Biggest knife sins?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GarageBoy

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Post by GarageBoy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:03 am
Taking a knife apart and trying to fix it yourself and then returning it when you can’t. If you put a torx driver to it then it belongs to you!
I can't remember where I read it, but someone bought a knife, tried sharpening it with a pull through carbide sharpener, and when it didn't work, bragged about buying a new knife and returning the old one because "crkt would take care of that customer" and he didn't have the time
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:39 am
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:34 am
Pull through sharpeners, bench grinders, using them as screwdrivers/scrapers/prybars.
With the exception of the TORMEK unit ( wet, water cooled grinder) nothing powered by electricity should ever be used on a knife.>> even a low quality knife deserves much better than that.
How do you think these knives get made? :p
I think they meant after the knife has been heat treated and left the manufacturer. Powered sharpeners produce lots of heat and will ruin the tempering if you aren’t not extremely careful. Best to avoid power sharpeners all together, unless they have some sort of cooling mechanism.
Look at some factory tour videos - a lot of knives get sharpened on a belt (dry) and they can get hot

I can't remember which one deadboxheros buddies did a video showing how there is a difference in hardness at the edge than the spine because of the burning
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:25 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 am
Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am
I would love to my man, I prefer the delica myself. Maybe “measurable” was not the best term. More of my anecdotal experience. To me, the p3lw has better ergonomics, even though the delica ergos are fantastic, I think the para models in general are a home run ergonomically. In other people’s testing they found bd1n to have more corrosion resistance and better edge retention. I prefer the wire clip to the standard spoon clip. My para3 lw also has incredible fall shut action, equally as good as my pm2 and g10 para 3. Some of, if not all of those areas are down to personal preference. In any case I’ve given the edge to the p3lw in many categories but I still prefer the delica. I do prefer the thinner blade of the delica and the slimmer footprint in the pocket. Most importantly I love the look. Sometimes I take it out just to look at it. I own a grey mode and combined with the the slight wear on the black clip, I think it’s a gorgeous and extremely capable knife. Also vg10 is so easy to keep sharp

Thanks a lot for your detailled reply! :) Some valid points!

As you said anyway, I think one could not "measure" which one is 'better" (for this depends on personal preferences anyway)
And after all, it is great that Delica 4 and Para 3 are imho pretty different models in many regards and by this Spyderco really offers choices in that size category!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Can´t think of real "knife sins" - for me personally maybe to NOT use a Spydie, but then I think it is totally ok if someone else chooses to just "collect" knives (it´s just not for me)

Kind of a sin would certainly be giving one to a kid without teaching how to use a knife.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:31 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:03 am
Taking a knife apart and trying to fix it yourself and then returning it when you can’t. If you put a torx driver to it then it belongs to you!
I can't remember where I read it, but someone bought a knife, tried sharpening it with a pull through carbide sharpener, and when it didn't work, bragged about buying a new knife and returning the old one because "crkt would take care of that customer" and he didn't have the time
That guy doesn’t sound like a knife guy so it likely wasn’t a worthwhile knife. Hopefully whatever poor sod ends up with it doesn’t get a bad taste for the industry. Totally fine to sell in a “used” condition but you should clearly specify what type use. Returning a used knife is a terrible knife sin.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:46 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am
I would love to my man, I prefer the delica myself. Maybe “measurable” was not the best term. More of my anecdotal experience. To me, the p3lw has better ergonomics, even though the delica ergos are fantastic, I think the para models in general are a home run ergonomically. In other people’s testing they found bd1n to have more corrosion resistance and better edge retention. I prefer the wire clip to the standard spoon clip. My para3 lw also has incredible fall shut action, equally as good as my pm2 and g10 para 3. Some of, if not all of those areas are down to personal preference. In any case I’ve given the edge to the p3lw in many categories but I still prefer the delica. I do prefer the thinner blade of the delica and the slimmer footprint in the pocket. Most importantly I love the look. Sometimes I take it out just to look at it. I own a grey mode and combined with the the slight wear on the black clip, I think it’s a gorgeous and extremely capable knife. Also vg10 is so easy to keep sharp

Thanks a lot for your detailled reply! :) Some valid points!

