Sal—design for Roadie 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Sal—design for Roadie 2

Post by Doc Dan »

Hi Sal, I was not sure how to contact Pete so I thought I would put my idea here. I’m sorry fir the terrible drawing but I hope it carries the idea well enough.

I also thought it would give the others a chance to weigh in. Jazz has a design also.

Anyway, this is it.

I wanted a modified sheep foot/wharncliffe blade with graceful lines. I have not worked out the blade width, only to say proportional increase over the current Roadie based on increased length. The current a Roadie is so easy to pocket, like a pencil stub, and I was trying to keep that ease in mind when drawing this.

It’s ok to laugh. My skin is thick.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JustinB

Re: Sal—design for Roadie 2

Post by JustinB »

I quite like that. I like the smaller spydie holes (spydie nicks?) and the less pronounced hump at the tip. Looks like you shortened the choil a bit to squeeze a little more useable blade in. Now if this was made with nice thin 2mm stock I wouldn't hesitate to pick a few up!
Justin :spyder:
attila

Post by attila »

I’ve always liked the idea of the Roadie. The only reasons I haven’t bought a Roadie are the overly bulbous tip and underwhelming steel.

I’m interested to see where this discussion leads.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Oooo.... that’s cool.
a 2.5” lambs foot roadie would be cooler in my not so humble opinion.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I have a very similar design that would fit this category very well! ;) I'm a bit reluctant to share right now as it's something I'd like to actually produce, but I really like this idea Dan! :spyder:
-Nick :bug-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

attila wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:54 am
I’ve always liked the idea of the Roadie. The only reasons I haven’t bought a Roadie are the overly bulbous tip and underwhelming steel.

I’m interested to see where this discussion leads.
I have similar interest, although I always found the price a tad high too. It's a relatively simple knife. Slip joints definitely seem to be a growing market.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

I'd like more input. You have only added a small amount to the length?

The original Roadie was designed to meet the European requirement for airline travel. We thought it would make it to the US, but never did. Are you asking for a slightly larger version, or is there more input you'd like to share, or input I'm not seeing?

sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Strong back spring is all I ask.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm
Hi Doc,

The original Roadie was designed to meet the European requirement for airline travel. We thought it would make it to the US, but never did. Are you asking for a slightly larger version, or is there more input you'd like to share, or input I'm not seeing?

sal
Hi Sal,

Yes, I want a slightly larger version, one that can more easily cut apples. hahaha! The current blade is too short for that. What I want is still slim like the original, but a slightly longer and broader blade, but not as broad as knives like the Cat or Squeak, by any means. I like how the current model is so trim, about like a #2 pencil. I was also trying to smooth out the transition to the hump and then give it a bit of a point, while still keeping to a modified sheepfoot like the original. The slightly broader blade I would envision to be just a little thinner in stock and thinner behind the edge. I did not include a swedge, but it could have a shallow one if desired, but not necessary. The current Roadie has a 2.09” blade. I prefer 2.65 inches in blade length but I chose 2.5 inches because of so many local laws limiting pocket knife blade length and I did not want the overall knife size to get too large. Trim and slim like the original, but slightly longer in blade and blade width. Does this make sense?
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Ric

Post by Ric »

Flying with a knife (even Victorinox Classic SD) you can forget these days.
Even flying you con forget these days ;)

I did not bought a roadie because of the too thick blade.
A Victorinox Classic SD blade is thin and also survives the daily tasks.
Please make a pocket slicer not a pocket pry bar.
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

My vote is for a Sheepsfoot (two on the left) or Lambsfoot (#3 from the left):

ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Is that a Myrtle-esque recurve on the Doc’s sketch, or just a slight belly? I’m not sure how a belly on a wharncliffe would work.

As an alternative I wonder how a (very) asymmetric spear point might function.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:09 pm
Hi Doc,

sal
Here are some dimensions.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Theldraskien

Post by Theldraskien »

Jazz wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am
I really like the look of this design, Jazz. It reminds me a lot of a slimmer Pingo, which I have been wanting to try but have not been able to find (besides the Elmax/Ti) and not at a reasonable price.

Looks great IMO 👍
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Looks like a Pingo mini. I like it!
Justin :spyder:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:26 am
Is that a Myrtle-esque recurve on the Doc’s sketch, or just a slight belly?
No, just crappy drawing. :D
It has a slight belly like the current Roadie.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

Interesting discussion. Would a 3.0" blade serve your needs? Like Jazz suggests? Making a Roadie 2 with only a slightly longer blade would not justify tooling cost. We could also make a G-10 "test piece" but the cost would be higher per piece.

Hi Ric,

I made the blade thicker to withstand harder use than the Victorinox can handle. It also made the "double dent" easier to use. If we decide to more on a Roadie 2, I would make the bade longer, wider and a bit thinner.

Hey z4vdBt,

The blunt tip was to serve the airlines, as was the double dent, to remove one hand open. A Roadie 2 could begin with a blank sheet. So it's more of what would you like to see without the requirement of airline travel, as Ric said, is note really a consideration.

sal
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

This is something I brought up a while back in bit of a different way. And Doc has is it right with “Trim and Slim like the original, but slightly longer and a bit taller”.

I would love to see a tool steel, micarta, sheepfoot(maybe modified) and still be able to throw it in the pocket of my dress pants without too much bulk. Maybe even Spyderco’s version of a swayback.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85858&p=1395669&hil ... e#p1395669
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 am
Hi Doc,

Interesting discussion. Would a 3.0" blade serve your needs? Like Jazz suggests? Making a Roadie 2 with only a slightly longer blade would not justify tooling cost. We could also make a G-10 "test piece" but the cost would be higher per piece.

Hi Ric,

I made the blade thicker to withstand harder use than the Victorinox can handle. It also made the "double dent" easier to use. If we decide to more on a Roadie 2, I would make the bade longer, wider and a bit thinner.

Hey z4vdBt,

The blunt tip was to serve the airlines, as was the double dent, to remove one hand open. A Roadie 2 could begin with a blank sheet. So it's more of what would you like to see without the requirement of airline travel, as Ric said, is note really a consideration.

sal
Well more blade is good...to a point. As long as it is still trim and slim it might be okay. I prefer 2.65 to 2.75” of blade as I like pocket knives more and more as I get older. I don’t need another Delica sized knife.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I think the 2.75” blade is perfect. It could use the Spy-DK’s handle. The clip is awesome, and isn’t bulky, if you want to throw it in your pocket. I do like a lanyard hole right at the end, though. Might need to doodle some more.
- best wishes, Jazz.