Trusted knife trading services?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Zachreed1

Trusted knife trading services?

Post by Zachreed1 »

Any recommendations on knife trading services?
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
p_atrick

Re: Trusted knife trading services?

Post by p_atrick »

I've done a trade or two, bought a few knives, and sold some too all on /r/knife_swap.
Mm1313

Post by Mm1313 »

No trusted services per say, just trusted members on different platforms... The 2 best w/ the least amount of scamming or problems by a long margin are reddit knifeswap & bladeforums listings(u have to pay a yearly fee to sell). I dabble on FB & IG as well but there are way to many shady deals & characters on there that I would only do trades w/ actual friends or people I've done multiple prior deals with... Before doing any deal, always research their name, screen name, email & PayPal name(the actual name registered on PayPal).
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

AR15.com equipment exchange is another good source. It's not as high volume as other places, however scammers tend to not be as prevalent.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Equipment-E ... lades/115/
DTPrime

Post by DTPrime »

If you're concerned about getting ripped off Bladeforums would be my choice, it has a full feedback and rating system for transactions. Knife_swap allows you to confirm successful trades as well so you can at least see how many transactions someone has.
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Being a paid member on BladeForums is worth it to me, I generally only buy/sell on that site, though I've been offered trades I generally decline.

The only trade I can recall was a number of years ago with Travis (A.K.A. the Knife Joker), which of course went well, we both still own the Spdercos that were traded.

The other thing I've seen is both parties sending their knives to an intermediary person that both have agreed to (sometimes a moderator), from there each knife is shipped to the proper owner; it may involve extra cost/time but it's another option.

As others stated, do your research on people and don't hesitate to ask for references from the groups that you're on!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Trades are risky by nature. I just sell a knife and then buy one, always using PP G&S. You have to pay fees but if anything goes wrong you have protection.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Any suggestion from EU users?
I foresee I will need to sell some of my knives that don't see much use.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mm1313 wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:48 pm
No trusted services per say, just trusted members on different platforms... The 2 best w/ the least amount of scamming or problems by a long margin are reddit knifeswap & bladeforums listings(u have to pay a yearly fee to sell). I dabble on FB & IG as well but there are way to many shady deals & characters on there that I would only do trades w/ actual friends or people I've done multiple prior deals with... Before doing any deal, always research their name, screen name, email & PayPal name(the actual name registered on PayPal).

Even worse, long time "trusted members" on forums that allow only paid members to sell can suddenly go off the rails and burn you. Worse yet, if you're "the noob" and suggest you've been burned by them, other members will inevitably rush to their defense and paint you as a liar. They'll often get away with multiple burns before their buddies accept the fact they've been ripping people off. Buying, selling, or trading anything from strangers is always going to involve some degree of risk, doing it online increases that risk considerably.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

p_atrick wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:33 pm
I've done a trade or two, bought a few knives, and sold some too all on /r/knife_swap.
I second this. Not sure if people will get that this is a forum on reddit.com/r/knife_swap
blues

Post by blues »

bladeforums has a stellar history of successful buying, selling and trading. I know this because I have been a super mod there for 20+ years, so I'm familiar with the good, the bad and the ugly for the most part.

The community and the administration do their very best to help those few who find themselves in the clutches of scoundrels and thieves. I've banned a very few for such.
- Retired from the chase -
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:34 am

Even worse, long time "trusted members" on forums that allow only paid members to sell can suddenly go off the rails and burn you. Worse yet, if you're "the noob" and suggest you've been burned by them, other members will inevitably rush to their defense and paint you as a liar. They'll often get away with multiple burns before their buddies accept the fact they've been ripping people off. Buying, selling, or trading anything from strangers is always going to involve some degree of risk, doing it online increases that risk considerably.
This is true. There's a lot of people with poor moral compasses who at the first sign of financial trouble will turn into a snake and screw friends and family; an unknown person on the internet is even easier to justify... I've been lucky so far with hundreds of user to user transactions online, and I have seen people getting burned nearly daily in the forums.