Lynch Northwest Wire Clip Replacement Deep Carry Clip

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
spyderg

Re: Lynch Northwest Wire Clip Replacement Deep Carry Clip

Post by spyderg »

So much better than the wire clip!
D32B0553-5656-4D9F-B886-172BA6103CE5.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

No more of this happening
7D9F22DA-E159-4BCB-AEBF-7A05E57EF1A8.jpeg
7D9F22DA-E159-4BCB-AEBF-7A05E57EF1A8.jpeg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 2701 times
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I noticed the twisting more on the Para 3 LW than I ever had on the Dragonfly or the Manix, but I also found that applying just a touch of purple loctite and tightening the clip screw real good was sufficient to stop it for the most part.

One of the things I like about the stock P3LW clip is it has great retention without being too tight. How does the Lynch clip feel?
Last edited by kennethsime on Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:27 pm
I noticed the twisting more on the Para 3 LW than I ever had on the Dragonfly or the Manix, but I also found that applying just a touch of purple lactate and tightening the clip screw real good was sufficient to stop it for the most part.

One of the things I like about the stock P3LW clip is it has great retention without being too tight. How does the Lynch clip feel?
If I tightened it anymore it would surely strip it, still folds over. The Lynch clip is so much better, can barely feel it. No hotspots at all.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:28 am
kennethsime wrote:
I noticed the twisting more on the Para 3 LW than I ever had on the Dragonfly or the Manix, but I also found that applying just a touch of purple lactate and tightening the clip screw real good was sufficient to stop it for the most part.

If I tightened it anymore it would surely strip it, still folds over. The Lynch clip is so much better, can barely feel it. No hotspots at all.
Does it address the twisting issue completely?

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the input.

We'll address the clip twisting issue.

sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm impressed, I think I'll be doing business with these people. Titanium is so good on so many applications.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:32 am
spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:28 am
kennethsime wrote:

Does it address the twisting issue completely?
So far. I’ve tried “over gripping” it in multiple grips and can get it to move a little but nothing significant. The wire clip constantly folds over without trying. If I hadn’t ordered the replacement, I was going to try adding flat spots top and bottom of the parts that contact the handle and screw with a file.
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Interesting you had this to that degree on the Para3 LW. I noticed it much more on my Sage 5 LW than the Para. Sage wire clip seemed to be a little more flexible in the rotational direction than the para. Perhaps different gauges of wire but I haven’t directly compared. Tightening the screw fixed most of it but it’ll still happen if I white knuckle the Sage, which admittedly I’d never really be doing in real world use with that model.

Thx for the responsiveness, Mr. Glesser. Such a benefit to be able to give direct and listened-to feedback.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Yes thank you Sal for both reading the posts and taking issues seriously.
I find all wire clips will do this, but on some models such as the Kapara, it sits in a spot where it’s unlikely to happen often in my grip. On the Para 3 it’s in a spot where it happened all the time.
I tend to grip things tightly, always have and always will. (After my hand injury They tested grip strength at all my physio appointments, they didn’t need to every time but they were betting on how high it would show. I apparently have a rediculously strong grip. They actually sent the machine out for calibration after the first test thinking it was off). But this happens without an extreme grip at all.
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

My Para3 clip twisted in a similar fashion. Well the end results look identical but it came out of my pocket that way so I’m not sure if pressures on the clip in a squat or other position did it, but I don’t believe it snagged on anything and I’m certain it didn’t happen in my hand.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 pm
I find all wire clips will do this, but on some models such as the Kapara, it sits in a spot where it’s unlikely to happen often in my grip. On the Para 3 it’s in a spot where it happened all the time.
I tend to grip things tightly, always have and always will. (After my hand injury They tested grip strength at all my physio appointments, they didn’t need to every time but they were betting on how high it would show. I apparently have a rediculously strong grip. They actually sent the machine out for calibration after the first test thinking it was off). But this happens without an extreme grip at all.
Ok, I'm curious, how many pounds of force did you max out at, if they measured that way?

I've used the low-tech spring devices and maxed them out around 90lbs but I'm sure they have something more sophisticated at the physical therapist.

spyderg

Post by spyderg »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:04 pm
spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:57 pm
Ok, I'm curious, how many pounds of force did you max out at, if they measured that way?

I've used the low-tech spring devices and maxed them out around 90lbs but I'm sure they have something more sophisticated at the physical therapist.

The pull that prompted the calibration was 74 kilograms with my good hand, I maxed out a little higher. My injured hand was pulling/squeezing just under 60 at that time and got to 68 if I recall.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Forgive me for saying that I hope never to shake your hand. 165 pounds grip? I'm guessing that a gorilla wouldn't want to measure grip strength against you.
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:37 pm
Forgive me for saying that I hope never to shake your hand. 165 pounds grip? I'm guessing that a gorilla wouldn't want to measure grip strength against you.
Lol! Funny thing is I’m not a big guy, 5’8” 190lbs. But hand strength runs in my family. For example, We discovered way back when my sister was maybe 16, that when she sneezed she could crack open an almond in her hand.
They told me at physio, that they get football linemen in there with broken fingers and such. They usually grip in the high 50’s to low 60’s, and these are big guys so that’s why they thought the machine was out of whack.
Anyways enough derailment of the thread, the clip is working nicely. I have Lynch deep carry on a few of my knives and they always fit right and have held up well. This one hopefully will follow suit.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

spyderg wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 7:20 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:37 pm
Lol! Funny thing is I’m not a big guy, 5’8” 190lbs. But hand strength runs in my family. For example, We discovered way back when my sister was maybe 16, that when she sneezed she could crack open an almond in her hand.
They told me at physio, that they get football linemen in there with broken fingers and such. They usually grip in the high 50’s to low 60’s, and these are big guys so that’s why they thought the machine was out of whack.
Anyways enough derailment of the thread, the clip is working nicely. I have Lynch deep carry on a few of my knives and they always fit right and have held up well. This one hopefully will follow suit.
Yea that is pretty crazy. I work at a climbing gym so we all test that stuff for fun and we're all pretty strong but I've never heard of anything like that. Good on you!

Glad the clip is working out for you! I may get one for my Manix 2 LW.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I bought two of these yesterday, direct from lynchnw.com.. looks like they are still in stock there.. not sure for how much longer, i'm seeing "limited quantity" messages.. I've seen these come and go at DLT before as well..

I actually quite like the standard Para 3 LW wire clips, but I'm going to give this clip a try on there and see how it compares.. I plan on putting the other one on my Manix LW.. I think I will like it when it's seated just a little bit deeper in the pocket..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I think like most things it depends. Hand size, clip configuration, mounting connection, etc. a few years back my CF Chaparral had the twisting problem. I sent it back for evaluation it appeared to me that the mounting channels were not deep enough and or the screw head not quite wide enough.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Blasphemy, lol.

Wire Clip for life!!!
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cscottsss wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:47 am
Blasphemy, lol.

Wire Clip for life!!!
Lol I feel ya! But these are really nice too :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb