Chaparral in Canvas Micarta?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Chaparral in Canvas Micarta?

Post by BDNX »

I received one of the stepped Ti Chaparrals as a gift at Christmas this past year and I love this knife way more than I expected. I was thinking that it’d be pretty cool to have one in a canvas micarta handle. What do you guys think? Sound good?
JuPaul

Re: Chaparral in Canvas Micarta?

Post by JuPaul »

Definitely. Considering these are all about different scale materials, it seems likely we'll eventually see micarta or terotuf scales. Fingers crossed.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

CruCarta Chaparral could be really sweet.....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

I think canvas Micarta would be really cool...in a good color. I just got my FRN Chaparral after waiting a few months, and it is a great knife...a really nice carry. I would buy another in something good like canvas in blue or green.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Gamecock wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:27 pm
I think canvas Micarta would be really cool...in a good color. I just got my FRN Chaparral after waiting a few months, and it is a great knife...a really nice carry. I would buy another in something good like canvas in blue or green.
Blue canvas would be nice. Even just a natural canvas color. I’d be happy either way.
fixall

Post by fixall »

I want one badly. The Chaparral is an incredible knife. I’d prefer a canvas Micarta, but other than that I could go for a number of colors and steels.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

This would be awesome.

I like the Chaparral a lot, but I'm not in love with any of the handles yet.

The LW Bi-Directional pattern is a little off to me, I may have bought one already if it was closer to the Seki FRN pattern. The others are a bit pricy. I'd love to see Micarta and a tool steel for $150 or less. Bonus points for green canvas micarta!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I love the Chaparrals and would have a hard time passing on one with Canvas Micarta
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:59 pm
The LW Bi-Directional pattern is a little off to me, I may have bought one already if it was closer to the Seki FRN pattern. The others are a bit pricy. I'd love to see Micarta and a tool steel for $150 or less. Bonus points for green canvas micarta!
Have you handled a Chap LW or are you basing that solely on appearance? I like the Seki bi-directional texturing but it can be a bit of pocket shredder. The texturing on the Chap LW it's reasonably grippy yet subdued enough to not destroy pockets.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:53 pm
I love the Chaparrals and would have a hard time passing on one with Canvas Micarta
kennethsime wrote:
Have you handled a Chap LW or are you basing that solely on appearance? I like the Seki bi-directional texturing but it can be a bit of pocket shredder. The texturing on the Chap LW it's reasonably grippy yet subdued enough to not destroy pockets.
No, just the look of it. I will still probably get one eventually. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:10 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Try it, I bet you'll like it more than you think. I carried mine today. It makes a great small work knife for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
Pick one up, the Chap FRN is definitely a surprising must have...I'm not a big fan of FRN but the texture of the Chap is surprisingly great!
So it goes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I like linen micarta in green, quite a bit. I’d buy one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

If that happens, can we get a randall/Dozier style finish on the micarta?
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

kennethsime wrote:
This would be awesome.

I like the Chaparral a lot, but I'm not in love with any of the handles yet.

K390 or m390 and micarta on the chap would make an epic edc.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I absolutely do hope that the next variant of the Chap after the G10/sun and moon version WILL indeed be a Micarta handled one!

As most of you are aware of anyway, but maybe not everyone new to this forum: The Chap is the model meant to display various handle materials on the same knife (much like the Sage displays different lock types on the same knife).
And I have the impression that in most threads about the Chap at one point someone asks for a Micarta version... I can at least recall several posts about this, the last time in the "sun and moon" Chaparral thread..

Though I have to say: A wooden handle would be cool either... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
I just can second: Get one and try for yourself! :)

I just can share my experience once again: The Chap was a huge , positive surprise for me, both as a folder overall, but also concerning specifically the FRN handle.... liked it a lot more than I would have expected. Maybe I prefer the Taichung FRN pattern even slightly over the Seki pattern...
Last edited by Wartstein on Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Nate

Post by Nate »

Micarta has always been at the top of my scale material wish list for this model.
:spyder:
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I would immediately get a Chap in micarta. I would also get one in smooth forest green G10 and S90v, like the Knifecenter native :D

I really want more Chaparrals. Bigger chaparrals, colourful chaparrals
Justin :spyder:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'd probably buy every knife I own a second time if it came in rounded micarta scales like the Shaman got, and especially if it also came in Cruwear to match.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd be in for one. Although, I actually have someone who is going to make me this exact Chap if they have the spare time.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal