy to sharpen steel, what more could you ask for? I like the green and the blue.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.