C46 Bob Lum

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Prospector

C46 Bob Lum

Post by Prospector »

Hello,
A few years ago I received a Spyderco folding knife as a gift. Now that I am in Corona quarantine I have been doing some research on it. It seems to me that it is something special. It is a Spyderco Bob Lum tanto C46GPBK with a black coating on the blade.
Is it really a special knife or am I mistaken?
Thanks
Michael Janich

Re: C46 Bob Lum

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, Prospector:

This page on SpydieWiki provides more information on the history of that model and the different versions of it that were made:

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C46_Bob_Lum

I hope it helps. Either way, you have a very cool knife designed by an iconic knifemaker who had profound influence on the knives we enjoy today.

Stay safe,

Mike
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It's is my favorite tanto folder.

You can't go wrong with any Spyderco that Bob Lum designed.

Special is subjective. I think it is, but others may not.

My advice, use it daily for a year and report back with how you feel about it. Then you will have the answer you seek. ;)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
LouisSeacamp

Post by LouisSeacamp »

I've known Bob for years, helluva nice guy and a great designer - never heard of ATS 34 til I met him!!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:45 am

My advice, use it daily for a year and report back with how you feel about it. Then you will have the answer you seek. ;)
IMO you can't go wrong with any *folder* Bob designed. I hold my Benchmade Onslaught, Dejavoo and 760 tanto in high regard. Also the Encounter by Seki cut.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

IMO you can't go wrong with any *folder* Bob designed. I hold my Benchmade Onslaught, Dejavoo and 760 tanto in high regard. Also the Encounter by Seki cut.
I am only interested in his Spydercos and his customs.

BMs go in the toilet, not the pocket. :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The C-46 Lum Tanto folder is about the only "tanto" type design that I really liked as a "user". I've owned several variants of that Spyderco model over the years and I also liked the fixed blade version of it as well.

Every time I EDC/carry that folder I get a ton of compliments on it. I don't regard it as practical as one of my C-36 Military, C-60 Ayoob or even any of my Calypso models either for that matter. But it's one Spyderco collector piece I'll probably keep.

It would be a great model to re-introduce in a supersteel blade.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:01 am
The C-46 Lum Tanto folder is about the only "tanto" type design that I really liked as a "user". I've owned several variants of that Spyderco model over the years and I also liked the fixed blade version of it as well.

Every time I EDC/carry that folder I get a ton of compliments on it. I don't regard it as practical as one of my C-36 Military, C-60 Ayoob or even any of my Calypso models either for that matter. But it's one Spyderco collector piece I'll probably keep.

I would do MANY things for an exact replica with a compression lock and M4, LC200N, or Vanax SC.

I wouldn't turn down VG-10, but it deserves something crazy!

-Thomas Jefferson
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:00 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

I am only interested in his Spydercos and his customs.

BMs go in the toilet, not the pocket. :p
That's your loss and my gain, but fair play to you!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I would do MANY things for an exact replica with a compression lock and M4, LC200N, or Vanax SC.

A EXACT replica with compression lock is a contradiction in terms..
As y'all know BHQ released a HAP-40 / snot scaled Lum tanto. I wouldn't mind if they did another run, steel irrelevant, just keep it 'as is' no **** compression lock please.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 11:09 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:05 am
JD Spydo wrote:

A EXACT replica with compression lock is a contradiction in terms..
As y'all know BHQ released a HAP-40 / snot scaled Lum tanto. I wouldn't mind if they did another run, steel irrelevant, just keep it 'as is' no **** compression lock please.
I thought about that when I was writing it, but decided to use it anyways.

At the end of the day, I just don't care for liner locks. I think a Tanto 2, with everything being identical, but the lock(;)) would turn it from a favorite design, into a favorite user. For me, atleast.

-Thomas Jefferson

Post by 013 »

I know this may be sacrilege, but, Spyderco Bob Lum rex45 frame-lock flipper tanto.
I believe it would generate many sales. After all, y'all know how the market is all about them frame-lock flippers.
The sword the body wounds, sharp words the mind.
- Menander :spyder: