What is the definition of a collector; what's the cutoff in count? Asking for a friend
Heavy use, on the other hand, can be more easily defined by how often you sharpen the knife. I dedicate certain knives for heave use. They will be sharpened more often, they may be dropped or abused in some way, tossed around, or will be used by others when camping or picnic. Beaters.
Most common uses for me are around the house or office - cardboard, during yard work, away from kitchen food prep, wood whittling when bored. Any knife is game in these uses.
This is my progression, and eventually leads to the color and material becoming a factor,
- I find a knife that fits me. First one is what is available at the time.
- If I am lucky, it is a popular model and gets re-leased as sprint/exclusive, and I decide to have more than one
- If the first one was stainless, I try to go for tool steel with the second. Or vice versa.
- If I happen to go for a third, it will likely be tool steel, as I really enjoy those.
- If it gets released as solid CF, I try to jump on that regardles of steel. Unfortunately, not too many CF handles these days.
I chose the second option.