The best pocket knife ever

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
p_atrick

Re: The best pocket knife ever

Post by p_atrick »

I can't carry anything over 2.5 inches, so I got the Urban in AEB-L before moving to the Boston area. I'm bummed that I can't carry my beloved Sage 2 or the P4 LW. That said, I haven't felt the need to buy another small knife.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

p_atrick wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:51 pm
I can't carry anything over 2.5 inches, so I got the Urban in AEB-L before moving to the Boston area. I'm bummed that I can't carry my beloved Sage 2 or the P4 LW. That said, I haven't felt the need to buy another small knife.
I always wonder about these knife laws...how often do people actually encounter the police, or are in situations where the police will see a pocket clip? I could be ignorant, but I never think twice about any knife I carry, and I live in NY (not NYC)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:31 pm
p_atrick wrote:
I always wonder about these knife laws...how often do people actually encounter the police, or are in situations where the police will see a pocket clip? I could be ignorant, but I never think twice about any knife I carry, and I live in NY (not NYC)
Walking around as a law abiding citizen*, I would think the chances of an encounter with police because of the knife in your pocket are slim to none. If for some reason you were searched and the officer found a knife bigger than 2.5", I honestly think it would come down to the situation and discretion of the officer. Personally, I carry knives over that limit regularly now.

Without getting into too many details, a couple of roommates and myself were out one night in college, in the wrong place at the wrong time, we were searched and my roommate had a Benchmade on him that was over the 2.5" limit. The the officer just took it. :D Didn't even get in trouble, just told us to go home.

On topic - I agree with Spydergirl! The Lil Native really fits into that best ever category for me very well. :cool:
-Nick :bug-red
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
The Urban is more than adequate for using a knife when I am at the office. I haven't felt like it was lacking. I've never encountered the police. I could probably get away with carrying my Sage, but it is an easy problem to avoid.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:23 am
that’s funny... it doesn’t look like a manix 2. :D

i’m glad you’ve found what works for you. i love all of my knives, but i wish i had a lil native for work like the one spydergirl carries.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:56 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
that’s funny... it doesn’t look like a manix 2. :D

i’m glad you’ve found what works for you. i love all of my knives, but i wish i had a lil native for work like the one spydergirl carries.
Hahaha! Well, it’s no Manix, which I love, but for an actual slip joint pocket knife with just the right blade length and overall size it is dandy.

I like my Lil Tank, I mean Lil Native, but it is not a slipjoint and is not nearly as good a slicer.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I've not handled the Urban yet, but I was considering the UKPK for a while. Apart from steel choices and origins of manufacturing, I don't see much difference between them and will likely try out the UKPK in the future... especially if it's given the Salt treatment. :eek:

Bloke wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:33 pm
Best and handiest small pocket knife on earth, the universe and maybe even the cosmos ... Ladybug SE, HB. ;) :)
Your fondness of that knife is contagious :)
Mine has become my constant companion, regardless of whatever else I'm carrying.

Spydergirl88 wrote: Here's my pick
Spydergirl, I'll never get tired of seeing that Lil' Native. :)
brj

Post by brj »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:53 am
The greatest pocketknife ever is the Maxamet Military. Sadly it hasn’t been made yet. :)
^ this
Gamecock

Post by Gamecock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
p_atrick wrote:
It’s almost never the primary offense, just an add on. Carry what you like to carry (in the U.S.).
roxiescarf

Post by roxiescarf »

Totally agree best pocket knife you can handle without worrying about breaking any law.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am with you Doc but... it deserves to be moved to Taichung not to Golden. One of the best attributes of this baby is its thinness behind the edge. Golden has the tendency to grind the blades quite thick bte.... it's a mistery to me why ?! The same with Seki made spydies... my Delicas are > 0.025 bte
Here is my precious... it's 0.015 bte.I love it :spyder:

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It does seem quite good. It wouldn't be my top pic for the only pocket knife I'd own but I'm thinking I do need one.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JustinB

Post by JustinB »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:24 am
I am with you Doc but... it deserves to be moved to Taichung not to Golden. One of the best attributes of this baby is its thinness behind the edge. Golden has the tendency to grind the blades quite thick bte.... it's a mistery to me why ?! The same with Seki made spydies... my Delicas are > 0.025 bte
Here is my precious... it's 0.015 bte.I love it :spyder:

taichung would be a great OEM move for the Urban!
Justin :spyder:
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I love my urban. Might love my UKPK a little more. Would love both of them even more without the d pivot screw nonsense and less blade play. My all time favorite right now would be the Kapara it's basically an updated upgraded pm2 in my eyes. Only thing that the Kapara could do better is for me the looks of it closed, not the best looking
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
elena86

Post by elena86 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:05 am
I love my urban. Might love my UKPK a little more. Would love both of them even more without the d pivot screw nonsense and less blade play. My all time favorite right now would be the Kapara it's basically an updated upgraded pm2 in my eyes. Only thing that the Kapara could do better is for me the looks of it closed, not the best looking

Wise words all the way ! I would kill for a slightly shorter Kapara with a better grip :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:05 am

Don´t want to turn this into a Kapara-thread, so just quickly:

I had a Kapara and it was exceptional in most aspects (still had to sell it cause I needed the money at the time). But the thing I personally would "cqi" or improve is: Make the comp.lock tab a bit better accessible if possible.

/ Just out of interest: What do you not like ab out the looks of it when closed? And is it something that technically COULD be changed without altering the overall design too much?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 am
Just out of interest: What do you not like ab out the looks of it when closed? And is it something that technically COULD be changed without altering the overall design too much?
Just seems like a knife drawn and designed opened. When closed we get what we get. They fixed the Paramilitary and gave us the PM2 so maybe they could fix it. Looks like a pelican or tucan closed. Just not a big fan. Looks amazing opened though... I still love it but it's the only flaw I see
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:

The Urban Light Weight, in this case K390, is the best overall pocket knife ever......
Doc, as you probably know my favorite SMALL pocket knife is the Chaparral FRN, almost the same size as the Urban

Now I give a lot on your opinion and knowlegde, and I know that you own both Chap and Urban (while I myself never even just handled the latter).

Your love of the Urban really makes me want to try one, would you mind to elaborate what makes you personally take it over the Chap (which you also like as far as I am aware of)?

Just from the pics and specs:
They both have about the same amount of cutting edge, same clip and clip placement, the Chap should offer a tad more grip area and a significantly thinner blade. That should make it a better slicer, but then I seem to remember that the Urban is still thinner behind the edge?!
On the flip side the Urban is maybe a bit thicker and more handfilling (is it?) and it certainly will be more comfortable to put the finger on the (thicker) spine when cutting.

Yes, and of course the Chap has a lock... and a perfectly executed at that. But that is probably just a minor advantage on folders you probably always use with one finger in the choil anyway?
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

koenigsegg wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:41 am
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:37 am
Just out of interest: What do you not like ab out the looks of it when closed? And is it something that technically COULD be changed without altering the overall design too much?
Just seems like a knife drawn and designed opened. When closed we get what we get. They fixed the Paramilitary and gave us the PM2 so maybe they could fix it. Looks like a pelican or tucan closed. Just not a big fan. Looks amazing opened though... I still love it but it's the only flaw I see
Thanks! I guess I see what you mean. It does not bother me personally, but would the closed look in your opinion be better if they straightend the spine a bit (like "regular" Stretch vs straight spine Stretch)?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:54 am
Thanks! I guess I see what you mean. It does not bother me personally, but would the closed look in your opinion be better if they straightend the spine a bit (like "regular" Stretch vs straight spine Stretch)?
That's what I was thinking but the blade would look just like a PM2 and wouldn't be as honest to the original design from Alistar. Just wish it looked as great as the PM2 does closed. They just need to make the PM2 with contoured handles already and thin out the blade stock make a knife afi version, I think Sal's mentioned it in the past.

I also separately wanted to, back on topic, say that I do need to try the chappy so I can compare it to the urban and ukpk.

I wish we could get a UKPK in K390 and get Sal to budge on the chappy being only in xhp. A chappy with K390, I'll pay you for it right now! lol Not that there's anything wrong with xhp, I just have been on a K390 kick lately. I've been watching the forums for a cheap chappy. I also think a sage in different steel would be amazing too.

I gotta say Urban vs UKPK, unless you have a blade limit, I like the UKPK much better. Longer blade and it's even lighter weight. 1.5 oz is insane. This is why the slipjoint is better for a small knife.