Can't reassemble my brand new Tenacious

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
austraz

Can't reassemble my brand new Tenacious

Post by austraz »

Hello all.
I've got a problem: I've tried to disassemble the body of my Spyderco and reassemble it.
I'm blocked now as I don't reach to reassemble it.

The problem is with the body screws. There is 6 screws with 3 small cylinders. Out of the body, I can screw each pair of screws with a cylinder. But when I try to screw them with the 2 faces of the body on each side of the cylinders, I only manage to screw one screw. The other one can't be screwed. It's like the others 3 screws are screwing in the void.

Am I doing something wrong?

I wanted to be able to disassemble my Tenacious because I purchased (not received yet) custom copper body parts and I wanted to know how easy it was to install them… -_-'
Sorry for my English, I'm French :-P
Evil D

Re: Can't reassemble my brand new Tenacious

Post by Evil D »

I'm not exactly sure what you mean, but try assembling it with all the screws loose at first and then once they're all screwed together go around the knife and tighten each one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Make sure that the standoffs (the cylinders) are properly aligned.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
araneae

Post by araneae »

Hello, bonjour, and welcome. There are disassembly videos on youtube, try there. I'm not sure what you're describing, but watching someone else do it might help.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

I dealt with some of that with a Tenacious I bought. After about 2 days of owning a new one, a screw fell out (on it's own) from the butt end of the handle. I tried putting it back in but it just turned freely... almost like no threading existed in the liner. I ended up just supergluing in place, forgetting about it, and staying away from China folders. Good luck
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Austraz,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
JMM

Post by JMM »

I'm fairly certain your English is better than my French, but here goes...

Si je comprends bien, cela se comporte comme si vous aviez retiré le filetage interne? Pouvez-vous prendre une photo des vis et de l'entretoise?
austraz

Post by austraz »

Thank you all for your kind answers.
I'm desperate to have to contact the US customer relationship service, as living in Europe, sending back my knife would costs me a lot.

I've taken pictures of my problem. As you can see, everything is okay except the last 3 screws I can't screw back, when I've assembled back the whole knife.

ImageImageImageImage

The standoffs are aligned and I've screwed one screw on each of them. There is still one screw to screw on the other side. As there is 3 standoffs, I've got 3 screws left to screw, but I don't manage to do it.
They are 2 screw on one side of the knife (on the middle, approximately), and 1 screw on the other side (at the end of knife handle).

I've tried to screw them very firmly, pushing a lot on my hand, even using a pliers to tighten the Tenacious firmly…
Mike Blue

Post by Mike Blue »

Is it possible that the tension from the liner spring is pushing just enough to misalign the standoff? try doing this with the blade partly open
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Blade partially open, loosen everything, get everything lined up again, then torque it down 1/4 turn at a time or something
daveo93

Post by daveo93 »

From your one photo it appears you may have an after-market back spacer. I also have a tenacious and mine has three barrels (small cylinders) that the body screws hold into.

If it is an after-market back spacer then that is likely what is causing the issue.

Did you buy the knife new? If yes then try installing the original barrel spacers. If you bought it second-hand then the previous owner may have installed an after-market back spacer that was not machined correctly, thus the alignment issues you are having.

Hope this helps. --Dave
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not have a Tenacious, but does it matter which side of the scales the screws are put in?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

How are the screws themselves? Is it possible they may be partially stripped? Maybe they have enough thread left to grip when you have the standoffs off the scales, but not enough to reach all the way through the scales. Just a thought...
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

The lanyard tube and the standoffs fit through the liners. If they are not aligned then the screws may barely reach. I don't have one with a back spacer like you have.
austraz

Post by austraz »

Okay, I've try without backspacer, check the alignment and I still can't manage it.
I've bought new screws and I've finally been able to fix them.
I guess my original screws are kind of damaged. Can I get some from Spyderco? Or where can I buy some? I bought mine here but they are a bit too big to fit the scales:
as you can see, I've got torx screws (brand original) one side and cross screws (new ones I bought but too bigs) on the other side.
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Are the scale screws all the same length?
Are the stand-off barrels all the same length?

This is speculation on my part, but ...
When off-the-shelf fasteners work but the factory screws won't, it's usually because you're using a short screw designed for one hole in a hole designed for a slightly longer screw.

Sometimes a specific standoff will only need shorter screws (because of a counter-sink in the scale, usually), while another will need longer screws.

Sorry I don't have this specific model to compare with. But it seems likely that some specific arrangement will work, unless they're damaged.

If you remove all the "working" screws, are there holes/standoffs that the "not working" screws will work in? (That is, can you find holes that these three screws were designed for if you look for them first and try standoffs in different places?)
—Daniel Jackson
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I enlarged your image and the original screw threads do look very shiny and smooth. Mine don't look like that so without closer images that could be your issue.
Ldg

Post by Ldg »

I’m sorry but the Phillips screws kind of made me laugh out loud literally. And I almost did the same thing my first time minus losing the screws.
austraz

Post by austraz »

So, no one knows where I can buy replacement screws?
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »