Chaparral in Canvas Micarta?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Chaparral in Canvas Micarta?

Postby BDNX » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:54 pm

I received one of the stepped Ti Chaparrals as a gift at Christmas this past year and I love this knife way more than I expected. I was thinking that it’d be pretty cool to have one in a canvas micarta handle. What do you guys think? Sound good?

JuPaul

Re: Chaparral in Canvas Micarta?

Postby JuPaul » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:56 pm

Definitely. Considering these are all about different scale materials, it seems likely we'll eventually see micarta or terotuf scales. Fingers crossed.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

curlyhairedboy

Postby curlyhairedboy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:24 pm

CruCarta Chaparral could be really sweet.....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, Ouroboros, 4V Shaman, Watu
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native
Would like to own again: Sheepsfoot Caribbean
Wishlist: CQI Kapara, Tanto PM2, Shaman Sprints!

Gamecock

Postby Gamecock » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm

I think canvas Micarta would be really cool...in a good color. I just got my FRN Chaparral after waiting a few months, and it is a great knife...a really nice carry. I would buy another in something good like canvas in blue or green.

BDNX

Postby BDNX » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:33 pm

Gamecock wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm
I think canvas Micarta would be really cool...in a good color. I just got my FRN Chaparral after waiting a few months, and it is a great knife...a really nice carry. I would buy another in something good like canvas in blue or green.
Blue canvas would be nice. Even just a natural canvas color. I’d be happy either way.

fixall

Postby fixall » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:44 pm

I want one badly. The Chaparral is an incredible knife. I’d prefer a canvas Micarta, but other than that I could go for a number of colors and steels.

kennethsime

Postby kennethsime » Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 pm

This would be awesome.

I like the Chaparral a lot, but I'm not in love with any of the handles yet.

The LW Bi-Directional pattern is a little off to me, I may have bought one already if it was closer to the Seki FRN pattern. The others are a bit pricy. I'd love to see Micarta and a tool steel for $150 or less. Bonus points for green canvas micarta!
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green

Sharp Guy

Postby Sharp Guy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm

I love the Chaparrals and would have a hard time passing on one with Canvas Micarta
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 pm
The LW Bi-Directional pattern is a little off to me, I may have bought one already if it was closer to the Seki FRN pattern. The others are a bit pricy. I'd love to see Micarta and a tool steel for $150 or less. Bonus points for green canvas micarta!
Have you handled a Chap LW or are you basing that solely on appearance? I like the Seki bi-directional texturing but it can be a bit of pocket shredder. The texturing on the Chap LW it's reasonably grippy yet subdued enough to not destroy pockets.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

kennethsime

Postby kennethsime » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm
I love the Chaparrals and would have a hard time passing on one with Canvas Micarta
kennethsime wrote:
Have you handled a Chap LW or are you basing that solely on appearance? I like the Seki bi-directional texturing but it can be a bit of pocket shredder. The texturing on the Chap LW it's reasonably grippy yet subdued enough to not destroy pockets.
No, just the look of it. I will still probably get one eventually. :-)
Lost to the Ages: C90GRE Stretch 1 ZDP-189 British Racing Green | C28GRE2 Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189 British Racing Green
C12BK2W Matriarch 2 VG-10 Emerson Open | C81G2 Para Military 2 S30V

Currently Rotating: C81GPRGR2 Para Military 2 K390 Ranger Green | C223GPRGR Para 3 K390 Ranger Green
C90FPIV2 Stretch 2 Straight Spine, VG-10 Rit Dye'd Dark Apple Green | C223GP Para 3 S30V Green Canvas Micarta
C41BORE5 Native 5 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange | C223BORE Para 3 Lightweight REX 45 Burnt Orange
C101GY2 Manix 2 Lightweight Maxamet Gray | C28GFG Dragonfly VG-10 Foliage Green

Sharp Guy

Postby Sharp Guy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:18 pm

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Try it, I bet you'll like it more than you think. I carried mine today. It makes a great small work knife for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!

Airlsee

Postby Airlsee » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 pm

kennethsime wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Pick one up, the Chap FRN is definitely a surprising must have...I'm not a big fan of FRN but the texture of the Chap is surprisingly great!
"If you are wholly perplexed and in straits, have patience, for patience is the key to joy."

-Rumi

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Postby Doc Dan » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:37 pm

I like linen micarta in green, quite a bit. I’d buy one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

"Until we meet again, may the good Lord take a liking to you."
(Roy Rogers)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050

GarageBoy

Postby GarageBoy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:57 pm

If that happens, can we get a randall/Dozier style finish on the micarta?

blendergasket

Postby blendergasket » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:57 am

kennethsime wrote:
This would be awesome.

I like the Chaparral a lot, but I'm not in love with any of the handles yet.

K390 or m390 and micarta on the chap would make an epic edc.

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:09 am

I absolutely do hope that the next variant of the Chap after the G10/sun and moon version WILL indeed be a Micarta handled one!

As most of you are aware of anyway, but maybe not everyone new to this forum: The Chap is the model meant to display various handle materials on the same knife (much like the Sage displays different lock types on the same knife).
And I have the impression that in most threads about the Chap at one point someone asks for a Micarta version... I can at least recall several posts about this, the last time in the "sun and moon" Chaparral thread..

Though I have to say: A wooden handle would be cool either... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Wartstein

Postby Wartstein » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:12 am

kennethsime wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
I just can second: Get one and try for yourself! :)

I just can share my experience once again: The Chap was a huge , positive surprise for me, both as a folder overall, but also concerning specifically the FRN handle.... liked it a lot more than I would have expected. Maybe I prefer the Taichung FRN pattern even slightly over the Seki pattern...
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Nate

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:41 am

Micarta has always been at the top of my scale material wish list for this model.
:spyder:

JustinB

Postby JustinB » Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:55 am

I would immediately get a Chap in micarta. I would also get one in smooth forest green G10 and S90v, like the Knifecenter native :D

I really want more Chaparrals. Bigger chaparrals, colourful chaparrals

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:15 am

I'd probably buy every knife I own a second time if it came in rounded micarta scales like the Shaman got, and especially if it also came in Cruwear to match.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

araneae

Postby araneae » Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:23 am

I'd be in for one. Although, I actually have someone who is going to make me this exact Chap if they have the spare time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Just got:Rex 45 Para 3 LTWT, Harrier 2 LTWT

The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal

Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”