Sal—design for Roadie 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jazz

Re: Sal—design for Roadie 2

Post by Jazz »

:D :cool:
- best wishes, Jazz.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

MichaelScott wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:55 am

This, the Great Eastern Cutlery Easy Pocket Congress, is very similar to some of the proposed designs. It also has a pen blade.
That’s an awesome design, GEC 93 is still my favorite! I hope we see hear something from Spyderco soon!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

MichaelScott wrote:

This, the Great Eastern Cutlery Easy Pocket Congress, is very similar to some of the proposed designs. It also has a pen blade.
I love that knife, if I was into slip joints that would be my first purchase!

Hard choice between that 1 and the 1 with 2 smaller blades on the other end
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:35 am
Hi Doc,

Just got the first drawing. (Roadie XL) It's in the 2.7" blade range. Next is an in-house prototype.

sal
That is wonderful news. I wish I could see the drawing but being so far away I can’t just drive over there. Still, this is exciting and 2.7 is right in my sweet spot.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:38 pm
MichaelScott wrote:

I love that knife, if I was into slip joints that would be my first purchase!

Hard choice between that 1 and the 1 with 2 smaller blades on the other end
That classic swayback lambsfoot, is my favorite traditional knife. Fruit peeler, extraordinaire!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

That would be a killer blade style on a Spyderco Roadie.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Yep. I have that one and it is a super useful slip joint
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
sal

Post by sal »

So I have a drawing for a Roadie 2 - blade-2.75". The 1/2" blade addition is really a larger knife than I thought it would be. So I'd like to continue the discussion. Partly to hone in what would work best and how many actually participate in the discussion.

Are you thinking that the knife should be taller? Blade wider? Whole knife larger or just longer and narrower? Need more input?

sal
Sildani

Post by Sildani »

Allow me to ask a different question please: for this larger knife, would a pocket clip be out of the question, or do the majority still want this to ride inside a pocket?
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

MichaelScott wrote:

the Great Eastern Cutlery Easy Pocket Congress.
if your still taking ideas i would like this in 2.5" a little taller blade and divots for opening. i am ok with a clip as i use one but others may not. i have no use for a lanyard hole do not need it in any of my knives. can we get the blade steel like spy27 or vg10 or bd1n or n690co.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:51 pm
So I have a drawing for a Roadie 2 - blade-2.75". The 1/2" blade addition is really a larger knife than I thought it would be. So I'd like to continue the discussion. Partly to hone in what would work best and how many actually participate in the discussion.

Are you thinking that the knife should be taller? Blade wider? Whole knife larger or just longer and narrower? Need more input?

sal
That is a bit larger than I originally envisioned but not too long by any means. So good there.
I would only want it tall enough to pinch the divots and no taller. Slim and trim like the original is what I’m after.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

sal wrote:

sal
I like the basic concept of the Roadie. I just bought another one for myself and have given a half dozen or more away as gifts.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I wouldn't want it too narrow, as in, not just longer and narrower. If its wider, it will cut better, and be a tad easier to hold on to. I'd like a decent sized two hander, that's still not too long to drop in the pocket bottom when desired (around non knife people). It could be a bit shorter than 2.75", and still be a workhorse.
- best wishes, Jazz.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:47 pm
sal wrote:

sal
That is a bit larger than I originally envisioned but not too long by any means. So good there.
I would only want it tall enough to pinch the divots and no taller. Slim and trim like the original is what I’m after.
^^^Yes!

I think just scaled up, making it longer and a bit taller at the same time, would be great. I’m up for a revised blade shape/grind but I just don’t want to lose the divots. I also don’t care for a clip on this knife, just give us a great steel and/or scales! Thanks Sal
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
sal

Post by sal »

The design I have has a tip up L/R wire clip. It's also more "pointy".

I think I'll try a 2.6" blade.

sal
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:32 am
The design I have has a tip up L/R wire clip. It's also more "pointy".

I think I'll try a 2.6" blade.

sal
yes. i am back onboard. with a clip cool extra. do you have an idea of what kind of steel or scales will be used.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Sounds cool, Sal. Please keep the clip.
- best wishes, Jazz.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

sal wrote:

sal
I’m interested, but I need to put my Roadie to more use so I can properly address what I’d want to see in a larger model. I’m already in favor of a slightly more acute tip.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I do not like the clip on a small knife, but I can always take it off.

I like the Roadie design. I just bought another one and it came Friday.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Sal,
can I ask why go 2.6 when a nod to the legality of 2.5 blades would harken to the design of the original being a blade that is within the rules. still larger than the original but only slightly. I just discovered this thread and really appreciate how the roadie looks so innocent. the size and shape are not threatening and that is one reason I really like it.
Last edited by odomandr on Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski