Spyders For Lawn, Garden, Landscaping & Outdoor uses

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Spyders For Lawn, Garden, Landscaping & Outdoor uses

Post by JD Spydo »

I've gone on record in the past two years saying that Spyderco's Hawkbills have proven to be great knives for Lawn, Garden & Landscaping uses. And I wasn't the only one who brought that up. With the grass getting greener and more people getting out to their gardens I think it's high time we discussed ideal Spyderco models for that type of work. Here in the Northern Hemisphere we are entering the Spring time of the year so it's important to know which Spyderco models that are best for those types of jobs.

Not only have I found Spyderco's Hawkbills to be great for Lawn, Garden & Landscaping uses I've also found that full SE Sheepsfoot blades are ideal for Garden uses as well. I would like to know what Spyderco models you all have found to be ideal for "green thumb" uses. Also do you find plain edges or serrated ( Spyderedges) to be ideal and why?
curlyhairedboy

Re: Spyders For Lawn, Garden, Landscaping & Outdoor uses

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Literally heading out for garden prep with my H1 Spyderhawk. :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

You sure love this topic Joe haha!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86169
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 am
You sure love this topic Joe haha!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86169
Well Dude just get out there in your yard and garden and test out your Spyderco models and you'll soon see what I'm talking about ;) . I know that your spring time comes a bit later than what we have here in Missouri but it will be there before you know it.

It is amazing to me all the uses of these great Spyderco knives that many of us have overlooked. With the TEMPERANCE 1 model for instance (2004 era) I have found to be great for such a wide variety of uses.

When I discovered how good Spyderco's Hawkbills were in the garden, lawn and other outdoor uses I had taken a Spyderhawk with me that one day by mistake>> one of the best mistakes I ever made :D
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

I have a Byrd hawkbill that is a great beater knife for outdoors and gardening. I also have a few salts that work great too.just used my native lightweight in lc200n yesterday to rip open wet and nasty bags of old dead leaves!! No rust here...
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:54 am
I have a Byrd hawkbill that is a great beater knife for outdoors and gardening. I also have a few salts that work great too.just used my native lightweight in lc200n yesterday to rip open wet and nasty bags of old dead leaves!! No rust here...
As good as serrated Hawkbills are for certain Lawn & Garden chores I've wondered if a plain edged Hawkbill might make a good grafting knife???

I also miss the old SPYDERSAW. I had one for a while and it was a really good pruning saw. Spyderco should deeply consider having some of their products targeted for the Lawn & Garden market. There are huge catalogs like A.M. Leonard and a couple of others that would sell a ton of their knives I'm sure of it.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

A SE yellow Pacific Salt is the go-to knife at our house for gardening/yard work. The serrated edge cuts most anything and stays sharp, the H1 blade does not rust, and the yellow handle is easy to spot when you can not remember when you left it!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sn0wman72 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:37 am
A SE yellow Pacific Salt is the go-to knife at our house for gardening/yard work. The serrated edge cuts most anything and stays sharp, the H1 blade does not rust, and the yellow handle is easy to spot when you can not remember when you left it!
I would imagine that if Spyderco did actually target market the Lawn, Garden and Landscaping market it would be with the models out of their Salt Series. Or if they add any new models for just that purpose alone they would also be in that SALT SERIES as well >> I"m sure of it.

I'm wondering if that Jumpmaster model with the right set of teeth would make a superb pruning saw.
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

My garden knives are byrds, CaraCara rescue and Meadowlark rescue.
Both are tough and capable gardening tools but the CaraCara is harder to misplace. :)
Looking to get the Byrd Hawkbill next.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson