How Durable?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Robert Ptacek

How Durable?

Post by Robert Ptacek »

Exactly how durable is the ball cage on the Manix 2 line of knives? Any breakage of the spring guide rod?
Wartstein

Re: How Durable?

Post by Wartstein »

I had a Manix 2 LW for quite some time (like a year or something), used it a lot, probably dropped it a few times...: No problems whatsoever.

And SHOULD something go wrong with the lock: I am sure Spydercos w&r dept. will help you out.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I've only heard of the original clear plastic ones breaking and also I have heard the clear or black ones breaking during improper reassembly by users
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

... and if you're really worried (you really don't have to at all though imho): I think there are aftermarket metal "tabs" for the CBBL.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I have several Manixes, which I carry quite a bit. Several of them have been dropped on rocks and concrete barn floors, and I've taken them apart and reassembled them multiple times (and I've managed to shoot the spring assembly across the room by accident while doing that ;) ). Never had one break.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have ten of them now, and I actually prefer the clear cage, just an aesthetics thing (in most cases) -- I've never had any problems with the clear or black ones, or in the aftermarket options like flytanium...
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

What is the proper plural of the manix? Manixes? Manixi? Would a group of Manixi be a herd, gaggle, murder, or a mess? Inquiring minds :p
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Manices?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

A matrix of Mani
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:30 pm
What is the proper plural of the manix? Manixes? Manixi? Would a group of Manixi be a herd, gaggle, murder, or a mess? Inquiring minds :p
If you want me to get all nerdy on you...the correct way to pluralize English words ending in x is to add -es. So Manix would be Manixes. The exceptions to that rule are typically for words derived from Latin, like index to indices, but even then, indexes is still acceptable as well.
- Julia

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Outstanding nerdiness, Julia. After 6 years of Latin you’d think I’d have remembered x —> c. Mea culpa (that was over 25 years ago now though. Holy :spyder: ! My 30th is coming up soon :eek: ).

Now what to call several Manices? A crowd? Crash? Smattering? So many good names for groups of things:

https://grammar.yourdictionary.com/word ... imals.html

P.s. sorry for the thread derail!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:33 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
If you want me to get all nerdy on you...the correct way to pluralize English words ending in x is to add -es. So Manix would be Manixes. The exceptions to that rule are typically for words derived from Latin, like index to indices, but even then, indexes is still acceptable as well.
Is it sad that I knew that? :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Robert Ptacek

Post by Robert Ptacek »

Thanks everyone for your answers.Much appreciated.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:30 am
JuPaul wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
No way, nerds of the world unite!
- Julia

JMM

Post by JMM »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:26 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
JuPaul wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Dyslexics of the world untie !!!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JMM wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:09 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:26 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
JuPaul wrote:

Dyslexics of the world untie !!!
😂
- Julia

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JuPaul wrote:
Woodpuppy wrote:
Yes, Manixes. :D I don’t think it is Latin based. Greek maybe? Still it is an English word.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

I’m Latin it go, because it’s Greek to me! 😀
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »