Handle scale color and material

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

How important is handle scale color to you?

Very. Color and material dictate my purchases.
16%
Somewhat. I am more partial to certain colors and materials, but make exceptions.
60%
Not really. I generally take other factors into account first.
23%
Not at all. A tool is a tool.
1%

Total votes: 83

Albatross

Handle scale color and material

Post by Albatross »

I see a lot of people who are dissatisfied with certain combinations, while others seem to be indifferent. This forum certainly has a decent amount of people in both camps.

There are certain colors that catch my eye, and certain handle materials that are more appealing to me, but these things generally don't direct my purchases. Model and steel are my primary requirements. With other brands, I might be more selective, and that's mostly due to some very low-end materials used for the handles on some knives out there. I would put myself in between casual enthusiast and heavy user. I have narrowed my "collection" down to 4 folders, all of which are Spyderco, and use them multiple times every day, for light to heavy tasks. From opening mail to using my Rex Shaman to separate(prying and cutting) 2 pieces of firewood that were 98% split at 3 am.

What are your thoughts? When it comes to knives, are you a collector, casual enthusiast(light user, bordering on collector), or a heavy user? If you vehemently dislike certain combos, is it personal taste, trying to remain low-key, or a matter of function/comfort? If you don't care about color or handle material, is it a lack of concern for a knife's appearance, or maybe a more minimalist mentality?

Maybe a more simple question; form over function or function over form?
VooDooChild

Re: Handle scale color and material

Post by VooDooChild »

I like some stuff more than others but I also like anything that catches my eye or is lets just say not boring.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Voted #2 Somewhat. Self described "accidental collector" or in your words casual enthusiast(light user, bordering on collector).
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I mostly use my knives for cardboard and tape, cutting up apples and sandwiches, very occasionally zip ties or other items which might be considered "hard use." I guess that makes me a light user? I'd probably be a collector if I put more money into the collection, or if I hadn't lost so many over the years.

I voted very. As you can see in my signature, I like green a lot. Specifically Olives & Forest Greens. When I saw the BBS PM2 in K390 & Ranger Green, I jumped. I hadn't had a Spyderco in my pocket for two years or so, but I basically couldn't not buy it with that combo. Ditto for the Para 3.

I like other colors also, but there are certain colors I just wouldn't bother buying. While yes, there certainly are many after-market options available for most of the popular Spydies, these tend to add significantly to the price. I got my S30V Para 3 for about $100, which made it reasonably for me to go spend $60 on the micarta handle scales. But if I had to spend an extra $60 on a knife that was already $160-200, it'd really have to be the right knife.

I have been looking at the BBS CTS-204P Domino lately, which runs about $200. I've liked the looks of the Domino since it came out, but never really the colors. I would definitely try to replace the G10 scale, which will probably cost about $40. One of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Black is a great default color, of course. But it doesn't get me excited like Green does. I had a black PM2 for a long time (until I lost it at an Illegal Pete's in Denver), and I was happy to use that knife a lot; it's a great knife. But with a green one in my pocket, it feels like my great knife. And that makes the difference.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

I voted #2 myself. I will not avoid buying something I like just because of the colour or scale material, BUT I do like having some degree of choice in colour and material. I would probably classify myself as a heavy user as well. I mean, who doesn't like a little splash of colour every once and a while?
Justin :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm not sure what to call myself...I THINK I consider myself a hard user, but I'm sure MY hard use is light work compared to others?? Some days I'm more in the light category. I've got a nice variety for my collection of 20. Nothing super exotic and weird, just a bunch of staple Spyderco models in various steels, sprints/exclusives.

I definitely chase after different handle materials and colors, as well as steels. I try not to have more than 1 or 2 knives that look similar in color or share a steel. Though I use my knives every day while in the warehouse...I really don't need every Golden model knife in Rex45, that's just a waste of money in my eyes. Rex45 is a favorite, having it a couple models that are quite different is fine by me.

I also have knives I've decided aren't going to be carried anymore while at work, or at least not used like others (dragonfly, ukpk, delica pakkawood) Those are now my weekend carry knives. I don't want to take the chance of damaging them in the warehouse.

Though I definitely use, I also collect them for sure. Almost all of my knives are sprints/exclusives. I seek them out, but take pride in using them and trying to do reviews on them...to help inform people that are interested in how the model/steel perform, I know MANY people will never use a sprint/exclusive...which blows my mind, but I won't get into it here. So I figured I'll be in the very low % to try and help inform others, and hope the nancy's realize what their missing out on while it sits in a box or safe!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

double post

-Rick
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I picked somewhat. Color and material are more of a bonus for me, I'm more interested in the overall design and ergonomics and steel but when I like those things and the handle material and color are also up my alley then it's a bonus. I don't exactly love the Caribbean scales but it's still my #1 knife right now.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Generally a light user, I am very fond of green. Oddly though, I really like the darker burnt orange on the recent Rex 45 releases.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Not unike Evil D, overall design and the steel are more important to me. With those concerns satisfied, I will smile more broadly if the color and material of the scales strike my fancy, as with my new 10V PM2.

I’m not sure why some here have distinguished between light- and hard-use. I regard all Spydie folders as no more than cautious hard-use. They are folders, after all.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:29 am
Not unike Evil D, overall design and the steel are more important to me. With those concerns satisfied, I will smile more broadly if the color and material of the scales strike my fancy, as with my new 10V PM2.

I’m not sure why some here have distinguished between light- and hard-use. I regard all Spydie folders as no more than cautious hard-use. They are folders, after all.

I think by light or hard use Albatross meant people who have their knives mainly as collector pieces and will carry them occasionally, but not do anyting super crazy with it, and people who will carry and use their knives regardless of collectability and put them to work.
Justin :spyder:
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:29 am

No way could you choose, say a Dragonfly or frn Delica over a Shaman or Military if you were going to be doing some light prying, batoning, or harder cuts that require some pressure. I know for me, the Shaman basically feels like a folding fixed blade :D

-Rick
anycal

Post by anycal »

What is the definition of a collector; what's the cutoff in count? Asking for a friend :D

In terms of use, I use all my knives. Hard use depends on the knife. Although there are times when one that shouldn't, gets used in such way.

Heavy use, on the other hand, can be more easily defined by how often you sharpen the knife. I dedicate certain knives for heave use. They will be sharpened more often, they may be dropped or abused in some way, tossed around, or will be used by others when camping or picnic. Beaters.

Most common uses for me are around the house or office - cardboard, during yard work, away from kitchen food prep, wood whittling when bored. Any knife is game in these uses.

This is my progression, and eventually leads to the color and material becoming a factor,
- I find a knife that fits me. First one is what is available at the time.
- If I am lucky, it is a popular model and gets re-leased as sprint/exclusive, and I decide to have more than one
- If the first one was stainless, I try to go for tool steel with the second. Or vice versa.
- If I happen to go for a third, it will likely be tool steel, as I really enjoy those.
- If it gets released as solid CF, I try to jump on that regardles of steel. Unfortunately, not too many CF handles these days.

I chose the second option.
Peter
JMM

Post by JMM »

I voted option 3. If I want a knife, it will be due to the model & steel, not handle material or colour. Yes, there are some that are more interesting than others, but I have never made a decision to buy or not buy a particular knife based on the scales/colours. My 3 most collected/owned/used knives are the Shaman, Manix2, and Para3. All of my Shaman I leave as is, only replacing the stock clip with a deep carry. My Manix2's are hands down my favourite knife to mod/personalize, and every single Manix2 I own is customized, scales, clips, cages, etc... and my Para3's I'm sorta in the middle, all clips get replaced with deep carry clips, and about half get a new scale/colour/material mod/change. :D

Cheers,

John
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I mainly collect, and some models are deal breakers due to scale color/material. Some knives i have replaced the scales but it annoys me "having to" replace the scales to make a brand new knife aesthetically pleasing.
The knives i do use as EDC i don't care *that* much about, still a mismatched scale knife is not on my map :) Unless it's half price for being defective :P
(Sun and moon Chaparral doesn't count, that one i like!)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

It matters to me. It's usually not an absolute criterion, but handles and scales ARE an important part of a knife, so yeah I do take those things into consideration.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Design, steel, color. In that order.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Scale color matters to me. You all are probably sick of me poo pooing black scales, but I just get sooo bored with them, even black carbon fiber. But while I prefer certain scale materials, that's less of a deal-breaker for me. I consider myself a hobbyist - both a collector and a user (in that I don't have any knives that I wouldn't use, but I do keep some I rarely use because I love them). I will make a black scale exception for a design I love - the Smock, the Sliverax, etc, or occassionally if there's a blade steel I really want and I can replace the scales.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I'm somewhat ambivalent, but after nearly six decades of black, I'm happy to have something a little more cheery. I don't know if it's the tradition for all sprints, but I think it's hella cool that the REX 45's are all the same color. It's like a badge for a secret club that only a few recognize... or knowing the handshake for the Loyal Order of Water Buffaloes.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Somewhat. I am more partial to certain colors and materials, but make exceptions.

Many knives only come in black, if an option to have a different color with the same blade steel, I almost always choose to have something different.

I like a little variety in my collection, like choosing what salad dressing Im going to eat tonight