As you said anyway, I think one could not "measure" which one is 'better" (for this depends on personal preferences anyway)
And after all, it is great that Delica 4 and Para 3 are imho pretty different models in many regards and by this Spyderco really offers choices in that size category!
I’m receiving my first endura 4 in the mail this week. I hope I love it as much as the delica. I handled one in the past and I immediately thought it was too large. That was before my knife obsession really took off so maybe my taste has changed. I do think they’re asking too much for them new however. Up to like $85 BHQ? That seems a little too expensive for the materials.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
I’m receiving my first endura 4 in the mail this week. I hope I love it as much as the delica. I handled one in the past and I immediately thought it was too large. That was before my knife obsession really took off so maybe my taste has changed. I do think they’re asking too much for them new however. Up to like $85 BHQ? That seems a little too expensive for the materials.
I love the Endura and carry it a lot more than the Delica (which I also like a lot). But be aware: It is a MUCH bigger knife!

Did you ever think about the Endela? Though in overall size definitely closer to the Endura than to the Endela, it is still a smaller knife than the former...
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:58 pm
Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:38 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Zachreed1 wrote:

I love the Endura and carry it a lot more than the Delica (which I also like a lot). But be aware: It is a MUCH bigger knife!

Did you ever think about the Endela? Though in overall size definitely closer to the Endura than to the Endela, it is still a smaller knife than the former...
I did consider the endela and I’m sure it will enter my collection eventually but as of now they only have it in black frn. I like a little more variety. I have a grey delica and the endura I ordered is blue. Also there is not a large used market for the endela. Hundreds of used delicas and endura available. The endura I ordered was $50. Clip is a little worn and the frn has some scratches. Looks exactly like my delica honestly so that’s an excellent value in my book. I’ve also watched comparison videos of the endura and endela. They appear to have almost identical handles lengths with a slightly different shape. I figured for the same handle size might as well get the longer blade. I’ve never really found my delica to be to short honestly. Unless I’m cutting an apple on half, which is never necessary the delica has done every job so far. I hope I love the endura but if not, for $50 it has a safe spot in my collection.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

When I was a little kid I sneaked into my Dad's workshop (off limits) and put my knife on his Sears Craftsman bench grinder (double off limits). Sparks everywhere and wonderful blue purple golden tones along the edge!!! :cool:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:58 am
I see the biggest knife sins in the kitchen usually.

Granite cutting boards.

Pull through carbide sharpeners.

Putting knives in the dishwasher.
My counter puppy started to rust after one cycle in the dishwasher. :(
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

cycleguy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:40 pm
When I was a little kid I sneaked into my Dad's workshop (off limits) and put my knife on his Sears Craftsman bench grinder (double off limits). Sparks everywhere and wonderful blue purple golden tones along the edge!!! :cool:

CG
When I was a kid (kindergarten) I "borrowed" my cousin's swiss army knife and got caught after I cut the heck out of my thumb while prying open 12 gauge shells behind the garage.

I was in some serious trouble - and rightly deserved it!
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Rinzler wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:19 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Granite cutting boards.

Putting knives in the dishwasher.
My counter puppy started to rust after one cycle in the dishwasher. :(
Dang bro I was really interested in some counter puppies
Monty

Post by Monty »

Stabbing someone who didn't need stabbing?
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:06 pm
Hi Snacktime,

I don't remember if I welcomed you, so welcome to our forum.

I think Neglect is a sin.........and not just for knives. ;)

sal
Thank you! I do enjoy your products, a little to much.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
marty_bill_

Post by marty_bill_ »

Well using my $1600 cqc 6 to turn a rusty screw and putting a huge chip in the blade. That was pretty sinful if you ask me! Down right dumb!
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Yeah, I was staying at a friends house overseas and they had a granite cutting board. I examined their kitchen knives and they all had a completely flattened, fully reflective strip about 1mm wide where the edge should be.

Watching meal prep would make me wince as they struggled to muscle the main chef knife through material with full power, and the knife often slipping violently out of the cut.

They asked whether I could sharpen their knives and I said I could (and did), but explained that the knives would immediately dull again due to the stone cutting surface.

I ended up gifting them a long straight edged knife with scalloped serrations, so it would at least have more longevity with only the end tip contacting the board. I don’t know if they ended up getting rid of the board.

I guess the fact that stone and glass cutting boards even exist, speaks to the degeneration of knife sharpening and maintenance knowledge in the general community.

The other thing I often see on people’s old pocket knives and kitchen knives are snapped tips from using the knife as a screwdriver.

One of my chef friends fell out with a housemate because she used a Wusthof chef knife he’d had since his apprentice days to pry open a paint tin, leaving a permanent banana bend in it.

Another thing that often baffles me when looking at friends hunting knives is the amount of gunk left on their knives from past field dressing work. I would have thought you’d want to start each hunt with a properly cleaned knife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

marty_bill_ wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:03 pm
Well using my $1600 cqc 6 to turn a rusty screw and putting a huge chip in the blade. That was pretty sinful if you ask me! Down right dumb!
:eek: you win. Makes me cringe, and yet also makes me strangely jealous? :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Cambertree wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:18 pm
Yeah, I was staying at a friends house overseas and they had a granite cutting board. I examined their kitchen knives and they all had a completely flattened, fully reflective strip about 1mm wide where the edge should be.

Watching meal prep would make me wince as they struggled to muscle the main chef knife through material with full power, and the knife often slipping violently out of the cut.

They asked whether I could sharpen their knives and I said I could (and did), but explained that the knives would immediately dull again due to the stone cutting surface.

I ended up gifting them a long straight edged knife with scalloped serrations, so it would at least have more longevity with only the end tip contacting the board. I don’t know if they ended up getting rid of the board.

I guess the fact that stone and glass cutting boards even exist, speaks to the degeneration of knife sharpening and maintenance knowledge in the general community.

The other thing I often see on people’s old pocket knives and kitchen knives are snapped tips from using the knife as a screwdriver.

One of my chef friends fell out with a housemate because she used a Wusthof chef knife he’d had since his apprentice days to pry open a paint tin, leaving a permanent banana bend in it.

Another thing that often baffles me when looking at friends hunting knives is the amount of gunk left on their knives from past field dressing work. I would have thought you’d want to start each hunt with a properly cleaned knife.
Being a ex butcher I always end up having to sharpen knives when we stay at friends. The amount of chopping boards I have thrown out the door. ( being a big loud guy helps not getting kicked out afterwards ) Most listen and have a nice wooden one on return.

The amount of times I have changed the thinking on knives to Two knives for $100 is better than a $600 block set in non knife people is alarming. I usually set them up with two knives that will do most jobs, get a steel that they can use $50 so usually $150 all in and nearly everyone talks about how they are enjoying the sharpest knives they have had in their life.

BBQs at my house I always have someone ohh ahh,ing whilst I am cutting stuff up in the kitchen and looking at knives.

Put a Burt Foster laminated - Talon EDC on the cheese platter last dinner party and blew everyone away with how sharp a knife could be. Still giggle when the misses comes home and says her friends are still talking about how sharp the cheese knife was.
121AA570-92B2-458D-9D92-54DFFE30759B.jpeg
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

I carried this Case stockman for at least 24 years EDC as it was my only pocket knife. Somewhere along the way I snapped of the sheepfoot blade all the way down to the pivot. I cant remember how I did it, probably prying with it. I took a grinder to it to get the sharp edge off the break so it was pocket friendly.

Hard to believe my new EDC is a behemouth compared to it
BLJace

Post by BLJace »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

If i could tell you how many times i've seen someone pull out a knife that has obviously been sharpened with one of those...
:spyder: I used to collect a lot of knives... I still do, but i used to too. :spyder: