The best pocket knife ever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
40mm

Re: The best pocket knife ever

Post by 40mm »

I've not handled an Urban but from my experience the Dragonfly is the best pocket knife ever. If the ladybug and manbug had wire clips, they may do battle with the Dragonfly, but I like to have the option of clipping when needed. I also agree that when I think pocket knife, I think of a smaller knife that can be carried unnoticed in the pocket. So bigger than the Dragonfly becomes a clipped only type of knife to me. Serrated H1 Dragonfly is my everyday companion.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

40mm wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am
I've not handled an Urban but from my experience the Dragonfly is the best pocket knife ever. If the ladybug and manbug had wire clips, they may do battle with the Dragonfly, but I like to have the option of clipping when needed. I also agree that when I think pocket knife, I think of a smaller knife that can be carried unnoticed in the pocket. So bigger than the Dragonfly becomes a clipped only type of knife to me. Serrated H1 Dragonfly is my everyday companion.
I love the Dragonfly also. I think the key advantage to the Urban, which is similarly-sized, is that it's a slip joint: one less step to take when closing your knife to put it away.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

40mm wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:41 am
I agree with you that the Dragonfly is a great knife. I have 8 or 9 of them. The Urban just carries and feels better to me and has a longer blade in a package close to the same size. It does not lock, which some find important.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog »

Nate wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:30 am
Tough crowd, but the Urban is definitely up there for me. Have 3 of them.

The Maniago f&f issues may be a touch overblown. The spinning pivot can happen with the frn UKPK. I've had excessive loctite on knives from several factories. Grit/gunk in the pivot impeding normal function can be from manufacturing debris or from normal carry/use.

My main gripe is that the tip of my AEB-L Urban does sit unusually high compared to my other examples. Based on other complaints it seems to be widespread if not typical of the whole run. Should be a fairly easy fix, but it makes me want to buy multiple for gifts, etc as I originally intended.
In regards to the above reference to the “spinning pivot”
And the earlier reference to a “self destructing pivot” by a different poster (not sure which model that was in reference to).... can someone explain in laymen’s terms what these remarks are in regards to? Are people talking about when they try to disassemble and frn gives way allowing the pivot to free spin? Or something else?

Thanks-
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

I have Dragonflies that spin. It’s just the D thing stripping. Doc’s was getting gritty and tight, though. I think it’s the lock surface breaking down. A slot needs to be ground in the pivot screw back, so a flat driver can hold it still, and find out.

Or did you already figure it out, Doc? I can’t remember.
- best wishes, Jazz.
alnico357

Post by alnico357 »

[quote...how often do people actually encounter the police, or are in situations where the police will see a pocket clip?[/quote]

If I lived in an area where knives were this big a deal I would.......not use the clip. I would put the knife down inside my pocket completely out of view. I do it anyway. I've lost two knives while hiking. The clip didn't hold the knife.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Jazz wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:16 pm
I have Dragonflies that spin. It’s just the D thing stripping. Doc’s was getting gritty and tight, though. I think it’s the lock surface breaking down. A slot needs to be ground in the pivot screw back, so a flat driver can hold it still, and find out.

Or did you already figure it out, Doc? I can’t remember.
I haven't bothered yet. Too many other projects. I am thinking of sending it off for some new scales and let someone else worry about it. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Nate

Post by Nate »

Shaggy Dog wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm

And the earlier reference to a “self destructing pivot” by a different poster (not sure which model that was in reference to).... can someone explain in laymen’s terms what these remarks are in regards to? Are people talking about when they try to disassemble and frn gives way allowing the pivot to free spin? Or something else?

Thanks-

Yes, exactly. Here is a pic of one of my UKPKs that shows how the pivot barrel has a flat on it to prevent it from spinning when the screw is inserted and tightened on the other side. The frn molds also have this flat in them to match the barrel.

Once the screw is loctited in there, too much torque can strip out the flat in the frn and you no longer have any purchase to loosen the screw.

Fortunately I've never had this happen even though I've disassembled many UKPKs for scale/blade swaps. Haven't had a reason to take apart an Urban yet, but I'll proceed with caution and probably heat the screw with my soldering iron first if I do.
:spyder:
Shaggy Dog

Post by Shaggy Dog »

Nate wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:41 am
Shaggy Dog wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Thanks-

Yes, exactly. Here is a pic of one of my UKPKs that shows how the pivot barrel has a flat on it to prevent it from spinning when the screw is inserted and tightened on the other side. The frn molds also have this flat in them to match the barrel.

Once the screw is loctited in there, too much torque can strip out the flat in the frn and you no longer have any purchase to loosen the screw.

Fortunately I've never had this happen even though I've disassembled many UKPKs for scale/blade swaps. Haven't had a reason to take apart an Urban yet, but I'll proceed with caution and probably heat the screw with my soldering iron first if I do.
Thanks! I appreciate the response-
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Ergonomically, I found the Rhino excels over other similarly sized knives. I just can’t get comfortable with the blade shape. My sole Spyderco is a basic DLC Para 3. It is a lovely knife for me. Everything works: ergonomics, accommodates various grips easily, compression lock, perfect blade size and steel liners for substance and strength.

For a somewhat smaller knife I only seriously consider the carbon fiber/G10 Chaparral or the Sage 5. Which of the three is the “best pocket knife ever”? I think the answer turns on one’s use requirements.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation