Proposal for next SpyderByte: Road to a Collaboration Knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Proposal for next SpyderByte: Road to a Collaboration Knife

Post by archangel »

I'd be super interested in this. Especially how it can come to collaboration knives designed by different guys, and the knives being so similar in many aspects, such as the K2 and the Slysz Bowie, or lately the Smock and the Ikuchi. They definitely look like relatives, but why? Does Spyderco give the makers a material spec they need to follow? Or are the designers 100% free to use whichever materials and designs they like (within reasonable borders), and it's just coincidence?

Or is the Road to a Collaboration Knife always very different?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
kennethsime

Re: Proposal for next SpyderByte: Road to a Collaboration Knife

Post by kennethsime »

I would also love to read this.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Third that! It would be mosy interesteníng to hear. I only know the story behind Bob Terzuola's collabs.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Great idea. I'd be interested, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm interested.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

In my case, the knives I had made were followed as close as possible in line for line measurements.

The steel for the Serrata was the same, 440C, and the Sustain was Sal's suggestion, CPM 20CV...the original was N690.

Obviously, the designers steel choice might be a difficult one for Spyderco to use, if an unusual steel type is hard to source in bulk.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'd like to hear the story from the perspective of Spyderco and one or more collaborative knife designer. I understand that no two roads are the same.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I would like to hear from the designer and from Spyderco especially Kevin Smock and Ed Schempp. Hearing both perspectives would be the most interesting to me. I’m sure there is some give and take though I have the impression that Spyderco strives to implement the design as faithfully as possible. Perhaps a series of articles featuring multiple designers would be best of all.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
archangel

Post by archangel »

Very good points made by you guys. I second the idea to collect both designer's and Spyderco's perspective. As to the steels used: take the K2's 10V, or Junction's PSF27; I'm sure there are more examples where Spyderco did chose rather rare steels in collab knives. I'd love to learn how it came to that. And once more: was it coincidence that Smock/Ikuchi and Slysz Bowie/K2 which were/are on the market around the same time = have likely been chosen around the same years came to be so alike in their forms and scale material choices.

I realize it's most probably not realistic to expect something for the next SpyderByte when addressed and accepted now - could be a series of articles when they're done. If the subject is worthy in the eyes of Sal and the gang. :rolleyes:

Stuart, thanks much for chiming in, I appreciate it. I hope though that this can still be enriched with many more details. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...