Native chief vs Endura?. **Now with pics**

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DOUBLE D

Native chief vs Endura?. **Now with pics**

Post by DOUBLE D »

Anyone have any good comparisons, pictures, or recommendations?.

I'm an endura guy, but I'm wondering if the chief is an upgrade that is worth the price difference
Last edited by DOUBLE D on Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Native chief vs Endura?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'm curious, as well. Love the Endura but am wondering how the Chief compares, especially if it's offered in SE :)
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I don’t own a chief but I believe its blade is a bit longer than the endura’s. It compares closer to the military and police models, it’s in that size range. :spyder:
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

The Chief is really good. I cant imagine it disappointing anybody.

If the endura didnt have those darn points in the handle it would probably be one of my favorite knives. That one little thing kills it for me. I should just start sanding them down so that I can have enduras that I enjoy.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

If the endura didnt have those darn points in the handle it would probably be one of my favorite knives. That one little thing kills it for me. I should just start sanding them down so that I can have enduras that I enjoy.
Lol, that's exactly what I do on my Endura's. The front point mostly. The back one doesn't bother me. I'll send a pic tomorrow when I get home if I can remember how to post a pic.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I own two Enduras at the moment and had quite a bit more in the past, but don´t own a Chief, so my thoughts on the latter are just theoretical.

The Endura (together with the Stretch 1) is my favorite folder of all times, but I really want to try a Chief. Only thing that´s holding me back: I am hoping for a "Chief LW" (not that the current Chief is "heavy" by any means, but an LW would come in FRN, which I prefer over G10).

For an Endura-guy the Chief is an amazing knife just by its specs alone: Closed length is practically the same in Endura and Chief, but the Chief still mangages to pack a clearly longer blade into the handle (blade 4.08" vs 3.75"). And despite having a full forward choil, it still also has a longer actual edge,
Due to the "humpless" spine of the Chief, it might be an even better/less wide carry than the Endura.

I am not necessarely a fan of finger choils in every knife, but the Chief does everything right in that regard imho; Forward choil, but still a lot of cutting edge and still more than enough space on the actual handle behind the choil

I figure the Chief has that perfect Golden backlock like the Native has. I am perfectly happy with the Endura backlock, don´t get me wrong, but the Natives is even better,

Given that I really like S30V (and probably would like REX 45 even more so since HAP 40 perhaps is my favorite steel), the Chief could be an "upgrade" over the Endura indeed... if it came in FRN

Only downside for me personally: The probably less robust tip of the Chief compared to the Endura tip (which is pointy enough for me, but a bit reenforced due to the "drop" in the spine towards the tip).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

trick question. the correct answer is pacific salt se. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Monty

Post by Monty »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:26 pm
Winner winner, chicken dinner. 😉

I don't like choils on anything larger than the Dragonfly at this point. It doesn't seem like any larger offering with one fits well when not using the choil and the cutting edge is unnecessarily distanced from your grip.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Monty wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:44 pm
ladybug93 wrote:

I don't like choils on anything larger than the Dragonfly at this point. It doesn't seem like any larger offering with one fits well when not using the choil and the cutting edge is unnecessarily distanced from your grip.
i can’t agree with that. i love the native and manix.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Monty wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

In small/midsized knives like Native, Para 3 and so on for me a choil is a bit of a drawback if one wants a universal all purpose knife , cause here the choil both sacrifices edge length and first and foremost handle length to a degree where I can't get a good four finger grip on the actual handle anymore (despite the handle would have enough overall length for that without the handle part of the choil).

DFly/ Chap size: A choil is GREAT and mandatory for a good four finger grip
Manix size: A choil is fine, cause it still leaves enough space on the actual handle
Chief size: A choil is very good, cause it still leaves both a lot of edge AND enough space on the actual handle..

Just my 2c of course.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 pm
Monty wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

In small/midsized knives like Native, Para 3 and so on for me a choil is a bit of a drawback if one wants a universal all purpose knife , cause here the choil both sacrifices edge length and first and foremost handle length to a degree where I can't get a good four finger grip on the actual handle anymore (despite the handle would have enough overall length for that without the handle part of the choil).

Manix size: A choil is fine, cause it still leaves enough space on the actual handle
Chief size: A choil is very good, cause it still leaves both a lot of edge AND enough space on the actual handle..

Just my 2c of course.
Aftermarket scales prove that the ricasso on the Delica could easily be a choil, without sacrificing blade length or handle length. As the Delica comes from the factory, I can't get a comfortable grip on it. Sal seems to like ricassos and choils for safety. I'd rather have the increased functionality of a choil than the wasted space of a ricasso. My fat fingers and I are very glad that the Native exists.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ugaarguy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:42 pm
Monty wrote:
ladybug93 wrote:

Just my 2c of course.
Aftermarket scales prove that the ricasso on the Delica could easily be a choil, without sacrificing blade length or handle length. As the Delica comes from the factory, I can't get a comfortable grip on it. Sal seems to like ricassos and choils for safety. I'd rather have the increased functionality of a choil than the wasted space of a ricasso. My fat fingers and I are very glad that the Native exists.

Well, discussed a lot already ;) and I feel totally different (but of course there's no wrong or right here):

I have L to XL hands, and for me the Delica does everything right in that size class: Very generous handle even for bigger hands, and a Ricasso I personally (and many others) can perfectly choke up on at least as well as on most dedicated choils .. plus when gripped on the actual handle my hand still is rather close to the edge...

And, just said in another thread: Even choking up on the actual edge is no problem either for somewhat experienced knife users imho.(but not necessary on a Delica)

Would be a real shame if the great Delica design would be changed into yet another choiled knife in that size class: For those who want that we have Native, Para 3, Sage. . already...;)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

I have the Chief and I really like it.
I was thinking more then a few times about Endura.....but the finger grooves might not fit my hand.
I have Pac Salt 1 (thanks Warstein), and the grooves fit me perfect, not sure about Endura.

One thing that Endura has over the Chief is that is on the market for a long time, there is tons of version and sprint runs and to s of scales, different hardware and so on....but I think these are two excellent models for big EDC knife.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chief for me. The Endura ergos are not for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Chief without question. The Endura has an awful handle, the opposite of neutral.

Same with the Delica and Endela. They are the right design, with the wrong handle. The bad part is, they refuse to fix it, haha.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:30 am
Chief without question. The Endura has an awful handle, the opposite of neutral.

Same with the Delica and Endela. They are the right design, with the wrong handle. The bad part is, they refuse to fix it, haha.

The dislike by some of the Endura 4 handle is one of the big knife mysteries to me: I (L to XL hands) personally have always loved the Endura 4 ergos, even long before I joined this forum and knew anything what other people think about them, I honestly even can´t decide if I prefer the Stretch or Endura ergos...

I like the Pac Salt handle (= "old" Endura handle) too, but for me the E4 handle clearly is better: More comfortable, regardless if I put my thumb to the side of the blade (which I tend to do) or on the thumb ramp, it feels more stable, secure and like a "tighter fit" (more contact of the fingers with the handle) than the Pac Salt handle...

If I would not have learned that really experienced knife users / knife guys like you (Sumdumguy) or David (Evil D) don´t really like the E4 ergos, I´d honestly would have recommend this knife as an ergomomic masterpiece (which it is for me) at least for everyone who has about my hand size..
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:30 am

Apparently most people like the handles. I'd imagine average sized hands fit it really well, I'm just a couple sizes above average.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

ladybug93 wrote:
Hahaha I have one of those also!
DOUBLE D

Post by DOUBLE D »

Thanks for the excellent replies everyone. I may have to get my hands on a chief and do some side by side cutting work and photos. I'd that ever happens I'll post it all up here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

DOUBLE D wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:45 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:15 pm

Lol, that's exactly what I do on my Endura's. The front point mostly. The back one doesn't bother me. I'll send a pic tomorrow when I get home if I can remember how to post a pic.
I have to file down the front one also.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050