Question for other owners of Native5 S90V CF (C41CFFP5)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JMM

Question for other owners of Native5 S90V CF (C41CFFP5)

Post by JMM »

I just managed to procure a Native5 w/S90V and Carbon Fiber scales (C41CFFP5) and I was curious what other users opinions & experiences have been. This is my first Native5 -- I am super excited! Any sort input from the group would be greatly appreciated -- pointers, tips, warnings, anything to do or not do, whatever, this is a rippin good group of folks that I always enjoy hearing from.... :) ;) :D

Cheers,

John
GJMcD

Re: Question for other owners of Native5 S90V CF (C41CFFP5)

Post by GJMcD »

I’ve found mine to be an outstanding little knife (usually carry a Shaman or Endura at work). The only issue I found was the action getting extremely stiff when I flipped the clip for right hand, tip down carry. As long as you prefer tip up it’s an absolute treat, and even non knife people think it looks great.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I really admire mine. Quite a bit more refined than my G10 Native5s, whose blockiness I liken to my mid-lock “mini” Manix, but in smaller form.

S90V is one of my favorite steels, but more importantly, it’s one of Sal’s.

I carry mine rarely, but only because I prefer larger and smaller Spydies.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JMM

Post by JMM »

I have always liked S90V, but the last couple years I've really been on a tool steel kick, after some recent testing I did I was reminded of what a good steel it is, I have a Shaman & Delica in it, and I'm definitely a fan of the S90V + Carbon Fibre look/feel that Sal is apparently a fan of as well. It seemed like a good knife to dip my toe in the Native5 water, for no particular reason I've just never had one, but I love the Shaman and I've held a Chief before so I think it's a pretty good bet that I'll dig it. Thanks for your input GJMcD & wrdwrght, I appreciate it!

Cheers

John
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

GJMcD wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:56 pm
I’ve found mine to be an outstanding little knife (usually carry a Shaman or Endura at work). The only issue I found was the action getting extremely stiff when I flipped the clip for right hand, tip down carry. As long as you prefer tip up it’s an absolute treat, and even non knife people think it looks great.
Take a look at the clip screws, they might be a little too long and be pressing against the washers on the pivot. Back them off and see if the pivot frees up.

For some reason I never clicked with the linered g10 native 5, but love the fluted CF version. I’m not someone that complains about the weight of a knife so I don’t think it was that. In fact, I appreciate a little heft.

I can’t say I’m a big fan of s90v. I think I just need to figure out how to sharpen the stuff. I even bought one of the linerless cruwear g10 natives with a blade swap in mind, but I hate to screw with the factory fit & finish of the fluted model.

I read somewhere on the forum that Sal said some of the tolerances on the Golden made backlocks is .0003”. I marvel at it every time I open and close the knife. Beside a deep carry MXG clip the only thing I’ve done to mine was to go around the edges of the scales with some 400-600 grit sand paper and slightly radius them.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
GJMcD

Post by GJMcD »

Yeah, I tried that ronT2. As soon as it’s tight enough for the clip to contact the scales it binds up. Not a deal breaker for me as long as I remember it’s upside down (for me) every time I use it.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I always roll tip-up, right-handed, w/a deep carry clip, so hopefully that won't be an issue... I'm excited, I don't know why I waited so long to get a Native, but it's definitely long overdue... hopefully getting the G10 (CF) version with S90V won't ruin me for other versions ;)
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Best version of the Native5 IMO! Very light and the contoured handle is great. Be sure to clean the manufacturing grime from the lock bar jimping. I think every new Native5 I've bought had it.