Endela paradigm shift!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

Re: Endela paradigm shift!

Post by elena86 »

I love my serrated Endela. I would kill for a Salty Endela in LC200N. Same for the SE wharnie Delica. Please Sal :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JMM

Post by JMM »

[+1]

I really like the size of the Endela -- when the K390 version is released it's 100% on my must have list, and a Dragonfly2. :)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:24 am
kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:04 pm
My only problem with the Endela is the Stretch. :-D

I wonder, does anyone have both?
I do have both!
At the moment just several Stretch 1 and an Endela, but I also had two Stretch 2

As said, in length dimensions Endela and Stretch are virtually the same (handle, blade and edge length)
The Stretch 2 is wider though, both in pocket and in hand and a bit heavier...

I'd have a tough time if I had to decide between Endela and Stretch 2. Sure, the latter has the "magic Stretch ergos", but for me the Endela ergos are perfect too in a different way.
I'd probably take the Endela, but just cause I can get it in SE and not so the Stretch 2..

If I had to decide though between Stretch 1 and Endela: I think it would be the Stretch 1.
I wish I still had my Stretch 1, though I can't tell you I notice a difference with the new Stretch. I think I'd have to have them side by side really.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
I do have both!
At the moment just several Stretch 1 and an Endela, but I also had two Stretch 2

As said, in length dimensions Endela and Stretch are virtually the same (handle, blade and edge length)

I'd have a tough time if I had to decide between Endela and Stretch 2. Sure, the latter has the "magic Stretch ergos", but for me the Endela ergos are perfect too in a different way.
I'd probably take the Endela, but just cause I can get it in SE and not so the Stretch 2..

If I had to decide though between Stretch 1 and Endela: I think it would be the Stretch 1.
I wish I still had my Stretch 1, though I can't tell you I notice a difference with the new Stretch. I think I'd have to have them side by side really.
Well, some seem to not like that store, but bento box shop still has the Stretch 1 in VG10 in stock for 102 USD, in HAP 40 for 135 (plus shipping!)... both more than worth the money! They Stretch 1 for me is "pure function" and a real Spyderco icon that shows Sals genius as a knife designer.

Of course I can´t tell if you´d like the Stretch 1 or Stretch 2 better, they both are just great, but you´d certainly notice differences:

- I think most people, especially with larger hands, will find the ergos of the "2" improved over the already amazing ones of the "1".
- The choil of the "2" is deeper, which most people seem to prefer (I personally find that the shallower choil of the "1" gives my particular hand more control and leverage)
- The "2" is longer and wider, but has a bit less edge
- The "1" has a pointier tip (can be a a plus or a minus)
- The "1" has that "hook" at the end of the handle. This can be a pro, but also a con (especially for really large hands)
- The "1" carries a tad deeper

.... A bit off topic, but, hey, it´s about the STRETCH so I just can´t help... :o
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:43 am
kennethsime wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
kennethsime wrote:
I do have both!

Well, some seem to not like that store, but bento box shop still has the Stretch 1 in VG10 in stock for 102 USD, in HAP 40 for 135 (plus shipping!)... both more than worth the money! They Stretch 1 for me is "pure function" and a real Spyderco icon that shows Sals genius as a knife designer.

Of course I can´t tell if you´d like the Stretch 1 or Stretch 2 better, they both are just great, but you´d certainly notice differences:

- I think most people, especially with larger hands, will find the ergos of the "2" improved over the already amazing ones of the "1".
- The choil of the "2" is deeper, which most people seem to prefer (I personally find that the shallower choil of the "1" gives my particular hand more control and leverage)
- The "2" is longer and wider, but has a bit less edge
- The "1" has a pointier tip (can be a a plus or a minus)
- The "1" has that "hook" at the end of the handle. This can be a pro, but also a con (especially for really large hands)
- The "1" carries a tad deeper

.... A bit off topic, but, hey, it´s about the STRETCH so I just can´t help... :o
Thanks Warstein! If I end up falling in love with Rex 45 maybe I'll jump on that Hap40 Stretch. Holding out hope that they do the Straight Spine Stretch in K390! Anyway, back to the Endela... :D
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I just used my Endela SE at the market. We need mustard and the shelf was empty, but the back stock was on the floor in the packaging. It took all of 10 seconds to draw-cut-close and stow to get that mustard.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

JustinB wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:58 am

Beautiful scales there! From Suingab it looks like? He does great work
Nice avatar picture. It looks familiar :)
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I wonder if Sal has specially made pants with many many pockets to carry all the many prototype and favorite knives.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Woodpuppy,

I had a pic made for an ad about 30 years ago that was like the Bianchi pic of gun holsters. Half of my clothing was opened with a large number of knives clipped to my clothing.

sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:02 pm
Hi Woodpuppy,

I had a pic made for an ad about 30 years ago that was like the Bianchi pic of gun holsters. Half of my clothing was opened with a large number of knives clipped to my clothing.

sal
:D Ha, I’d love to see that!
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Deja vu all over again. Or, Twin sons of different mothers.

Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:56 pm
I wonder if Sal has specially made pants with many many pockets to carry all the many prototype and favorite knives.
Pancho Villa bandoliers, one over each shoulder with knife instead of cartridge holders :)

"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.