Spyderco Smock:Technical Showcase, Disappointing Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Spyderco Smock:Technical Showcase, Dud Knife

Post by elena86 »

I am lost here :eek: So, the knife looks well or at least the blade looks cool, it's a dream to open and close, it's very thin behind the edge and cuts like a champ, the handle is neutral enough to use multiple grips and that cutout in the blade CAN be used as a finger choil with minimal prudence. I am sorry to say but some of you guys are way to choosey. I have to admit though... that handle could be improved : it's longer and blockier than it needs to be and those holes are just ... stupid IMO. I recently bought my second Smock... enough said.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Smock to me is funny in that it looks undoubtedly really cool, has a fascinating new lock and a blade shape/grind that I´d both certainly like to try just as a guy interested in knives....
but on the other hand, just when I look at it, on a rather "insitinctively" level it does not "call to me" so that I do not instantly feel the urge to grab and use it (like it is the case when I look at a Manix for example).
Might be that I am just too accustomed to the beloved and familiar looks and function of the typical S. and E. Glesser - / Spyderco- ergos...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Only ,,real,, thing on knife that I think is just meh is how far is your index finger from cutting edge, I guess it could be like 2 cm.....
If only that area was smaller, but I guess it could not be made smaller.....but this just a guess
Last edited by Pancake on Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

elena86 wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:38 am
I am lost here :eek: So, the knife looks well or at least the blade looks cool, it's a dream to open and close, it's very thin behind the edge and cuts like a champ, the handle is neutral enough to use multiple grips and that cutout in the blade CAN be used as a finger choil with minimal prudence. I am sorry to say but some of you guys are way to choosey. I have to admit though... that handle could be improved : it's longer and blockier than it needs to be and those holes are just ... stupid IMO. I recently bought my second Smock... enough said.
We have a lot of choices, and some of us have limited income. We have a right to be choosey. I personally do not like the looks of the smock, and from what I've read from others I know I more than likely would not keep it if I tried one, so I haven't bought one. I'll wait until I can try one and see if it fits me.

I don't use choils, the handle is just a block, and it's just not an attractive knife to me. I'm sure that blade is very good at cutting, but so is my Amalgam, which is very ergonomic, and just pleasing to the eye as well. It's my favorite spydie for a reason, however many fault it because of the light detent (which I admit I would like it a little heavier) and the fact the flipper tab comes through the compression lock opening, which imo isn't a big deal and people blow it out of proportion.

So, it's all opinions. Many love the smock for the fidget factor, or how it cuts, or insert quality here. We don't all have to. I personally choose knives on whether I will enjoy them while using them, fidget factor is just an added bonus, but not necessary.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Thanx much for your detailed explanation. It is appreciated as I am always studying the reactions of different models to different people. We try to serve a very large and varied market.

I have learned that as one matures in a hobby, (any hobby), ones values and interests are always changing.

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:03 am
Only ,,real,, thing on knife that I think is just meh is how far is your index finger from cutting edge, I guess it could be like 2 cm.....
If only that area was smaller, but I guess it could not be made smaller.....but this just a guess
Just from the pics I do like your proposal better.. but then I think: Never judge a knife(-design) conclusevly before not having carried and used it rather extensively.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:21 am
Did you try that grip I posted in the photo? For me, using it feels quite natural when holding this knife that way.
Except for whittling on a piece of hardwood I haven't used mine much yet but this is how I've been holding it. It actually feels fine. It's not the most ergonomic model I have but it's also not as poor as some are making it out to be. Like I said previously, the action on mine is incredible and it's one of the best Spyderco flippers out of the box that I've ever had. It's not as tall as some other models when folded. So I can get my hand in my pocket if necessary. Like I've said, for me, it's better than I expected.

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Thats another thing. There are other knives I would have rather seen an exclusive of.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:49 am
Hi Michael,

Thanx much for your detailed explanation. It is appreciated as I am always studying the reactions of different models to different people. We try to serve a very large and varied market.

I have learned that as one matures in a hobby, (any hobby), ones values and interests are always changing.

sal
Hello Sal,

You are welcome and thanks for the criticism that moved me to rethink my little essay in more concrete terms. Criticism if objective and well meant is always helpful.

I also agree that maturing in one’s hobby will lead one into new, unexpected and satisfying directions. Early enthusiasm for your hobby is the fuel that drives us and keeps keeps us engaged while we take the time to learn more about what we’re doing, what we like and what is meaningful to us. I have a long story about how that worked with me and Spyderco which I will not try to relate here. I will probably write it up somewhere at least for myself to gain some clarity.

So after all these years I am very happy and appreciative of my sole Spyder, my plain Jane DLC Para 3. I think it is one of the best all around well-designed ergonomic and useful knives I have had. Happy, happy, happy.

Keep on innovating and keep on staying in touch with your loyal fans.

Michael
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:33 am
I have been trying to understand the appeal of this knife for a while now?
We are of the same mind on this.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyderco Smock:Technical Showcase, Disappointing Knife

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd like to see more reverse tantos, the blade shape on the smock is probably my favorite part.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Although it’s not exactly my cup of tea, the Smock is definitely an interesting design. I handled one at the Blade Show a few years ago. The beauty of designing a folding knife comes with a system of pros and cons. A preferred blade shape will typically dictate what the handle must do in order to accommodate that shape—and usually vice versa. Some design “sacrifices” must be made in order to accomplish the designer’s goal. Some knives are designed more for aesthetic reasons, while others are designed for function. The Smock carries the designer’s unique look, which is a challenging thing to do.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

The Smock is an interesting piece for sure. I just got one last Friday to further my goal of collecting all the Spyderco compression lock flippers. The button actuated compression lock and the unobtrusive flipper are both great features, and they make for a superbly "fidgety" knife. The choil is usable for me, but I will probably be rounding the corner of the edge so it's not as pokey.

As was stated above, design sacrifices and compromises sometimes have to be made. The choil likely could have been shaped more like the SK23, but it's likely that would have eaten into edge length. Had that been the case, there might be discussions of edge to length ratios and how far the edge is from the handle instead of choil shape. All that said, I think the Smock is a great example of distinctive design and technical innovation, and I can see why it's appealing for so many. The unobtrusive flipper tab, the sleekness, and the unique button actuated compression lock all appear to contribute to the desirability of the design.
SubMicron

Post by SubMicron »

The Smock caught my eye right away and I watched every video I could find. At the onset my expectations were very high but they never included it having the ergonomic characteristics of certain other Spyderco knives. To expect that of it, just by looking at the picture, would be unreasonable.

When the 20CV exclusive was released, I bought one immediately. At the onset the knife met all of my expectations, but they were so built up, I was underwhelmed.

When I decided to remove the 2nd detent ball, along with it's spring, I started to love the Smock. Those seem to be there in order appease legal requirements in some areas.

I specifically wanted a slimmer knife, roughly similar in size to a 940 Osborne, that's even more fidget friendly, and be extremely reliable.

That's exactly what I got.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

SubMicron wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:21 pm
The Smock caught my eye right away and I watched every video I could find. At the onset my expectations were very high but they never included it having the ergonomic characteristics of certain other Spyderco knives. To expect that of it, just by looking at the picture, would be unreasonable.

When the 20CV exclusive was released, I bought one immediately. At the onset the knife met all of my expectations, but they were so built up, I was underwhelmed.

When I decided to remove the 2nd detent ball, along with it's spring, I started to love the Smock. Those seem to be there in order appease legal requirements in some areas.

I specifically wanted a slimmer knife, roughly similar in size to a 940 Osborne, that's even more fidget friendly, and be extremely reliable.

That's exactly what I got.
My thoughts exactly. I don't think I'll be buying a smock anytime soon, but if someone wanted something like a 940 but cooler, this would be my recommendation.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
gundamaniac

Post by gundamaniac »

I only wish I had tried the regular Smock prior to the release of the 20CV exclusive. I didn't jump on the exclusive at that point because I hadn't had serious hands-on time with the Smock, but now I have and I now know I like it enough to want the 20CV version. That smooth G10 looks gorgeous too.