Help me choose a Bug

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Help me choose a Bug

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve got the bug! Help me choose one!

I’ve never seen the ladybug or manbug in person. There are still some sprint steels available in one or the other, and some exciting sprint steels coming. As intrigued by K390 as I am, I’m concerned about sharpening. I’m well stocked & comfortable with Spyderco ceramics, and I do have cbn rods and the doublestuff2. But I really don’t want to dive down the diamonds-required rabbit hole.

So I’m thinking hap40, v-toku2, serrated H1, etc. There’s nothing wrong with plain ol’ vg10 either! Zdp189 is still out in the wild too, and I love the green.

Any love for the saber-ground LB over FFG? Why?

What say ye?
Evil D

Re: Help me choose a Bug

Post by Evil D »

Ladybug wise I prefer the ZDP version since it's FFG. A knife this small needs to slice. I'll probably get the K390 version. I haven't had a Manbug yet because I liked my Ladybug on my keys and I didn't like the extra thickness of the Manbug, I like to keep my keys slim. The SE Salt versions are crazy capable for such small knives but aren't as slicy. The Dragonfly Salt (I know not one you asked about) is among the best slicing hollow grinds that Spyderco has made so those get a pass for me. The Hawkbill Ladybugs are also hard cutters but are a bit thick for their size and don't slice as well. I think if you just maintain ZDP on brown rods you won't need diamonds unless you damage the edge.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Manbug fits my hand better but I prefer the pointier blade shape of the Ladybug.

The two little knives I actually carry are the Ladybug Hawbill and the Caplifter Clipitool. I like the Hawkbill because it makes the most of the little blade. I like the Clipitool because it has a screwdriver/pry tool built in. The Clipitool also fits the hand well because it is like a Manbug with a choil. It is holding up very well but it is a budget Chinese knife with 8cr13.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

There are small ergonomic differences between the ladybug and manbug. If you can get your hands on them, it might influence your decision. If it matters to you, some versions of the ladybug are ffg, I don't think there are hollow ground manbugs.

If you like wood scales the knife center exclusive Hap40/pakkawood ladybug is pretty sweet. It's ffg as well.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

K390 Ladybug should be out soon(hopefully)

I prefer the Ladybug/Jester over the Manbug.

Edit: The bad part is, I DID read his post... I blame mornings.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Nate

Post by Nate »

I've been looking at the Byrd Starling 2 the last couple of days. BD1, FFG, G10. Appears to use the Ladybug handle. Shame it's pinned otherwise the blade swap opportunities would be interesting. The Finch 2 is also still available and very inexpensive.

Currently the Salt HB and K390 Ladybugs are higher on my buy list though.

The difference in the Lady/Man handles is fairly subtle. I have a slight preference for the Man handle and the Lady blade shape (can't have my cake and eat it too, lol). So as much as I appreciate my Manbug Salt I'll probably lean toward Ladybugs on future purchases based on the current state.

Would like to see more Bug variations. With all the wharncliffe love lately, that could be interesting, or maybe a Manbug Jester? (Or any new Jester :D)
:spyder:
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Oh man... I just stumbled across the USN ladybug hawkbill salt in toxic green/black blade. There’s a PE version on the large body of water auction site right now... if it were SE I’d be all over it!

This is GoldenSpydie’s pic:
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I did a blade swap with the yellow Ladyhawk and the USN Ladyhawk. Like them both.

A small fob can fold out of the way and still allow a sort of four finger grip. Makes a world of difference to me.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:33 am
I did a blade swap with the yellow Ladyhawk and the USN Ladyhawk. Like them both.

Those look awesome. I'm not big on coated blades but they do look good with bright handles.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Love that USN LB!

I only have experience with my LB Salt HB SE in regards to the tiny Spyders, but it's definitely worth recommending.

This one now lives on my key lanyard around my neck. The pic was taken yesterday while fishing on the kayak.

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have big thick hands and I very slightly prefer the Manbug handle. The standard Manbug does more with its cutting edge. However, the Ladybug Salt Hawkbill is impressive.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

Although my hands fit the lady/man bug, I prefer the DF. I can't say much about sharpening because I haven't even had to touch ZDP. 3 weeks of abuse and it's still sharp.

H1 is beautiful for so many other reasons.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve got an orange DF2 and the AEB-L Urban. Not sure why I decided I “need” a bug.... but I do.

Love the black blade and yellow handle!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:09 am
I’ve got an orange DF2 and the AEB-L Urban. Not sure why I decided I “need” a bug.... but I do.

Love the black blade and yellow handle!

Have you considered an actual Bug? I keep thinking about getting a Honeybee or Grasshopper for my keys.
~David
Ric

Post by Ric »

Do not forget that the Honeybee or Grasshopper are not lightweight.
Full steel handles and also slipjoint.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 am
Have you considered an actual Bug? I keep thinking about getting a Honeybee or Grasshopper for my keys.
No, If I were going for a keychain knife I’d be looking at Victorinox. but I really hate bulky keychains and try to keep mine pretty trim. I’m also mainland China averse (as I type on my hecho en China iPhone :rolleyes: ) I’m really digging the tiny hawkbill. I’ve been outbid on the USN PE on the ‘bay. Still ruminating...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:57 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:11 am
No, If I were going for a keychain knife I’d be looking at Victorinox. but I really hate bulky keychains and try to keep mine pretty trim. I’m also mainland China averse (as I type on my hecho en China iPhone :rolleyes: ) I’m really digging the tiny hawkbill. I’ve been outbid on the USN PE on the ‘bay. Still ruminating...

The standard Salt version is a decent compromise. I think it was the second Spyderco I bought after joining the forum.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... Salt--8433
~David
Nate

Post by Nate »

Just caved and bought myself the standard Ladybug HB. (Imagine that USN one will fetch a healthy price at auction, more than I'm willing to pay anyway.)

Found a "see price in cart" deal on NewEgg for an extra 10% off with free shipping:

https://www.newegg.com/p/0BN-002K-001F2 ... 0P80F80877
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Despite a seemingly small difference, I find the Manbug to be a much more usable knife in my XL hands.
Nate

Post by Nate »

Made my first simple fob/lanyard the other day for my Jester. Agree it makes a world of difference.