Knife conscience

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PStone

Re: Knife conscience

Post by PStone »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:31 pm

Do you have a knife conscience? If so, what has it prevented you from doing, or pushed you to do?
My knife conscience keeps me from talking bad about crap knifes. Like when a friend or coworker shows you their knife. No matter how bad or junky or cheap the thing is, my comments are always positive. I never want to make anyone feel bad about what knife they have/use. That’s my KC.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

PStone wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am
Albatross wrote:

Do you have a knife conscience? If so, what has it prevented you from doing, or pushed you to do?
My knife conscience keeps me from talking bad about crap knifes. Like when a friend or coworker shows you their knife. No matter how bad or junky or cheap the thing is, my comments are always positive. I never want to make anyone feel bad about what knife they have/use. That’s my KC.
Absolutely! I've taken a few of the guys from works knives and sharpened them up, cleaned them out a bit, tighten up lose pivots, etc. They really appreciate it, and seem to take better care of them afterwards. They still think I'm crazy when carrying a $170 knife though haha. Try to lure them into the Spyderco budget line, but most are unwilling to spend over $20 or so.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 am
PStone wrote:
Albatross wrote:

Absolutely! I've taken a few of the guys from works knives and sharpened them up, cleaned them out a bit, tighten up lose pivots, etc. They really appreciate it, and seem to take better care of them afterwards. They still think I'm crazy when carrying a $170 knife though haha. Try to lure them into the Spyderco budget line, but most are unwilling to spend over $20 or so.

Ha! I just don’t tell what I paid for mine :D They too would think I was crazy.

But I know what you mean about seeing people take better care afterwards. One of my custodians got a bad Chinese Kershaw Shuffle bootleg for a gift at Xmas. As he took it out to show, (he knew it was bad) said “I just got this crappy knife, and wanted to see what you thought.” I coulda told him the truth. And then he would probably never use it. Instead I pointed out that it was stainless, so it shouldn’t really rust. And a hollow pivot isn’t too common, so that made it somewhat unique. It also had a cap lifter that can double as a pry/scraper tool. Plus it had a coated blade which would keep it low key. So now this kid carries this knife everyday. Uses it, asks about maintenance and sharpening. He’s learning. And I like to think it was because I didn’t dog on his knife right away.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

PStone wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:29 am
PStone wrote:
Albatross wrote:

Ha! I just don’t tell what I paid for mine :D They too would think I was crazy.

But I know what you mean about seeing people take better care afterwards. One of my custodians got a bad Chinese Kershaw Shuffle bootleg for a gift at Xmas. As he took it out to show, (he knew it was bad) said “I just got this crappy knife, and wanted to see what you thought.” I coulda told him the truth. And then he would probably never use it. Instead I pointed out that it was stainless, so it shouldn’t really rust. And a hollow pivot isn’t too common, so that made it somewhat unique. It also had a cap lifter that can double as a pry/scraper tool. Plus it had a coated blade which would keep it low key. So now this kid carries this knife everyday. Uses it, asks about maintenance and sharpening. He’s learning. And I like to think it was because I didn’t dog on his knife right away.
The other school of thought is maybe people should hear they have a bad tool before finding out the hard way. Before the knife breaks in use, or the lock doesnt engage.

If an adult has a gas station knife, I wont shoot it down, but I will remind them you get what you pay for and that what they got was very cheap.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Yep! I've told a couple of the guys, or showed them how loose their pivot was, that the liner lock could easily disengage while they use it because of the blade play. Things a non afi doesn't really think about. But, as PStone said...I try not to degrade them, but teach them a bit. I've definitely handled a few that I would never use in the condition they were in when they handed them to me.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
PStone

Post by PStone »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:10 pm

The other school of thought is maybe people should hear they have a bad tool before finding out the hard way. Before the knife breaks in use, or the lock doesnt engage.

If an adult has a gas station knife, I wont shoot it down, but I will remind them you get what you pay for and that what they got was very cheap.
That is a extremely good point VooDoo. I never thought of it like that. Now this is going to be on my knife conscience.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

I simply can't keep knives around that don't call out to me to be carried, used and enjoyed without worry over dings, drops or degradation.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them