Seki City FRN scales with nested liners

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Seki City FRN scales with nested liners

Post by Baron Mind »

I've really been enjoying my Seki City FRN models lately, specifically the handles. There is just something about them that appeals to me. The soft rounded corners, the subtle texture of the FRN on the flat areas, the added rigidity and heft from the nested steel liners...

I tend to pick up and play with a bunch of knives at once, and those Seki FRN models have really been jumping out at me. They feel so good in hand, both in terms of comfort, and perceived quality.

I only have a Stetch 2 and a couple Delica 4's ATM, so I am very much looking forward to the upcoming K390 run. I'm thinking an Endura. That being said, I'd love to see some more new FRN models out of Seki. Or, if the current Golden FRN models were produced using the Seki methods, that would be sweet.

At the moment, Seki FRN might be my favorite Spyderco handle.
Albatross

Re: Seki City FRN scales with nested liners

Post by Albatross »

Seki does an excellent job on handles for sure. Theirs features my favorite FRN texture pattern of all. The only lightweight models I buy now are from Seki.

The Manix LW FRCP is nice too, and I plan to own more, but I do prefer the Japanese scales.

I wouldn't mind seeing some new models coming out of Seki, but I'm also pretty content with what's offered, and what is about to be offered(K390).

I wouldn't argue with more Seki-made exclusives in FRN, new steels, and interesting colors.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Yup, the Seki frn is the best! Although I will say the frn on the chap lw and the sage lw is a close second for me. I really like that pattern.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:03 pm
Yup, the Seki frn is the best! Although I will say the frn on the chap lw and the sage lw is a close second for me. I really like that pattern.
Oh yea I forgot and that. I've been holding off on a chap LW because I plan on getting the sun and moon version, but I might like the frn better. Didn't get the Sage LW because I have a Sage 5. I also haven't tried the Para 3 LW, but I have a SPY27 on Preorder. Those scales look a lot more contoured than the Native or Manix LWs.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I've been begging for a move back to contoured FRN. The weird trend of going backward to flat slabs has been a real conundrum for me. My Natives need a good 20 minutes with a dremel to make them anywhere close to as comfy as a Delica.

The thread on the Native 3 that just popped up showed off the curviest Seki FRN and that one does take up more pocket space, but the Delica strikes a decent balance.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The countoured nested linered FRN handles are actually one of the reasons why the majority of my Spydies are Seki knives. For me the best overall combination of durability, grippiness in harsher conditions, weight, comfort, footprint in pocket, color variants and also options for custom scales..
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)