The best pocket knife ever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: The best pocket knife ever

Post by Wartstein »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:54 am
That's what I was thinking but the blade would look just like a PM2 and wouldn't be as honest to the original design from Alistar. Just wish it looked as great as the PM2 does closed. They just need to make the PM2 with contoured handles already and thin out the blade stock make a knife afi version, I think Sal's mentioned it in the past.

I also separately wanted to, back on topic, say that I do need to try the chappy so I can compare it to the urban and ukpk.

I wish we could get a UKPK in K390 and get Sal to budge on the chappy being only in xhp. A chappy with K390, I'll pay you for it right now! lol Not that there's anything wrong with xhp, I just have been on a K390 kick lately. I've been watching the forums for a cheap chappy. I also think a sage in different steel would be amazing too.

I gotta say Urban vs UKPK, unless you have a blade limit, I like the UKPK much better. Longer blade and it's even lighter weight. 1.5 oz is insane. This is why the slipjoint is better for a small knife.

Thanks, I see!

/ Luckily I don´t have any knife related limits at all where I live, and that might be the reason why I vastly prefer locking folders and generally larger ones (Endura size). Just because I CAN (and mostly DO) carry them and so am so very much used to doing most task with such larger locking folders (even such where a smaller one would be just as good or maybe even more handy)

/ Right, you gotta try a Chap ;) Regardless if you actually will like/keep it or not in the end, the rather uniquely (even for Spyderco) thin ffg blade is something that has to be experienced imho.
Also the lock: Again, in practical use maybe you will not even like it too much if you don´t NEED a lock on such a small folder, but technically it is just fascinating for any "knife nerd" I think. Exceptionally well constructed with its internal stop pins and the perfectly solid lockup.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

BEST. SPYDERCO. SLIPPIE. EVER.

Resized_20190422_142913.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:51 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 am

The Urban Light Weight, in this case K390, is the best overall pocket knife ever......
Doc, as you probably know my favorite SMALL pocket knife is the Chaparral FRN, almost the same size as the Urban

Now I give a lot on your opinion and knowlegde, and I know that you own both Chap and Urban (while I myself never even just handled the latter).

Your love of the Urban really makes me want to try one, would you mind to elaborate what makes you personally take it over the Chap (which you also like as far as I am aware of)?

Just from the pics and specs:
They both have about the same amount of cutting edge, same clip and clip placement, the Chap should offer a tad more grip area and a significantly thinner blade. That should make it a better slicer, but then I seem to remember that the Urban is still thinner behind the edge?!
On the flip side the Urban is maybe a bit thicker and more handfilling (is it?) and it certainly will be more comfortable to put the finger on the (thicker) spine when cutting.

Yes, and of course the Chap has a lock... and a perfectly executed at that. But that is probably just a minor advantage on folders you probably always use with one finger in the choil anyway?
The Urban is a little thinner behind the edge but I’d hate to have to choose between them as I really appreciate the Chaparral too. Since I don’t use the clip, but drop the knife in my pocket without the clip, I find the Urban rides better there, just a little. It feels better to the hand when handling it in the pocket. Also, it has no lock that some find threatening. It is easier to pull out, use, and put away.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:24 am
Thanks, I see!

/ Luckily I don´t have any knife related limits at all where I live, and that might be the reason why I vastly prefer locking folders and generally larger ones (Endura size). Just because I CAN (and mostly DO) carry them and so am so very much used to doing most task with such larger locking folders (even such where a smaller one would be just as good or maybe even more handy)

/ Right, you gotta try a Chap ;) Regardless if you actually will like/keep it or not in the end, the rather uniquely (even for Spyderco) thin ffg blade is something that has to be experienced imho.
Also the lock: Again, in practical use maybe you will not even like it too much if you don´t NEED a lock on such a small folder, but technically it is just fascinating for any "knife nerd" I think. Exceptionally well constructed with its internal stop pins and the perfectly solid lockup.
I guess I should have said I usually carry the G10 police. When I pickup a medium folder it feels tiny now lol I usually carry the UKPK as a second knife if I'm in a situation where a smaller blade is more pc friendly or say stripping a wire lol BD1N blew me away at that actually and suffered no damage. I'm sure the K390 can take it, and actually lately have been only carrying that but for a while when trying the UKPK this is what I did. Though BD1N is way easier to sharpen if it were damaged.

I always thought the UKPK was kinda dumb. Why not get a caly same thing with a lock right? Then I got an urban and the slipjoint surprisingly didn't bother me at all like I thought it would. I even gave my friend an Urban K390 I was so sure he'd love it, and he did and it kicked the Kershaw from his pocket. But then I got a UKPK and totally got it. The lightweight yet capable pc friendly blade is all you probably really need, but I am a fan of overkill. My friend does not get it and will only carry 3" or smaller folders. I got him a chappy raffir at the seconds sale. I was blown away by the thin stock and scales, I do really lust after one but the Sage calls me more. I'd love to get the LW version of each and try them out but with everything new coming out it's been difficult lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

If you made me keep only one knife it would be my S90V bright orange Native from the Cutlery Shoppe. It's what I choose when I don't know what to choose.
/ David
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am
The Urban is a little thinner behind the edge but I’d hate to have to choose between them as I really appreciate the Chaparral too. Since I don’t use the clip, but drop the knife in my pocket without the clip, I find the Urban rides better there, just a little. It feels better to the hand when handling it in the pocket. Also, it has no lock that some find threatening. It is easier to pull out, use, and put away.
Hey Doc, here's a question for you.

If you were to say open a package, could you pull out the knife, use it, and close it all with one hand? I'm envisioning being able to use the Spydiehole to close as well as to open. This would make so much sense for an office knife.

I haven't had a chance to handle one of the slip joint spydies yet.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My PM2!! I love it👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

EASY!!!! Delica 4 FRN any color any steel. The "GOAT"!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

Until Spyderco makes a Sage 2 with a Vanax blade, or a Sage 5 with an integral Ti comp lock, then the Sage 2 S30V and "The Drift" from Quiet Carry are tied as the best pocket knife ever made.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:40 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:36 am
Hey Doc, here's a question for you.

If you were to say open a package, could you pull out the knife, use it, and close it all with one hand? I'm envisioning being able to use the Spydiehole to close as well as to open. This would make so much sense for an office knife.

I haven't had a chance to handle one of the slip joint spydies yet.
I can easily pull out the knife, open it with one hand, and close it with one hand, very quickly and efficiently, usually without people realizing what I have done.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 pm
I can easily pull out the knife, open it with one hand, and close it with one hand, very quickly and efficiently, usually without people realizing what I have done.
Yup, ok this one's on the list. Have you tried the AEB-L? And also, what's the "issue with Mangiano" ?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Wish I would have scored one of the K390's. The AEB-L is good. The 2 issues I had with it was a sharp bit of edge on the spydie hole that wasn't sanded enough at the factory. And a tip that stuck up beyond the handle when closed. Both gave me small cuts. Both were fixed with one of my sharpmaker stones.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:42 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:22 pm
Yup, ok this one's on the list. Have you tried the AEB-L? And also, what's the "issue with Mangiano" ?
The AEB-L or Coyote Tan Urban had fit and or finish issues across the board. Mine was a little off, but not too bad. Suddenly, the blade has increasingly become difficult to open and the pivot cannot be loosened as it just turns. The regular Urban and the K390 are okay.

My Pingo is perfect, as are the 6 or more Roadies I have bought, one for me, others as gifts. However, my Squeak had the common problem of too a weak back spring, but otherwise ok.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I don't know that I call it the best ever...but it's definitely one of my favorites. One of only 2 knives I own 2 of in the same configuration.

For those that haven't tried a Spyderco Slipit they're in a different world than a regular slip joint knife. The Spydie hole on a slippie is a game changer.

As has been mentioned the K390 version has better fit and finish than the AEB-L version and it's crazy thin BTE making it slicier than my much loved and slicey Chap. I wish more knives would come ground as thin BTE as the K390 Urban.

-Turbo
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I originally got an urban because it was cheap on eBay, compliant to the whole NYC gravity law thing before it was changed, and short closed - it's a nice little nugget with a great handle and blade shape

Haven't needed to adjust my pivot, so mine hasn't worn through the pivot hold yet

Also, me personally, I wouldn't brag about ignoring/breaking laws and carrying your guns at places where you shouldn't
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 am
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree, I prefer the Baby Horn as a pocket knife. The only advantage a slippie has, is legality in some places.

I don't pay attention to knife laws to begin with, so legality is a moot point for me. Same with guns, I carry one regardless of location or restrictions and everyone around me is safer for it.
(12vs6 rule)

Really though, the only slippies I'm interested in are a UKPK Salt(G10) and the PITS. I have had two of the latter, but they always seem to find a way out.
I find it interesting that you'd broadcast the fact that you carry everywhere regardless of state or federal law. I'm not saying I disagree with you or anything, just find it interesting that you talk so openly about it. What is that "12vs6" thing you mentioned? You've peaked my interest haha
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Knivesinedc wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:42 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:55 am
Eh, we'll have to agree to disagree, I prefer the Baby Horn as a pocket knife. The only advantage a slippie has, is legality in some places.

I don't pay attention to knife laws to begin with, so legality is a moot point for me. Same with guns, I carry one regardless of location or restrictions and everyone around me is safer for it.
(12vs6 rule)

Really though, the only slippies I'm interested in are a UKPK Salt(G10) and the PITS. I have had two of the latter, but they always seem to find a way out.
I find it interesting that you'd broadcast the fact that you carry everywhere regardless of state or federal law. I'm not saying I disagree with you or anything, just find it interesting that you talk so openly about it. What is that "12vs6" thing you mentioned? You've peaked my interest haha
Eh, I'm not worried about it. I just go about my day, hiding in plain sight. You'd never look twice at me. I am just an honest citizen, who will protect himself and his family, regardless of permission. As for knives, I've never had an issue in any state. However, the truck full of tools I was traveling in probably added validity to my "tool" claim.

12vs6, as in I'll take a trial over a funeral, anyday.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I don’t love it most, but the PM2 is what I have most of.

I think the PM2 has the greatest utility and richest feature-set of any knife I’ve ever used, and few others offer such a delicious range of steels to throw at a task.

I also like that Sal’s and Eric’s maker’s marks on the blade.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Doc Dan wrote:

The Urban Light Weight, in this case K390, is the best overall pocket knife ever. It carries light and easy. It is easy to live with and use everyday. It can be opened with one hand. It has superb steel. It slices like a surgical laser. What more could be asked?

I hope we see more Urban versions, but I also hope they fix the issues that cropped up last time.

Hey Doc, why don't we push for a CQI Urban ?! Maybe Sal is willing to solve that pivot issue ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:

The Urban Light Weight, in this case K390, is the best overall pocket knife ever. It carries light and easy. It is easy to live with and use everyday. It can be opened with one hand. It has superb steel. It slices like a surgical laser. What more could be asked?

I hope we see more Urban versions, but I also hope they fix the issues that cropped up last time.

Hey Doc, why don't we push for a CQI Urban ?! Maybe Sal is willing to solve that pivot issue ?
Good idea. If they fix the issue then on with more models. They also need to do something about the lack of QC coming out of that plant.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050