Handle scale color and material

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How important is handle scale color to you?

Very. Color and material dictate my purchases.
16%
Somewhat. I am more partial to certain colors and materials, but make exceptions.
60%
Not really. I generally take other factors into account first.
23%
Not at all. A tool is a tool.
1%

Total votes: 83

legOFwhat?

Re: Handle scale color and material

Post by legOFwhat? »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 pm
Design, steel, color. In that order.
This.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
fixall

Post by fixall »

It's fairly important to me... However, if I like the steel, blade shape, and ergonomics enough I'll have a handle made in the color and materials I prefer.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I´m in the "somewhat" group (like the majority).

Out of the "main" handle materials I prefer FRN by far (and from a purely practical point of view anyway). Luckily the models I like designwise mostly come in FRN anyway (Endura family, Chap...)

FRN knives also tend to be a bit cheaper than let´s say G10 models, that makes it easier to invest some money from time to time and dress one up in custom scales.

Love Micarta and some woods, but they are very rare on factory knives.

Color: I certainly do have preferences (love the Endura blue!) but if I like a model it does not matter much if it comes in black or green or whatever.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Depends. As a collector, there are Spyderco models that I'll buy every variant of, regardless of handle color, material, or texture. On the other hand, for the ones I actually carry, I have a strong bias toward natural materials and Micarta, but I'm open to most materials Spyderco has used with the exception of Nishijin Glass and Rafir Noble. For "plastic" handles (which, to me, encompasses everything from FRN to CF) I'm open to most colors, but prefer black, grey, white, and "earth tones" and am not fond of pastels. I also have a strong preferences regarding handle finish in that, while I'm open to both G-10 and CF when they are polished, given a matte finish, or corrugated "Anso style" I detest peel-ply finishes on them.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

It's also nice when you get that certain handful of models that make it easy to change it up. Like the KC Cruwear exclusives for instance. Say you love or wanted some Cruwear, but not a fan of the smooth G10, most of those models it's easy to find some custom scales. More money, yes...but it really makes the knife feel more like your own when you slap scales of your own choosing on the knife.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sok

Post by sok »

For me the handle is all about function and weight. Color is secondary. All my knives are purchased to use, but most get pushed to the back of the drawer after a couple of days use.

After carrying a carbon fiber handled Caly 3.5, for close to five years, I can’t bring myself to carry a textured handled knife. That smooth transition in and out of my pocket is something I have gotten used to and don’t want to give up. I have tried sanding down G10 but it becomes slick. It seems there’s a difference between smooth and slick.

I tend to like toned down colors in general. Bright colored frn for fishing knives seems appropriate for some reason. But, by the time the parameters that I have set for a handle; light, smooth, and in a knife I will carry, are met I usually have few options when it comes to color. That is why when a poll shows up asking about options for a particular knife, I choose micarta. That seems to be my only option to get smooth and colorful.

Usually my knife is only out of my pocket for about ten seconds for any particular job. That is why a smooth transition in and out of my pocket is preferred. I know people that can tell you their life story during the time that they start digging for their knife until they put it back in their pocket.

I am not a particularly big fan of titanium. It adds a little too much weight than I would like. The exception is the Advocate. Spyderco was able to keep this knife under 4 ounces and the smooth texture passes all of the tests that I require for easy pocket access. I love the Advocate.

I have a Para 3 with Maxamet steel that I want to give more carry time to, but I need to get some aftermarket scales for it. I want to try some smooth micarta this time around.

So far as hard use, I think there is a fine line between hard use and abuse. I use my knife many times a day for a variety of things. I also usually have a tool bag/box close by so that I don’t have to abuse my edge. If I want to scrape gasket material from some sort of housing, I use a scraper. I don’t have a problem using my pocket knife to cut zip ties, but normally I like to use diagonal cutters because it has more precision and there is less risk inadvertently cutting any surrounding wiring.

I also keep a softer bladed partially serrated tanto knife, that I abuse the **** out of, close by.

My company has been doing a lot of equipment installations lately that use number 4 and 6 gauge stranded wire to supply power. I need to strip about an inch of insulation from the ends of these wires. By the end of the day my K390 Para 3 is noticeably duller. The K390 cleans up good on the Sharpmaker and can shave a one inch path in one pass when I am done. Except for some sort of “in a pinch” situation, that is usually the hardest that I use my pocket folder for. I cut cardboard every day, but if I were to cut cardboard every day, all day, I would probably use a box knife.
sn0wman72

Post by sn0wman72 »

I generally do not find black scales particularly interesting, hence color is likely a fairly significant factor in the decision to add a knife.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Classic black

I like both black and colorful handles. On some knives black looks especially good.The Native family looks great in black. Beyond Spyderco, the Waynorth Black Jack, Gerber LST, Mora Garberg are classics in black.
IMG_20200323_094818.jpg
IMG_20200323_103743sm.jpg
IMG_20200202_114314.jpg
Black G10 Spydercos are classic, elegant and understated. :cool:
IMG_20200221_204447sm.jpg
On the other hand if you have too many of them (or even too high a ratio of them), they could seem dull. For me, variety and balance are key. I like mostly colorful and some black handles. Design, construction and materials are more important, but color can matter too.

Fun with color
IMG_20200323_095707.jpg
Handle material is much more important to me than color. But if i have a choice i will usually pick something other than black. I like micarta and wood, G10 and FRN. Of those i am the least into FRN. I am agnostic on Ti and while i love it in the SpydieChef i don't crave it in any other knife handles (OK, maybe the fluted Ti Native if i could find one and drop the coin :eek: :D ).

Multicolor wood
IMG_20200203_102358sm.jpg
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm more likely to buy a knife if it's not one of the same old boring trio of black, grey and olive drab, but those colors won't keep me away from a design and/or steel I want.
kontei

Post by kontei »

I would never ever buy s knife on "toxing green".
riclaw

Post by riclaw »

I like bright-colored G10 and stainless steel. Lightweight, strong, temperature neutral, impervious to moisture, good texture. The neon green KnifeJoy uses is just :smiling-heart-eyes

I might be OK with FRN. I'm replacing the backspacer on my Delica with one from Flytanium and that might be enough to make the difference.
- Richard
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Prettty much Design, Ergonomics and steel fuel the purchase

Easy one was Para 3 lightweight M4 - in BHQ Mint

Would have bought this knife it had Pink and Yellow polka dot scales
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
tcarltonw

Post by tcarltonw »

Steel first... scales/handle can be addressed in the garage/on the secondary market.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am easy as long as it is not some black plastic or dessert warrior.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10