Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:20 am
Monty wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Binge watching Netflix isn't the most trying of survival situations. My EDC is a hackysack.

This is funny because this is the reality for most folks. I was telling my 11yo daughter how good she has it with her phone and videogames and laptop, we didn't have any of that when I was a kid. We are really a spoiled society in that way.
But when we were kids this sort of thing was a time for family bonding. My parents and I were once without power for 13 days after a natural disaster. This was when internet was in its infancy. We played lots of Scrabble, Uno, Cribbage, Monopoly, Trivial Pursuit and when we got sick of each other Solitaire. Probably watched a few VHS tapes as well.

That disaster was a winter storm were we got about 5 inches of ice from freezing rain so we couldn’t really even go outside.

Ah, simpler times. Think a I might see if my five year old is ready for Uno tonight? :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
PStone

Post by PStone »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:53 pm
PStone wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 pm
Nice! I have that same Vic Rambler. What pen is that in the top pic? The Warhawk one.
Pen is a Retro 51 Tornado "Flying Tigers" edition.
Thank you! This is going to be a new hunt for me. Again, great looking pair!
acer

Post by acer »

Commissioned one of my Meerkats, from my collection , should cover any eventuality , just got to work out how to Unlock it now😁 Joking apart stay safe over and in ACER
Donut

Post by Donut »

I usually gravitate towards super steels and/or self defense blades.

I've carried my S110V Manix 2 Lightweight the most, Yojimbo a couple of times.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Im still only carrying one knife like I always have, but have been thinking of putting another in my left pocket. Why? I dont know, never had the need for another, not like im off the grid and need another if one breaks. Im pretty handy and think I could survive severe conditions. Can I survive hoards of people trying to rob me? Probably not.

I have been thinking of buying a handgun for the last year and im at the point its going to happen soon. With this epidemic going on now, people fighting over toilet paper, what would happen if there was no food or water to buy? This could get crazier.

What if a major Hurricane hit Florida now with the stores almost empty of supplies? I know what would happen, total chaos. People would be more nuts than they are now.

So yes I can see my hardware carry changing soon.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Very interesting responses so far crew :) >> And for the most part it's almost what I expected to hear. So far my main EDCs are proving to be quite adequate. With the one exception that I have added one of my full SE Spyderhawk models and I have had to use it a couple of times.

Now if any disruption of the utility grid comes about then I'm sure we'll have some problems. As long as they keep the electricity and running water going I think everything can be kept in control. Thus there won't be any real need for additional hardware to one to keep handy.

But walking through town in the middle of the day is like an episode of the old Twilight Zone. For me to be able to cross the normally busy 7 Highway easily is surreal and really weird to say the least. Let us know how any of your individual needs have changed and how you've all adjusted.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven’t changed a thing, Spyderco knife-wise. I’ve still been carrying my DLC Manix 2, sometimes substituting it with my DLC S35VN PM2. There isn’t more cutting for me to do now than pre-lockdown; in fact, there’s less.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:18 am
I haven’t changed a thing, Spyderco knife-wise. I’ve still been carrying my DLC Manix 2, sometimes substituting it with my DLC S35VN PM2. There isn’t more cutting for me to do now than pre-lockdown; in fact, there’s less.

Jim
Jim it truly looks like this current lockdown/quarantine is truly different for each one of us. And just this thread on our hardware uses has really shown a lot of what we all are faced with. Many people are hunkered down in their homes and there is nothing wrong with that. But in my case I've actually become much more active for a variety of reasons.

Here where I'm living we are having grocery hi-jackings along with people getting looted at ATMs here locally. We are starting to see signs of desperation>> So with that being said I've decided to bolster the self defense aspect of carrying knives ( or any other weapon for that matter).

Also I've been trying to be helpful to friends and neighbors which has actually increased my usage of knives and other hardware. But this thread is very reflective of what is going on viewing the big overall picture.

One sidebar>> I'm now seeing more practical uses for Hawkbill blades and I hope out of all of this that even Spyderco will look into more practical Hawkbill models. I'm using my Spyderhawk for stuff I never dreamed I would use it for.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Nothing much has changed for me carry-wise, even though our province is still currently under a state of medical emergency due to COVID-19. I work in an industry that provides an "essential service" so I still go to work everyday (an aside: my most sincere sympathies go out to those who have not been so fortunate, I hope you have ready access to resources that will help you make it through these challenging times).

I still carry the same basic "in the pants pocket" kit:
  • a Spyderco folder in my right front pocket (a Yojimbo 2 today, but it changes almost daily)
  • a Leatherman Style PS multitool on my keychain
  • a Coast G20 inspection penlight in my left front pocket (I've been meaning to switch to something smaller & lighter with a longer battery life like an Olight I3T EOS but I just can't replace the G20 while it's still working so reliably!)
  • a NexTool KT5502 pen in my right back pocket
  • any extra bit of kit I might need for that particular day in my left back pocket
I did have to make some changes to the custom OFA 2 kit I carry on my belt at work. I took out the CPR mask so I don't accidentally use it in the heat of the moment during a medical emergency (the current guidelines are that we only do chest compressions when providing CPR to minimize the potential risk of viral transmission). I now carry extra pairs of nitrile gloves (for myself & for any untrained personnel who might be assisting me in a workplace medical emergency) & a courtesy face mask as well.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

zuludelta wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:56 am
Nothing much has changed for me carry-wise, even though our province is still currently under a state of medical emergency due to COVID-19. I work in an industry that provides an "essential service" so I still go to work everyday (an aside: my most sincere sympathies go out to those who have not been so fortunate, I hope you have ready access to resources that will help you make it through these challenging times).

I still carry the same basic "in the pants pocket" kit:
  • a Spyderco folder in my right front pocket (a Yojimbo 2 today, but it changes almost daily)
  • a Leatherman Style PS multitool on my keychain
  • a Coast G20 inspection penlight in my left front pocket (I've been meaning to switch to something smaller & lighter with a longer battery life like an Olight I3T EOS but I just can't replace the G20 while it's still working so reliably!)
  • a NexTool KT5502 pen in my right back pocket
  • any extra bit of kit I might need for that particular day in my left back pocket
I did have to make some changes to the custom OFA 2 kit I carry on my belt at work. I took out the CPR mask so I don't accidentally use it in the heat of the moment during a medical emergency (the current guidelines are that we only do chest compressions when providing CPR to minimize the potential risk of viral transmission). I now carry extra pairs of nitrile gloves (for myself & for any untrained personnel who might be assisting me in a workplace medical emergency) & a courtesy face mask as well.
Nice on the courtesy kit. Good on ya!
James Y

Post by James Y »

I’ve actually changed the Spyderco I carry when I do go out to my SE Salt 2 Wharncliffe. I figure if it becomes necessary to disinfect it, it’ll be a lot easier than disinfecting my G10 Manix 2.

Jim
aaronkb

Post by aaronkb »

I’m “essential” and still interacting with the public daily, so I’ve become the biggest germophobe on earth. Naturally for a while I carried my brand new Rex 45 para 3, but I’ve been sanitizing the **** out of my whole EDC every time I come home. I’ve been meaning to make a post about the “pandemic patina” the knife quickly developed - aka a ton of rust spots.

Switched to carrying an m390 para 3 LW and it’s been golden. Sanitizer gunks up the action something fierce, but it’s amazing how much less I care than I did a month ago.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I live in North Carolina. I have always had the opinion that your EDC and support gear should ready for the apocalypse. Sig Sauer stainless P220 with spare mags, Spydiechef, stainless police, SAK fieldmaster, county comm stainless embassy pen, surefire titanium titan light, RAT tourniquets, lighter and Ferro rod. Also I keep my get home bag close by at all time’s when I leave the house. I keep emergency kits stocked and checked regularly in the vehicle’s.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Side note. People called me crazy and/or paranoid along with every other name in the book. Cool thing some of those people that called me crazy have apologized and asked what they need to do. Me being the nice guy I am gave them advice and brutally honest opinions they asked for. I think they wished they never called me in the first place. It is what it is and they have to make do with what they have or can get at the moment.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

I've gone the other direction and minimized what I carry. Car key, driver's license, one credit card and my Hanan. Fewer items makes it easier to keep everything sterile. My wife has all the common ailments which make Covid-19 particularly life threatening so I'm being very careful.