Spyderco in use, review/feedback thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Re: Spyderco in use, review/feedback thread

Post by Albatross »

I broke down last Monday (forgot to update... :eek: ) and sharpened the Rex45 Shaman; cutting was becoming dangerous, and it didn't make sense to continue using the knife as it was. The edge still retained more sharpness than a lot of non-knife people's edges, but was slipping and requiring too much force to make safe and effective cuts.

The knife was only used for edc at home, so it wasn't used for everything, but the edge lasted 12 days, and I'm happy with that. I believe this is the first time I've kept track of exactly how long an edge lasted, and in specific environments especially.

I think I'd like to do this type of testing again, with a different steel, different model, more pictures, and a more thorough rundown of it's use. I do have other plans for more in-depth testing down the road, when I have more free time, but for now, the simple testing is satisfying some curiosities.

Might be fun to do a "how many fish can this clean", "how many deer can I process with this"(this would take a while, but sharing the knife with family to use on their deer as well, would speed it up) , "how many camping trips can this handle"(whittling, fire starting) , etc. I read about some of the different exotic steels Phil Wilson has used to make hunting knives, and the impressive amount of animals they could process. This is kind of an untapped area of discussion on the Spyderco forum, that I would eventually like to get into.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I can't wait for my Endela in K390 and hopefully the Maxamet PM2 blade from the seconds sale will be pretty flawless, so I can get back to doing some tests on those steels!! Didn't realize it's been this long!

Remember everybody, this thread is for everyone, anything you feel like contributing!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Finally back at it with some new steel to try! This is from last week, just now finally getting around to post about it (been under the weather for a few days, really draining me)

Last week I was carrying my seconds sale Maxamet PM2. The knife showed up pretty sharp, just gave it a little touch up to get to my peak sharpness before carrying it. This knife blazed through EVERYTHING last week and carried on through end of the week tests with no issues at all. I actually ended up cutting over 300ft of cardboard this time around (my coworker was talking to me as I was going through it and I lost track haha) Again, no problem with the internally braided hydraulic hose and not a single slip on the 50 rope cut slices. It then went on to cleanly cut paper as well. A couple snags in that picture are strictly from the tape/grime that was on the blade, not from the edge itself.

Now, granted I'm really not a fan of the PM2, as this gave my thumb the same nasty blister as the S30V model I did a while back...but, I bought this knife for a cheap opportunity at Maxamet. This steel certainly didn't disappoint! It's funny, mine is a seconds because of a slight warp in the blade and it definitely trailed off a couple times on the cardboard slices because of the warp haha. Not a problem with just regular cutting though.

It's impossible for me, preferring the high edge retention to not rank Maxamet at the top with Rex45 and 4V. Had this been on a Manix or Shaman...OH BABY!!! But, after a weeks worth of use and granted it's been a while since I've done this, I have a hard time ranking it as #1 on its own. That's not because of performance, but because of the typical price of a knife in Maxamet. Do I think if I were to carry and use it until completely dull, would it outlast Rex45 and 4V?? Sure, I believe it would. But, I never let my knives get completely dull and certainly wouldn't want to do so with this beast of a steel.

After a week of carry and nonstop use, I think I would still VALUE Rex45 or 4V more just because knives in those steels are quite a bit cheaper than a knife in Maxamet in MY opinion. I'm glad I got this knife though and look forward to continue using it and playing around with this steel!

Resized_20201221_170005.jpeg
Resized_20201221_170025_126041034374125.jpeg
Resized_20201221_170043_126086681316034.jpeg

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I think I'm hankering after a K390 Shaman....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Thanks for that, Rick! It doesn't look like you experienced any edge damage at all, which is what always concerned me about Maxamet (and the price). Did you find yourself in any situations where you thought you might chip the blade?

Edit: Also have you sharpened or touched it up at all yet? Just wondering how easy/difficult you find it.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:09 pm
Thanks for that, Rick! It doesn't look like you experienced any edge damage at all, which is what always concerned me about Maxamet (and the price). Did you find yourself in any situations where you thought you might chip the blade?

Edit: Also have you sharpened or touched it up at all yet? Just wondering how easy/difficult you find it.
I am pretty impressed, even after looking at it with my 10x loupe not to find a single chip or roll along the entire edge! I gave it a touch up using the brown rods after all was said and done. It took around 10 minutes maybe to get it back to the sharpness it was at before I started. So touchups don't appear to be anything daunting, though it did take a few more minutes to get there compared to Rex45 or 4V...but that's just nitpicking :p

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:02 pm
I think I'm hankering after a K390 Shaman....
Actually carrying the Endela in K390 this week, though I totally forgot it's a short work week so I'll have to extend it into next week for this thread. But yes, I agree...more Shaman's the better!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Guess I need a new knife/steel to keep this thread alive! Join in everybody!

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Ahhhh, a trip down memory lane. Need some new steels!!

Bump for anyone else that would like to contribute!

