Para3 lightweight stiff!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BentleyCole

Para3 lightweight stiff!!

Post by BentleyCole »

Hi all,

I received my first spyderco knife today, the para3 lw. Out of the box this knife was extremely tough to open and close. I have read plenty of reviews that this knife should be buttery smooth opening, but struggling to get it open from my experience. Is this normal or should I return the knife?

Thank you all in advance for the help.
JuPaul

Re: Para3 lightweight stiff!!

Post by JuPaul »

Have you tried adjusting the pivot at all, or any other screws? These definitely typically come easy to flick open with a finger, and able to drop shut freely. But yours may have been over-tightened a bit. If you can loosen the pivot screw a bit without creating blade play, you should be all good.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

BentleyCole wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:42 am
Hi all,

I received my first spyderco knife today, the para3 lw. Out of the box this knife was extremely tough to open and close. I have read plenty of reviews that this knife should be buttery smooth opening, but struggling to get it open from my experience. Is this normal or should I return the knife?

Thank you all in advance for the help.
That is not typical at all...do you have a precision torx bit set? You can pick them up at a local hardware store for under $10 usually. I know that that is not ideal but the pivot screw or secondary screw just next to the pivot may need a minor adjustment. If you send it in to Spyderco they will definitely fix it for you, but if you have the tools at home you could easily adjust it yourself most likely...
So it goes.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Should be smooth, I'd return it unless you have the tools to try loosening the pivot a touch.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal