Micro Serrations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Re: Micro Serrations

Post by Bill1170 »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:53 pm
Still searching for my scope.

When I first got the scope, I took an old razor, sharpening it to 2000 grit, and then a light stropping with leather and Dialux blue.
Looked at a few places along the edge at 250x, I could see a faint scratch pattern, I think?

I shaved with it, stropped it, and then cut 1/2 inch hemp cord/rope, just once, ricasso to tip.

I looked at the edge again, and there where little chunks missing, about 20 in about 3mm.

With a slicing motion, the edge tore typing paper, but would slice a tomato cleanly enough.

So, looks like carbides or such-like were being knocked out by the abuse?

Thereby "creating" teeth? Micro serrations?

What thinkest thou?
Probably not torn-out carbides on a shaving razor. Razors are usually made from fine grained steel in order to achieve a very refined edge with decent lateral stability at acute bevel angles. My guess is that the hemp rope challenged the edge past its strength limits. The relevant question is, how well does it shave your face?
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

I was not confident to shave with it then, and re=sharpened it...which took a while as I stayed with the 2000 grit.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

"Coated" = Galvanic bonding, single layer of abrasive like what is found in DMT, Atoma, and spyderco rods.

The term "Bonding" is used to distinguish Vitrified, Metallic and Resin bonded diamond and CBN stones from "coated" ones.

They don't cut the same and need a distinction.
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:35 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:26 am
There is talk from Spyderco about a galvanic bonded "COATED" CBN benchstone that should be interesting for those that want to play with "microserrated" edges

Much like the DMT stone, the abrasive grains are more exposed allowing them to cut deeper into the bevel and make a more aggressive finish.

They'll have to be used with a lighter touch to keep the grains from tearing out of the bond and it's just a single layer of abrasive but it should be interesting for us edge junkies to play with more CBN in that format.
What's the bonding type on the current cbn rods?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

There are flat earthers, why not flat edgers?
In the end, it is only about ignoring the scientific evidences.

By the way, nothing is straight, as the atoms that build up matter are everything but straight :D
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

tonijedi wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:57 am
There are flat earthers, why not flat edgers?
In the end, it is only about ignoring the scientific evidences.

By the way, nothing is straight, as the atoms that build up matter are everything but straight :D

Right... the whole planet is more or less "serrated", from a macro-, micro- and each possible in-between view... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)