Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Monty

Re: Crunch-Time Hardware? Spyders For Trying Times?

Post by Monty »

Binge watching Netflix isn't the most trying of survival situations. My EDC is a hackysack.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I'm essential personnel too, so nothing has really changed for me either. I have to say that an all metal knife like my partner's Police is a whole lot easier to sterilize
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

No changes in the Spydercos I carry. Still have a Stretch in my back pocket and a Kiwi in my watch pocket unless I'm headed into Greenville, in which case the Stretch gets traded out for something with a blade under 3", either a Chaparral, a Centofante Memory, a Microtech UTX-85, or a D-Rocket Zulu, depending on my mood. But, haven't had to go there since this mess started and it might be September before I need to go there. On a totally different note, I'm currently waiting for a couple Murray Carter kitchen knives I ordered from SFO the other day to arrive.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
carrot

Post by carrot »

For those pocket-free days...

I think I'm going to have to get one for my Dragonfly if this goes on long enough, though.

Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

As others have mentioned, not too many changes, yet. Still carry a dragonfly or chaparral most of the time. Have been considering an endela, though. Not necessarily for regular carry, just for something different with a longer cutting edge. I have a few tenacious, would like something with a similar cutting edge length, but still somewhat pocketable. Endura has always been a little large for comfort, personally.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

No changes in what I carry when I go out, I mostly carry my Salt 2.
At home I'm rotating between a Salt 2 and Dragonfly.
I don't see how the conditions could change the knife I carry, I do have a bottle of alcohol in the car and masks, but that's it. I'd like to have more masks by the way, not more knives :eek:
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

I switched from carrying my urban to carrying my pm2 because I'm working from home now and don't need to have a little office knife
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Since our company is mostly shut down (aside from 2 jobsites in unoccupied buildings), we decided to get out of the city for now and spend this time at our cabin. That means I get to carry and use my bigger and more outdoorsy knives every day, which I'm loving. Gotta find the silver linings wherever we can!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Working from home and I have a 2.5 year old toddler who wants to be outside. I have been using a new Endura 4 ZDP-189 just to get the feel. Originally I didn't really like the contours on the handle. I was cutting up cardboard for recycling last night and used a modified pinch grip and it felt great and sailed through the work. I really liked it. Light in the pocket with lots of edge.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

PStone wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:16 pm
Nice! I have that same Vic Rambler. What pen is that in the top pic? The Warhawk one.
Pen is a Retro 51 Tornado "Flying Tigers" edition.
alnico357

Post by alnico357 »

I continue to carry a Delica as I have since 2010.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ulize or Caly 3.5 SB.

I've been using my K11P a lot more, though!

Tonight I made chili garlic pasta with shrimp. Not to toot my own horn, but it was a great success. :cool:
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Crunch time involving fires, evacuations, no electricity/light and possible looting, it's always the Jumpmaster 2. I want something quick, visible and very capable. This crunch time, with everyone indoors, it's just normal rotation. Today it was a Tasman Salt.
tjsblade

Post by tjsblade »

Not carrying anything different but certainly having lots of new found time to sharpen. Between folders and kitchen knives I've managed to bring about 12 blades so far back to hair whittling sharp. Probably about 1/3 of the knives in my house but all my favourites.
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Most people think I over do it anyway, but I usually carry three knives. One in each back pocket and a small one in my coin pocket.

My coin pocket is always a dragonfly and is usually used most.

In my back left pocket i usually carry something more heavy duty, either a shaman or a Manix 2/XL.

In my back right pocket I usually carry a para 3, something nice, thin, and good for slicing. That has changed though since things have gotten a little more tense... My right back pocket now carries my endura 4 with the wave. I want something I can have out quick if I need it, I hope I never do.
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Monty wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Binge watching Netflix isn't the most trying of survival situations. My EDC is a hackysack.

This is funny because this is the reality for most folks. I was telling my 11yo daughter how good she has it with her phone and videogames and laptop, we didn't have any of that when I was a kid. We are really a spoiled society in that way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:20 am
Monty wrote:

This is funny because this is the reality for most folks. I was telling my 11yo daughter how good she has it with her phone and videogames and laptop, we didn't have any of that when I was a kid. We are really a spoiled society in that way.
At the same time, they have it worse.

They closed down the schools and mine was all excited about having so much free time. Then, the school was like "Never fear! We have an online classroom!".

Haha! The look on her face was priceless. o.o

Snow days will be a relic of the past. That movie is now obsolete!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Monty wrote:
Haha Haha. Too funny.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

cabfrank wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:36 pm
Crunch time involving fires, evacuations, no electricity/light and possible looting, it's always the Jumpmaster 2. I want something quick, visible and very capable. This crunch time, with everyone indoors, it's just normal rotation. Today it was a Tasman Salt.
Yeah, I’m not sure what is meant by “crunch-time”.

Now is not that time where I live. People up and down my short street have agreed to help each other through this catastrophe.

My knife habits continue unchanged. I grab whatever Spydie appeals to me and learn all over again why it does. Right now, it’s the PE variant of the original C101 Manix. I love this knife, even though I can’t get the blade to center. If I want to go lighter in the pocket, a K390 PM2 is now answering that call.

If “crunch-time” is meant to encompass thuggery, guns, not knives, might be the better topic of discussion. But, as a Gray Man, I will NOT participate.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:56 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:20 am
Monty wrote:

At the same time, they have it worse.

They closed down the schools and mine was all excited about having so much free time. Then, the school was like "Never fear! We have an online classroom!".

Haha! The look on her face was priceless. o.o

Snow days will be a relic of the past. That movie is now obsolete!
My 13 yo stepdaughter was actually excited for online school! But she's a proud nerd just like her stepmother. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.