1st spiderco

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ScottG72

1st spiderco

Post by ScottG72 »

I am stepping into a new class of knife and could use some advice. Until now, I have only purchased hunting knifes.
I am looking for a combination of EDC and protection.

I have done a little too much research (video's-artical's-blogs) and now have more information then I know what to do with.
Looked at handle materials, steels, locks, bearings, size and weight comparisons and more.

I was looking at Benchmade or Spiderco and am leaning towards the Spiderco. The problem now is the plethora of options Spiderco has.

I am leaning towards either the:
Native 5 lightweight (in S35VN) around $100
Or the Mantix 2 with G10 grips (in S30V) Around $120
This is the budget I am trying to hold to for my 1st EDC.

I am using a Buck 110 as a comparison for size and it fits pretty good in my hand and pocket, I have average size hands.

It looks like the Manix 2 gives a lot more bang the the buck but don't know.

I like the fact that the Manix 2 has a liner, a form of bearing (I do get that it is not a true bearing system, and G10 grips.

I like that the Native 5 comes in S35VN and prefer the locking mechanism, and weight. I also like that there are a lot less peices to go wrong.
(I am not sure how the plastic on metal will effect movement)

Please be gentle, I am just learning.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
sal

Re: 1st spiderco

Post by sal »

Hi Scott,

Welcome to our forum.

The Buck 110 is a great classic design. It was my first "real" knife back in the 60's. If you are just beginning to learn, I should tell you that this is a vast study. If you have the interest and the passion, you will enjoy the trip. I would start with any of the models mentioned and chat with the very knowledgeable and passionate members of this forum.

sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

There both good options.
The native comes in s30v now, but Im sure there are still s35vn ones out there you could get. The difference doesnt really matter.

Im of the school of thought that "protection" is about training and equipment comes second.

The manix has a little more grip area.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Admittedly, I have not tried a Native yet (It's on my list :D ) so I can't attest to it, but I have some experience with the Manix and it is a great folder.
Justin :spyder:
ScottG72

Post by ScottG72 »

Sal, thank you, it was my 1st also, it was also the knife I bought my son.
VooDoo and Justin, thank you for the input.

Also two things I forgot to mention.
Any alternatives would be greatly appreciated.
And, I usually carry in my front right pocket so the fact that the Native would fit in the watch pocket of my Jean's (I read, could be a benifit.

Thank you again
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Go back a page in the forum topics and check out the thread titled "The Best Bargain of the 21st Century." Hint...we're talking about the Manix 2 there. The native 5 is an excellent knife, and I do own a lightweight native, but imo the Manix is one of the best values in Spyderco's lineup, and there's not much it can't do. I own multiples.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

Tough call there between the native 5 and the manix. I've never handled a native myself. As for the manix, what a champ of a knife. They have a ton of different options and all of them work beautifully. If you're thinking self defense, the jimping on the manix will most certainly keep it in your hand. The G10 only adds to the grip (the FRN model is no slouch either mind you).

The leaf blade design and FFG (full flat grind) cut beautifully. It can fit the whole hand, and the ball bearing lock on all the models i've owned feels secure.

Like i said. I've never handled a native before, but i've never heard anyone complain about them either. You've picked out two great knives, either option is a solid choice. Or... you know... do what we do here on the forums and buy both, haha!

Best wishes, hope you enjoy what ever new purchase you make!
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder:
Marulaghost

Post by Marulaghost »

The native no longer comes in s25vn

Both models will be in s30v.

Addy this point the differences come down to economics, handle scales, locks, and blade length.

I'd ask what blade length is preferable to you
Nate

Post by Nate »

A bit more expensive, but the back lock Manix 2 can still be had:

https://knifeworks.com/spyderco-c101mbg ... 10-handle/

Both are great knives, the Manix is a notable step up in size from the Native.
:spyder:
ScottG72

Post by ScottG72 »

double tap

sal
ScottG72

Post by ScottG72 »

double tap

sal
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I have a Native 5 Salt and two G10 Manix 2's. They both are really nice knives. The Manix is bigger, not to big for EDC, but some prefer a smaller knife. Both fit and feel comfortable in my hand.

I would get the Manix 2 first, then the Native 5 later. I have a Native 5 with G10 coming tomorrow to compare with the FRN version I have.

Not trying to be the spelling police, but Spyderco is spelled with a Y
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Welcome to the forum, Scott. Nice to have you here.

You really can’t go wrong with either of the two models you mentioned. I don’t know if this makes a difference, but the Manix is a larger knife and will take up a bit more pocket space as compared to the Native. The G-10 Manix will be heavier than the lightweight Native, but has a larger handle that you may find to be more comfortable. However, the lightweight Native carries nicely in the pocket and is a back-lock, which would be comparable in function to the Buck 110. I carry both on occasion and like them equally well. Good luck! Let us know which one you choose.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Welcome aboard! My son has a Manix 2 and loves it. It's a great all around user.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Both are good options, but if you're looking for some reassuring heft and a lock with zero play, the manix is the way to go.

Pick up a Chaparral LW afterwards to see the other side of the spectrum.

Another option to consider is the sage 5 LW, it's a fantastic all around option.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

First Spyderco should be a PM2, or a PM3 if you want something a bit smaller. Bento Box Shop still has two of the better steels still in stock M390 and K390.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
acer

Post by acer »

Hi Scott welcome and above all have fun. Food for thought STRETCH 2 . Make each day count.over and in . Out
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

ScottG72 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm
I am stepping into a new class of knife and could use some advice. Until now, I have only purchased hunting knifes.
I am looking for a combination of EDC and protection.

I have done a little too much research (video's-artical's-blogs) and now have more information then I know what to do with.
Looked at handle materials, steels, locks, bearings, size and weight comparisons and more.

I was looking at Benchmade or Spiderco and am leaning towards the Spiderco. The problem now is the plethora of options Spiderco has.

This is the budget I am trying to hold to for my 1st EDC.

I am using a Buck 110 as a comparison for size and it fits pretty good in my hand and pocket, I have average size hands.

It looks like the Manix 2 gives a lot more bang the the buck but don't know.

I like the fact that the Manix 2 has a liner, a form of bearing (I do get that it is not a true bearing system, and G10 grips.

I like that the Native 5 comes in S35VN and prefer the locking mechanism, and weight. I also like that there are a lot less peices to go wrong.

Please be gentle, I am just learning.

Any input you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Bearings - My Sage 5 LW with the bushing pivot and phosphor bronze washers is smoother than Spydercos and ZTs I own that have bearing washers.

I prefer the Native 5 family to the Manix family because the back-lock mechanism is easier to reassemble than the caged ball bearing lock. I've also had liners rust on the side of the liner that sits against the handles. I like that the Native 5 LW (and most of the current G10 handle models) don't have liners. The Native 5 LW has raised sections on the inside of the handles that serve as washers for the blade pivot. The lockup on my Native 5 LW is rock solid. The tolerances on the blade to lock bar fit, and overall build quality, are more important than the handle material. If you want a knife that's easy to disassemble and deep clean, get the Native 5 LW and don't worry about it.

If you want even less to go wrong, get a Native 5 LW Salt. The blade and hardware are nearly rustproof. On top of that, the LC200N blade steel is very easy to sharpen, while still having vert good edge retention. The Native 5 LW Salt is only $130, so barely more than the Manix.

Last, have you ever served in the US Military; or are you currently LE, Fire, or EMS? If so, Spyderco has an awesome discount program that will really help your budget.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ScottG72 wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:42 pm
-----

Hi Scott, welcome to the forum! :)

You picked two rather different knives in many aspects (size, weight, cutting edge, lock type, materials), so maybe (just a suggestion) it would be a good idea to define what you roughly generally are looking for in your main EDC? Starting by size and weight I´d say?

If you come from the Buck 110, like its size, weight and amount of cutting edge and want something closer to that knife in Spyderco quality and design:
Manix 2, no doubt! It will still be lighter (and still offer a bit less cutting edge), but is a rather hefty and solid knife for its size in Spydercos lineup.

The Native 5 LW on the other hand is a lot "less" (not in a negative sense!) knife than the Buck 110: Much smaller, and especially lighter, but if you need the long edge of the Buck you´ll most likely find the Natives edge too short (or will find out that a shorter blade is sufficient most of the times anyway. I personally prefer longer blades as my main EDC though, but that´s just me).

You also seem to be not decided yet on if you want linered, solid construction (you say you like that on the Manix) or lightweight linerless (you say you like the light weight of the Native).
For me both is fine, but be assured: With a Spyderco you don´t have to be afraid that, as you say, "plastic on metal will effect movement (negatively)" nor that the Manix could have "too many pieces to go wrong".
Both the Native and the Manix are perfectly constructed, no worries, and should something not be right (very, very unlikely), Spyderco will take care of it!

And you certainly are aware of that both the Native 5 and the Manix 2 come in a lightweigt AND a "heavier" construction (though the G10 Native 5 in S30V has no liners, but you won´t feel that other than in reduced weight I think)?

If you´re looking for a knife that you can put in the fifth pocket / coin pocket of your jeans (as you say): I think you could somehow do that with the Native, but it is still a bit big for that. A Chaparral FRN offers almost the same cutting edge and would be the better choice then (and is generally what I personally prefer over the Native in roughly that size class, but you have to be aware of that the Chap is a really thin knife, both in handle and blade, with all the pros and cons that brings).

To be honest: Especially since you say you prefer the lock of the Native (mid backlock) for a first Spyderco I´d recommend an Endela (roughly Manix edge lenght) or, if you want something sized closer to your buck 110, an Endura. Both are really light, but still have liners, and a slimmer carry in the pocket than the Manix.
Both have great ergos for me, but if you want to discover the typical Spyderco ergos with a great finger choil, the Manix is the way to go once more (it has two perfect grip options, four fingers on the handle or choked up on the choil)...

Concluding; If you want to stick to the two models you listed:

For my main and only EDC (so if I had only ONE Spyderco) I personally would certainly go with the Manix 2, cause I think a longer edge makes a knife more versatile and cause it has amazing ergos and two perfect grip options!
But tbh: For my main and only EDC I´d pick the lightweight version of the Manix over the G10 version.. :D (but if you don´t mind the weight of even the buck 110, go with the latter!!)
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:33 pm
Both are good options, but if you're looking for some reassuring heft and a lock with zero play, the manix is the way to go.

Pick up a Chaparral LW afterwards to see the other side of the spectrum.

Another option to consider is the sage 5 LW, it's a fantastic all around option.

+ 1 on both.

Scott/OP, if you want to stick to that (rather small) size class, I personally think those are the two best choices... just for me even a bit better than Native 5 or Para 3 (which are great knives too, don´t get me wrong) for several reasons (but keep in mind: That is totally subjective, others will feel differently and have their valid reasons for that too!)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)