Bring Back the Catcherman?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

Re: Bring Back the Catcherman?

Post by zhyla »

skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:15 pm
I think your assessment is spot on. Not saying the average fisherman is a cheap bastid, but perhaps the average fisherman should not be Spyderco's targeted demographic in this instance.
I'll put a finer point on that... how much does even someone who regularly EDC's a $150 knife want to spend on a knife they will:

1. Only use while fishin.
2. Likely lose on a fishing trip.

There are a lot of cases where a $10 knife is ideal and that mostly isn't Spyderco's space.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:02 pm

An FFG Catcherman in LC200N, would get my money, times two, atleast.

I'd buy one in SE and one in PE for sure. I think it is definitely Sprint-worthy.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Being a avid fisherman and catching big fish where I live I have nothing but PE Pacific salts for filleting on the boat nowadays as Barramundi are filleted scales on and fillet knives are too thin.

But the catcherman got me into this whole Spyderco mess. And yes I lost a few.

I would be happy with a pacific Salt with a Toxic green handle

Though I would buy a few catcherman
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

zhyla wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:52 am
skeeg11 wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:15 pm
I think your assessment is spot on. Not saying the average fisherman is a cheap bastid, but perhaps the average fisherman should not be Spyderco's targeted demographic in this instance.
I'll put a finer point on that... how much does even someone who regularly EDC's a $150 knife want to spend on a knife they will:

1. Only use while fishin.
2. Likely lose on a fishing trip.

There are a lot of cases where a $10 knife is ideal and that mostly isn't Spyderco's space.
Wait, what? Only use while fishing? Likely to lose on a fishing trip?

I use mine in the kitchen together with the Siren and Waterway, Z-cut, and 4" serrated. When I go out to dinner I use the Catcherman and the Siren as steak knives. Never had a second look from a server. I am an avid fisherman and have never "lost" a knife, much less dropped one in the water. I guess I'm probably just an entitled fat old white guy who enjoys the finest Spydercos in their most efficient applications.
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

standy99 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:24 pm
Being a avid fisherman and catching big fish where I live I have nothing but PE Pacific salts for filleting on the boat nowadays as Barramundi are filleted scales on and fillet knives are too thin.

So when you get the Barramundi home do you skin it with a larger fillet knife or scale it and cook with skin on?

I love to catch and eat Bluegills and Lake Perch and the Catcherman worked great last weekend for filleting them.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

A Catcherman with blaze orange FRN scales and an FFG LC200 plain edge blade would get my money.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Catcherman was such a great fillet knife and a great kitchen knife as well. I'm fortunate enough to have snagged one of the older AUS-8, Full SE models>> which is by far my favorite edition of the Catcherman they ever made. The fully serrated Catcherman was a super tool all the way around. But I also liked the CE version of the Catcherman as well.

Yeah this model should return in a newer/better blade steel and it should be available in full Spyderedge this next time around. Also a newer more grippy handle would be nice as well.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

JohnAPA wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm
standy99 wrote:

So when you get the Barramundi home do you skin it with a larger fillet knife or scale it and cook with skin on?

I love to catch and eat Bluegills and Lake Perch and the Catcherman worked great last weekend for filleting them.
Scales are too big and skin too thick on wild caught ones, so you fillet scales on and remove skin and scales together. So you need a thicker blade as you’re cutting through scales along the back. Same for another big fish In Darwin the jewfish that are usually just as big.

Most restaurant barramundi are farm caught and a lot smaller and are scaled and served with skin on.

All other fish you would scale first like normal.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

A Emerson waved catcherman Would be great, to minimize the thumb hole and deploy to action quicker
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

standy99 wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:25 am
JohnAPA wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:38 pm
standy99 wrote:

Scales are too big and skin too thick on wild caught ones, so you fillet scales on and remove skin and scales together. So you need a thicker blade as you’re cutting through scales along the back. Same for another big fish In Darwin the jewfish that are usually just as big.

Most restaurant barramundi are farm caught and a lot smaller and are scaled and served with skin on.

All other fish you would scale first like normal.
Thanks, makes perfect sense.