Spyderco model ID

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Seadoggystyle

Spyderco model ID

Post by Seadoggystyle »

Greetings,

I'm getting old and I can't remember the name of this knife I bought about 20 years ago. Wanted to ask for your help. Thanks! []
Attachments
57266.jpeg
SG89

Re: Spyderco model ID

Post by SG89 »

Hunter?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I am pretty sure Paul/ the Deacon will have a precise answer... :rolleyes:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Seadoggystyle,

Welcome to our forum.

Looks like an old "Pro-Venator".

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

I can't confirm what Sal said, as I see a blade made from VG-10; this is a minor difference but therefore the name should be "Pro-Grip".
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Peter,

there was a lot of name changing back then. It was originally the "Pro-Hunter", but that name was being used by another company. I don't remember which came first, the "Pro-Venature" (which means Pro Hunter) or the Pro Grip. I'll ask Susan, Maybe she remembers?

sal
Burton Knut

Post by Burton Knut »

137D8146-06DB-4AA1-8E95-04C009EA7EC4.jpeg
I have one very similar, but more serrations and AUS-8. It’s one of my two Spydies to be retired (for sentimental reasons of course, as they’re both still fully functional.)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:04 pm
Hi Peter,

there was a lot of name changing back then.
If my memory serves me still well Pro-Hunter was the first name, followed by Pro-Venature and ended with Pro-Grip. From all the different models Spyderco produced over the years the SKU C13 / C33 is one of the multi variants in its production time, it needed some days and nights for me to collect all the different information (blade steel, how many serrations) and sporadic it was frustrating. :D

Spyderco's company motto
sal

Post by sal »

Hi seadoggy,

Did some research with Susan, The model you have is the Pro-Venator C13. We later made a lite weight version called the Pro-Grip - C33.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Seadoggystyle wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 am
Greetings,

I'm getting old and I can't remember the name of this knife I bought about 20 years ago. Wanted to ask for your help. Thanks! []
What a great knife. I hope you still use it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

sal wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:19 pm
Did some research with Susan, The model you have is the Pro-Venator C13. We later made a lite weight version called the Pro-Grip - C33.
Hi Sal,

In time of Coronavirus I have the time to go deeper ... :)

I am fortune enough to own Pro-Grips, the stainless steel model is exact the same knife as shown by Seadoggystyle, but mine is in NIB-condition and the lettering on the box says C13PS Pro Grip and AD as production time, which stands for January 2004.
To make the muddle complete (and for the records) my other specimen is a C33PSBK Pro-Grip with G-2 stainless blade and in the old small blue box, therefore - with highest plausibility - it should have been produced long before the other.
As far as I know Spyderco never used VG-10 for SS "Pro-Venators" and the time line for the renamings should be as follows: Pro-Hunter / Pro-Venator / Pro-Grip.
On Spydiewiki one can find a good article for C13/C33 which shows deeper information (e.g. different blade steels, different serrations ratios, ...) - as I said before it is a jungle.

Also I have no doubt in the expertise from you and Susan, but I would be happy if you could explain me why you think I'm wrong. :)

Spyderco's company motto
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Interesting. Why different model numbers?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am

Don't know the "why", although it might have made it easier for dealers to keep track of inventory so not sure why they eventually merged them either, but the Pro-Grip is not the only model where the FRN and SS versions originally had different SKU numbers. The FRN version of the C08 Harpy was originally called the C13 Merlin and the SS versions of the FRN C10 Endura and C11 Delica were orginally the C47 Endura II and C43 Delica II.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Paul,

Maybe we could commission you to come up with a chronological list? Jim Phillips is planning on a Spyderco book, but a list, maybe with pictures would certainly be a worthwhile addition? "Inquiring minds want to know".

Email me if you are interested?

sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:20 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:57 am

Don't know the "why", although it might have made it easier for dealers to keep track of inventory so not sure why they eventually merged them either, but the Pro-Grip is not the only model where the FRN and SS versions originally had different SKU numbers. The FRN version of the C08 Harpy was originally called the C13 Merlin and the SS versions of the FRN C10 Endura and C11 Delica were orginally the C47 Endura II and C43 Delica II.

Paul, I really admire your knowledge (and am glad that you share it on this forum and ion your homepage)

As said in my previous post I was 100% certain that you would be able to give answers here :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
rycen

Post by rycen »

Not that It needs confirmation but I agree with the information posted by Peter1960. We could add a little more confusion here by mentioning the Ironstone Hunter but I digress.
Qcrazy

Post by Qcrazy »

Pro Venator.jpg
I think I own too many knives. The more I think I know about Spyderco, the more I question what I think I know. I thought I'd throw out a bit of curiosity I've found on this model. I have a few of the old Venators, many NIB, all with the same bar code, one with a date of 03/99 with Gin-1Venator spelled correctly. The other two with Venator misspelled (Ventor) and no date on the box. One of the misspelled knives is in Gin-1 the other in ATS-55. I've come to enjoy the quirks that show up from a knife company that was growing quickly and using manufacturers far and wide to produce their knives. I'm finding I have plenty of time now that Colorado is on lock down! Stay healthy all!