Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Post by JD Spydo »

Well here in the USA as well as many other places on the globe many of us have been in a real quandary in these past few weeks over the Virus Scare.

We've talked a lot over the years about ideal survival type hardware and there has most certainly been a lot of threads about which Spyderco models would do well in a survival situation. Well many of us were caught completely off guard and un-prepared and to a large extent unaware when this pandemic hit with little warning.

So most of us were faced with a completely new set of demands and priorities in a very short time slot. Myself I pretty much just continued to use what I've EDCed for the past 14 months or so>> however I have added some more hardware. I've added an extra flashlight and a full time Hawkbill blade since all of this has come about.

My question to all of you is >> What changes in your Spyderco Knife & tool line up have you implemented since this lockdown took place? Or have most of you all just kind of went on in a "business as usual" type scenario? I've found that I'm using my Spyderco Knives and my Flashlights and multi-tools considerably more during this time of pandemic. Have things changed for you all in your hardware demands or have many of you had to make changes in what you keep on hand. Let's talk about how this pandemic has changed our tool needs here recently?
curlyhairedboy

Re: Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Pandemic carry hasn't changed much from normal carry. I always have at least a flashlight, a prybar and small Leatherman (all on keys) , along with my hawkbill Dfly2. Primary knife has been the CruCarta Shaman, and it's been performing spectacularly.

I've seen a bunch of people needing to liquidate their collections on the secondary market. My own purchases are getting a lot more self-scrutiny given the state of the world...
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

well I went ahead and got myself a Police 4 in case there is a break down of law and order.

JK, I'm in Canada, we will continue to be boring - sorry to hear about your apocalypse south of the border though, stay safe everybody.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Honestly, my most-used knives are now my kitchen knives, since I'm working from home so much. I don't think I'll be bugging out anytime soon. I don't always keep a knife in my pocket when working from the couch, though I'm playing with the new Native a lot trying to break it in.

I do have a couple bigger fixed blade knives, but no Spydies amongst them yet; I like the look of the Junction a lot, and can't wait for a Micarta/Cruwear Proficient, especially if it's in the $150 or less range.

I've been looking at picking up a handgun a little more seriously now, just in case things get hairy. Been shooting plenty of times but never been an owner.

I'm lucky enough to still be working, but things are still uncertain. Holding off on large purchases for now.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Holland

Post by Holland »

I'm ready for any civil unrest

-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'm still carrying on as usual. "essential personnel" for now so I'm still working. Still carrying what I usually carry. A few folders and a stout fixed blade. Right now it's a toss up between the respect and infimandu. Probably gonna finish the week out with the respect tomorrow.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Nothing changed really... though I use and compare my Spyderco folders in the kitchen more often, just for fun.

In a "real" apocalyptic scenario (or better in one like it is just in the movies... :rolleyes: ) I´d go with a fixed blade. If it HAD to be a folder I´d probably miss the stout sabre grind / combo edge Endura I once had.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Meh, not much has changed here. I am “essential” and live very rural. My life hasn’t really changed much. I have had a little more time to spend with the family though. :)

Also, not sure why sitting around my house watching TV would change my carry anyway. Maybe I would switch over to knives that are more sweatpants friendly? :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have used my folders in the kitchen a lot more than I normally would just for the fun of it. I killed a few nonthreatening limbs and sticks in my backyard through death by slow whittling but that's about it.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:18 pm
Also, not sure why sitting around my house watching TV would change my carry anyway. Maybe I would switch over to knives that are more sweatpants friendly? :)
This! I've never found myself wanting a small stainless knife w/ a wire clip more.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
This! I've never found myself wanting a small stainless knife w/ a wire clip more.

Not 100% stainless, but, well... ;) :p : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86292&p=1409872#p1409872
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

jdw wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:28 pm
I have used my folders in the kitchen a lot more than I normally would just for the fun of it. I killed a few nonthreatening limbs and sticks in my backyard through death by slow whittling but that's about it.

And did you get your 10V PM2 meanwhile or does it even have that nice patina from kitchen work already? ;)
( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86214#p1407213)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Haven't changed a thing. It's kind of a standard rule that whatever I'm carrying can support me during the apocalypse. If anything I might need something better suited for skinning but I'd manage with my Caribbean if I had to. Being a Salt is nice since I may not have time or resources to clean it often.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

No change here, my Kapara is holding its own. Why, I just cut some twine with it today to secure my tomato plants to stakes, so it's holding the line against saggy tomato plants! :cool:
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Haven't changed EDC regulars: Manix, Para 3, Native.

Got bored last night and ordered a new knife I will add to see if I like it :) Finally trying a ZT.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:41 pm
jdw wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:28 pm

And did you get your 10V PM2 meanwhile or does it even have that nice patina from kitchen work already? ;)
( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86214#p1407213)

Haha! Thanks for asking. It has a great start and is coming along nicely. Between red meat, a few onions, some poblano and assorted peppers it's starting to look like it should to me. It also assisted quite nicely in the backyard stick assassination.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

A couple of variations for my day-to-day carry at the hospital I work for. Rhino pic is the most recent
Attachments
PMEDC2.jpg
Rhino.jpg
PStone

Post by PStone »

Halfneck wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 pm
A couple of variations for my day-to-day carry at the hospital I work for. Rhino pic is the most recent
Nice! I have that same Vic Rambler. What pen is that in the top pic? The Warhawk one.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:37 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:29 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Not 100% stainless, but, well... ;) :p : viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86292&p=1409872#p1409872
Just got the notification that I snagged a Para 3 LW in Rex 45, so that'll have to do for now. Looking at this another way, I'm one knife closer to that Chaparral LW. :)

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Mostly Dragonflies. Always a small Swiss Army. I keep needing scissors, of all things. I miss my wharnie at work.
- best wishes, Jazz.