-Rick
z1r

Post by z1r »

I'll play, still super happy with the performance of my K390 Endela. Fist day I got it, I tested the edge on paper as a point of reference, then proceeded to cut up the carboard that my new 8"x12" shed was packaged in. Cut up, it filled a 96 gallon container. Afterward, the front half of the blade will cleanly slice paper while the rear half would still slice but there were a few sticky spots. About 6 passes per side, alternating, on the brown sharpmaker rods, and the entire blade was cleanly slicing through paper again. I love how long the blade remains sharp and perhaps more I love how easy it is to maintain that edge. About once a week I give about half a dozen passes per side on the white rods and it stays razor sharp.

I was at the SFO shortly before I picked up my Endela and foolishly decided to pass on a Maxamet M2. Still kicking myself about that but I did mange to find an open box K390 Endela and couldn't be happier that I now have a backup!
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Guys, what is the general consensus on Tenacious in S35VN?
I have a need for non-choil knife.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Pancake wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:43 am
Guys, what is the general consensus on Tenacious in S35VN?
I have a need for non-choil knife.
I absolutely love mine!

Absolute perfect fit and finish, fits my hand great, offers an Endura length cutting edge in a very compact package, very strong detent but still decent action, and the linerlock for me is the most convenient lock to use (especially with gloves) anyway.

Here is a thread that might be interesting for you viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89754#p1526028

And S35VN is very good too in my use.
While I did not experience that with my S35VN Native 5, the S35VN Tenacious seems to sharpen up a bit quicker than S30V
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm thinking of starting this over again, now that most of these knives I've used in this thread are now sharpened to 15-17dps. I'd also make the tests more controlled and equal. It's definitely a ton of work, but I miss it, especially on Fridays when I'd really get cutting!

-Rick
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:18 pm

I absolutely love mine!
Glad to hear that.
I watched some videos, and the S35VN from China seems to be good. But, I mean, Spyderco would not let something half-assed come out from factory.

Tenacious always interested me, because of that edge all the way to the handle. It is on my list.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

JMM wrote:
Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:00 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:56 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:11 pm
Quick wrap up for the week since I've got to leave work a little earlier than usual today. I cut up a bunch of rope that will be used as tarp tie downs here to cover some electrical equipment. Decided to chop into some more pallet wood on top of all the usual cutting for the week. The Crucarta Shaman performed well all week, no struggles in performance, which could be the model itself. The Shaman is A BAD KNIFE! :cool: To my surprise...Cruwear can't compare to 4V, not even on the same planet. I have gained a new found respect for 4V because of this.

As I said a couple days ago, the Cruwear seemed to dull and blunt on multiple spots in the blade earlier this week. It's tough to see, but in the second photo where the blade is propped in that sliver of wood...there are actually 3 tiny CHIPS in the blade! They could be rolls, but they really feel like chips. Visible when looking close and obviously when running your nail over them. 2 in front of the wood sliver and one behind it towards the handle. I'm not worried about it, as they are small...but wasn't expecting to see that. Tonight I'll see how well rounded Cruwear is in the sharpening department. I know touch ups are a breeze, and expect the same with sharpening out these small chips.

Sounds weird, and maybe totally against science and chemistry...but in the performance department, I didn't find Cruwear to be any better than S30V.

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!!!!

Resized_20200320_151629.jpeg
Resized_20200320_151819.jpeg

It's no secret that I'm a huge 4V fanboy, it's my favourite steel lately, followed fairly closely by Rex45 and K390. Anyhow, I have all six steels available in the Shaman platform... 4V, Rex45, S90V, CruWear, M4, S30v -- So I decided to have a go at doing my own user tests, none of this is scientific in any way, shape, or form...

I spent a couple hours last weekend trying to get all 6 knives sharpened as closely as I am capable of, I'm reasonably competent at sharpening, certainly not as good as many folks around here... anyhow, this week I've been trying to rotate through the six Shaman and put each and every one through as similar amount of use as possible, some got a little more than others, but I'd say they were all in the same ballpark. After doing the basic arm hair shaving, paper cutting tests, and then looking at the edges with a 30x and 60x Jewellers loupe and seeing what the edges looked like. The results would rank from best to worst... 4V, Rex45, S90V, CruWear, M4, and S30V.

Those rankings are based on how sharp each respective blade still was, and the amount of damage the blade showed under 30x & 60x magnification. I think for me the two rankings I expected to be higher were CruWear & M4, whereas I expected S90V to be a little bit below CruWear and M4, just based on my own personal experiences those steels... I think I need to revisit my S90V knives and possibly move my opinion of it up higher where it was once...

Again, not trying to ignite a flame war or say this steel is bad or that steel is better than that steel, or anything of the sort, just sharing my own personal experiences & observations. :)

Cheers,

John
Don’t forget about Cutlery Shop’s exclusive Shaman in CTS-XHP (all though it’s probably only available on the secondary market).
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”