Sal—design for Roadie 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Sal—design for Roadie 2

Post by Doc Dan »

This Vic Pioneer X has a 2.75” blade, which is optimal. The height Of the handle is good, too. It is too thick, though, obviously, because of all the tools. Bit it is otherwise a nice size.

The handle of the Roadie is brilliant and the Roadie 2 needs to have a Roadie-esque handle: slim and trim and mostly neutral.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:12 am
Hi Doc,

Interesting discussion. Would a 3.0" blade serve your needs? Like Jazz suggests? Making a Roadie 2 with only a slightly longer blade would not justify tooling cost. We could also make a G-10 "test piece" but the cost would be higher per piece.

sal
One more thing, I hope the regular Roadie stays in the product line. It is my favorite small knife and I’ve given at least six away as gifts and plan on more.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Couple more ideas/doodlings. First has a Spy-DK handle with a tiny bit more blade. Second has a changed handle with a lanyard hole. I need that on small knives. Both have wire clips. Obviously, they’re removable.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:14 am
Couple more ideas/doodlings. First has a Spy-DK handle with a tiny bit more blade. Second has a changed handle with a lanyard hole. I need that on small knives. Both have wire clips. Obviously, they’re removable.

Let’s try putting that blade on a Roadie handle and see what we’ve got.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Here are a couple more variations of the Roadie, a larger one and a swayback.

Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

After looking at them, I think the ricasso could be shortened to give a bit more blade length and make the entire choil a bit smaller.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:39 am
Here are a couple more variations of the Roadie, a larger one and a swayback.

I like the blade on the bottom one and the handle on the top one.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I like the second one, but no sway back. Not comfortable to use. And more width to the blade and handle.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Here it is with handle 1 and blade 2 and a bit taller. Also a shorter ricasso and K390 :D

Dane

Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Not bad. For me, I’d prefer a clip and lanyard hole.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:50 pm
I’m indifferent on both of those, but looking at it more it reminds me of an FRN Kiwi.
Dane

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:06 pm
Jazz wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:50 pm
I’m indifferent on both of those, but looking at it more it reminds me of an FRN Kiwi.
Looks pretty good, actually. And yes, it does look a lot like a Kiwi, which is not a bad thing.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

Dazen wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:27 am
Here it is with handle 1 and blade 2 and a bit taller. Also a shorter ricasso and K390 :D

YES! A modernized slipjoint while keeping the heart of it all with a nice slender wharncliffe blade in a super wear resistant tool steel
Justin :spyder:
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Roadie handle, pretty much Roadie blade (still has enough point), pocket clip, and lanyard hole.
First has regular choil. Second is more blade, adjusted handle. I like the second one better.

I would actually love this knife. Didn’t think I would. Good recommendation on the Roadie handle instead, Doc. Same size as a Benchmade Proper, but better and lighter. Still fits fine in a pocket bottom, if so desired. I think it would sell well. Slippies are popular now. Good size. Useful.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:24 am
Roadie handle, pretty much Roadie blade (still has enough point), pocket clip, and lanyard hole.
First has regular choil. Second is more blade, adjusted handle. I like the second one better.

I would actually love this knife. Didn’t think I would. Good recommendation on the Roadie handle instead, Doc. Same size as a Benchmade Proper, but better and lighter. Still fits fine in a pocket bottom, if so desired. I think it would sell well. Slippies are popular now. Good size. Useful.

I love it. With a 2.75 inch blade and 0.078” thick blade stock this would be the best pocket knife on the market. The Roadie handle allows for on hand opening.

I can live with 2.8mm thickness as you suggest if it is thin behind the edge.

Now, to see what Sal thinks of our collaboration.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:14 am
I love it. With a 2.75 inch blade and 0.078” thick blade stock this would be the best pocket knife on the market. The Roadie handle allows for on hand opening.

I can live with 2.8mm thickness as you suggest if it is thin behind the edge.

Now, to see what Sal thinks of our collaboration.

Or 2.5 mm thickness, as long as the dimples can be made on thinner stock? I also wonder what Sal and Eric think.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I hope Sal chimes in.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Doc,

I'm watching the thread. Interesting. I guess I'm having difficulty seeing the advantage of new tooling to pick up an additional 3/8" in blade length and a clip? Shortening the Ricasso increases the chance of accidental cutting. In order to fit the double dent in a Warncliffe, the blade would have to be much wider/taller.

I never say "Never", but still not convinced there is a market for a slightly larger version? I'll keep watching.

sal
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:30 am
Hi Doc,

I'm watching the thread. Interesting. I guess I'm having difficulty seeing the advantage of new tooling to pick up an additional 3/8" in blade length and a clip? Shortening the Ricasso increases the chance of accidental cutting. In order to fit the double dent in a Warncliffe, the blade would have to be much wider/taller.

I never say "Never", but still not convinced there is a market for a slightly larger version? I'll keep watching.

sal

I think the market's there, since slipjoints are very popular right now, and as I said, it's Benchmade Proper size, which is quite popular. It's enough more blade to efficiently cut up an apple, for example. And the clip, well, I think you know how great that is. ;) I'd say to heck with a wharnie on this one - your design is plenty useful. As for the choil, I don't know, maybe a bit more for safety? I know I'd really like a nice sized two hander that actually opens easy.
- best wishes, Jazz.
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Could this Sheepsfoot/Wharncliffe blade profile be working into an existing handle platform (specifically thinking of the UKPK) in order to avoid the costs of new tooling and molds for the handle? I love the Roadie and would be all about a larger version myself though I am in agreement with Jazz that a thinner blade stock and wire clip would be nice additions.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.