The muscular Shamans lean and wiry "kissing cousin" (borrowed that term from Sal) ?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

The muscular Shamans lean and wiry "kissing cousin" (borrowed that term from Sal) ?!

Post by Wartstein »

Fellow forum member "JMM" (thanks! :) )recently pointed me to this post by Sal:

"I am working on a "kissing cousin" of the Shaman. Lighter and used the same ergos, but totally different materials. I'm thinking to make it a high hollow to save weight..." viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&p=1406714&hil ... n#p1406714

In the corresponding thread a lightweight / FRN Shaman already gets discussed quite a bit, but since the title of the thread is referring to something else ("K390 Shaman") I figure many might have missed that discussion..

So... I am really excited about the idea of a lightweight / FRN Shaman (and like some others even have proposed it in the past)!

I know, the first reaction of some might be: "No, the Shaman is "THE" beefy and substantial knife, a lightweight version is not a good idea"

But think about it:
- The amazing ergos of the Shaman
- The tall Shaman blade, but with a high hollow grind and maybe even a bit thinner blade stock: That would make for a crazy slicing geometry, but still overall strong blade
- And all of that in a substantially lighter package

Maybe not a "real Shaman" anymore, right, but something at least as good in another "realm" along the perfect lines of the Shaman...

Imagine you´d pair these two models:
The hefty Shaman and its lightweight, ultra-slicey "kiss-cousin", the latter maybe even in the "modern", less aggressive SE pattern... I think you´d be perfectly prepared for literally any thinkable folding knife task that might occur...
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JustinB

Re: The muscular Shamans lean and wiry kissin cousin.. ?!

Post by JustinB »

I'm definitely interested to see where Sal goes with this model. The fact that he said totally different materials makes me wonder, maybe it will be in Spy27 with cobalt blue FRN scales?
Justin :spyder:
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

I hope it has a backlock or at least have a shaman backlock variant.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

PeanutButterFan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:16 am

As much as I love Spydercos backlock: I think the tall Shaman blade would not fit in the Shaman handle together with a backlock (I even seem to remember Sal saying something like this)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This one has my interest as well. Not a fan of frn, but he also didn't state what materials so there's still hope there. I do love that big beefy blade, but wouldn't be opposed to a slighty slicier version. Now we play the waiting game!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It'll totally depend on the whole package for me. If it's just a flat scaled hollow grind version then I'll probably pass. A big part of the appeal of this knife for me is the thicker rounded handle vs the ocean of 2x4 slab knives out there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SG89

Post by SG89 »

If it's a kissing cousin should we call this knife the Alabama?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:32 am
PeanutButterFan wrote:

As much as I love Spydercos backlock: I think the tall Shaman blade would not fit in the Shaman handle together with a backlock (I even seem to remember Sal saying something like this)
Sure it will. Cold steel has some truly huge folders with backlocks. They have fir years.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm definitely interested!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:04 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:32 am
PeanutButterFan wrote:

Sure it will. Cold steel has some truly huge folders with backlocks. They have fir years.

Doc, I think you're generally right on this. But concerning the Shaman specifically I am quite sure Sal said this could be a problem. So probably the Shaman HANDLE would have to be made a tad taller in order to have space for a backlock and the current Shaman blade?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Gotta say, I can’t begin to imagine what Sal is suggesting in light of the Shaman. I was similarly puzzled when he hinted the Shaman in light of Chief. The man keeps us hopping!
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:08 am
This one has my interest as well. Not a fan of frn, but he also didn't state what materials so there's still hope there. I do love that big beefy blade, but wouldn't be opposed to a slighty slicier version. Now we play the waiting game!

I am not sure either if Sal necessarely had FRN in mind when he talked about a "lighter version"... but earlier in the linked thread he is asking if there would be "any interest for an FRN Shaman in K390" - that´s at least a rather strong hint - ?!
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86153&hilit=shaman+ ... 0#p1406216
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:29 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

I am not sure either if Sal necessarely had FRN in mind when he talked about a "lighter version"... but earlier in the linked thread he is asking if there would be "any interest for an FRN Shaman in K390" - that´s at least a rather strong hint - ?!
Yes, he did! And then a bit later he said if there was an frn Shaman in k390, it'd have the same color scales as the other k390 frn models. I, for one, am in! And if it ends up with a high hollow grind to save weight, I'm in on that, too.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:05 pm
Double post, sorry
Last edited by Wartstein on Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Yes, he did! And then a bit later he said if there was an frn Shaman in k390, it'd have the same color scales as the other k390 frn models. I, for one, am in! And if it ends up with a high hollow grind to save weight, I'm in on that, too.

Thanks! So it would come in a darker blue? VERY nice! (Though you would swap the scales with TeroTuf-ones immidiately anyway., right?... ;) )

And again, high hollow grind would not only be great concerning reduced weight! Imagine how superslicey such a tall blade with this grind would be (and maybe even go all the way and give it a bit thinner stock than the current Shaman too.... :rolleyes: )
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:14 am
If it's a kissing cousin should we call this knife the Alabama?

This must be an US insider-joke...tbh I don´t get it... :o
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:11 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Thanks! So it would come in a darker blue? VERY nice! (Though you would swap the scales with TeroTuf-ones immidiately anyway., right?... ;) )

And again, high hollow grind would not only be great concerning reduced weight! Imagine how superslicey such a tall blade with this grind would be (and maybe even go all the way and give it a bit thinner stock than the current Shaman too.... :rolleyes: )
Lol - terotuf for them all! And I agree about the blade grind- it could be awesome on a lw Shaman or similar.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Surfingringo

Re: The muscular Shamans lean and wiry "kissing cousin".. ?!

Post by Surfingringo »

I like the Shaman but I have not bought one yet. If there was a lightweight version with a high hollowgrind I would purchase one INSTANTLY!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

I'd buy a high hollow grind lightweight Shaman too, as long it had a highly corrosion resistant blade steel. S30V would be sufficient. Just no tool steels - those have been most of the sprints and exclusives this year. It's time for more S90V, S110V, 20CV and the like.
JMM

Post by JMM »

ugaarguy wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:28 pm
I'd buy a high hollow grind lightweight Shaman too, as long it had a highly corrosion resistant blade steel. S30V would be sufficient. Just no tool steels - those have been most of the sprints and exclusives this year. It's time for more S90V, S110V, 20CV and the like.
Tool steels are unquestionably my favourite, but you are right about them getting so much of the Shaman attention as of late... I think something from the M390 family would be great, and I'd buy one in s90v in a second. I would have to hard pass on s110v, I don't think it would make for a good Shaman at all, with it's difficult sharpening, lack of toughness, to say nothing of it's desire to chip, it just seems like the wrong steel for a hard use folder.... just my2c :D