Biggest knife sins?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Biggest knife sins?

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:34 am
Pull through sharpeners, bench grinders, using them as screwdrivers/scrapers/prybars.
With the exception of the TORMEK unit ( wet, water cooled grinder) nothing powered by electricity should ever be used on a knife.>> even a low quality knife deserves much better than that.

Also using a knife for anything other than it's intended uses is usually always bad and comes back to haunt you.
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Pretending a Back Lock is fun to fidget with just because it’s a new knife, when you know your Comp Lock is waiting for your return! ;)
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

anycal wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:30 am
GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:04 am
Grabbing a box cutter to cut something because you don't want to get your knife dirty - double points for when the knife is the better job
Made me chuckle.

Someone asking me to use my knife. I pause to think about what is in my pocket. If it's a beater, I will let them use it. If it is a prescious I just sharpened, I diflect or run away.
I keep a leatherman juice on me so when someone asks for a knife that’s what they get. More of a pry tool than anything. I never sharpen it so if I slip prying something I don’t damage anything.
Delica/endura FFG vg10, p3lw Bd1n, pm2 s30v, dragonfly salt
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Pancake wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:58 am
Heat treating steels that should be 61HRC to like 58.....
I definitely am not a fan of that but I meant more specifically on the user end. Unless your a custom maker. I’ve dabbled in fixed blades myself but my heat treating method is far from scientific enough to dial hardness. What I get is what I get.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Selling a knife as new when it is not!
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 am
Yea that’s a huge sin and a character flaw in general
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Buying a counterfeit spydie unknowingly (or knowingly) and "keeping it anyways as a beater" Da fuq?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
dsvirsky

Post by dsvirsky »

Buying a knife and then sticking it in a drawer because it's "too nice to use." (Knives purchased specifically for collection value don't count.)
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Taking a knife apart and trying to fix it yourself and then returning it when you can’t. If you put a torx driver to it then it belongs to you!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Only using two knives from your entire collection and keeping all the others NIB? (Asking for a friend). ;)
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Throwing knives that arent throwing knives.

Learned that the hard way as a kid, when I saw someone throw a butterfly knife in a movie and went home to "practice" and broke mine. Which for me at the time was the coolest knife I had.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Going to the dishwasher this morning to choose my carry knife of the day. Rex 45 Shaman it is!
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 am
Evil D wrote:
Pull through sharpeners, bench grinders, using them as screwdrivers/scrapers/prybars.
With the exception of the TORMEK unit ( wet, water cooled grinder) nothing powered by electricity should ever be used on a knife.>> even a low quality knife deserves much better than that.
How do you think these knives get made? :p
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:42 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:58 am
Evil D wrote:
How do you think these knives get made? :p
I think they meant after the knife has been heat treated and left the manufacturer. Powered sharpeners produce lots of heat and will ruin the tempering if you aren’t not extremely careful. Best to avoid power sharpeners all together, unless they have some sort of cooling mechanism.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am
I know I am not the only one guilty of this. I always want my newest knife to be my favorite knife, and it is for a brief period. In some cases I’ll switch interests before the knife even arrives to my door. The latest case was the case of the Para 3 lw. I thought it would be the one knife to rule them all, but after a month of use I found myself desiring my delica. The Para 3 lw is superior in most measurable areas but it just doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling like my delica does. Perhaps the perfect edc(for me) has been here all along. That being said an Edura 4 will be arriving shortly. The search continues.
Could you elaborate that? I myself prefer the Delica by far, but totally understand if others like the Para 3 over it, but
" Para 3 LW superior in most measurable areas" is something I don´t understand (and I am NOT arguing that the Delica is "better", but just asking why the Para 3 LW should be better "measurably")

- The Delica is slimmer and less tall in pocket (less footprint) but still offers the same amount of cutting edge
- The Delica is lighter DESPITE having a more solid, linered construction (and the "linerless Delica", the Salt, is MUCH lighter than the Para 3 LW
- The Delica has a strong, but still slicey and thin blade, while the Para 3 s blade is more than 40 % thicker, which imho is a disadvantage in such a small folder (and decreases performance
- The Delica has as said a smaller footprint, but still offers a good four finger grip in the handle (not so the Para 3)
- Locktype of course is a matter of personal preference, both comp.lock and backlock are good, but certainly the former not "measurable" better (for example: With a backlock there would not be the in this threadreported detent problems and it the jnife would be totally ambidextrious)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:02 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:01 am
Yea that’s a huge sin and a character flaw in general
Ugh! Don't even get me started!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Zachreed1

Post by Zachreed1 »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 am
Zachreed1 wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 5:52 am
I know I am not the only one guilty of this. I always want my newest knife to be my favorite knife, and it is for a brief period. In some cases I’ll switch interests before the knife even arrives to my door. The latest case was the case of the Para 3 lw. I thought it would be the one knife to rule them all, but after a month of use I found myself desiring my delica. The Para 3 lw is superior in most measurable areas but it just doesn’t give me the warm fuzzy feeling like my delica does. Perhaps the perfect edc(for me) has been here all along. That being said an Edura 4 will be arriving shortly. The search continues.
Could you elaborate that? I myself prefer the Delica by far, but totally understand if others like the Para 3 over it, but
" Para 3 LW superior in most measurable areas" is something I don´t understand (and I am NOT arguing that the Delica is "better", but just asking why the Para 3 LW should be better "measurably")

- The Delica is slimmer and less tall in pocket (less footprint) but still offers the same amount of cutting edge
- The Delica is lighter DESPITE having a more solid, linered construction (and the "linerless Delica", the Salt, is MUCH lighter than the Para 3 LW
- The Delica has a strong, but still slicey and thin blade, while the Para 3 s blade is more than 40 % thicker, which imho is a disadvantage in such a small folder (and decreases performance
- The Delica has as said a smaller footprint, but still offers a good four finger grip in the handle (not so the Para 3)
- Locktype of course is a matter of personal preference, both comp.lock and backlock are good, but certainly the former not "measurable" better (for example: With a backlock there would not be the in this threadreported detent problems and it the jnife would be totally ambidextrious)
I would love to my man, I prefer the delica myself. Maybe “measurable” was not the best term. More of my anecdotal experience. To me, the p3lw has better ergonomics, even though the delica ergos are fantastic, I think the para models in general are a home run ergonomically. In other people’s testing they found bd1n to have more corrosion resistance and better edge retention. I prefer the wire clip to the standard spoon clip. My para3 lw also has incredible fall shut action, equally as good as my pm2 and g10 para 3. Some of, if not all of those areas are down to personal preference. In any case I’ve given the edge to the p3lw in many categories but I still prefer the delica. I do prefer the thinner blade of the delica and the slimmer footprint in the pocket. Most importantly I love the look. Sometimes I take it out just to look at it. I own a grey mode and combined with the the slight wear on the black clip, I think it’s a gorgeous and extremely capable knife. Also vg10 is so easy to keep sharp
juggler

Post by juggler »

SpyderNut wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:12 am
Only using two knives from your entire collection and keeping all the others NIB? (Asking for a friend). ;)
I'm definitely guilty of this. Well... I mean, my friend is :rolleyes:
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

A1685391-6734-4646-968D-F3A35B931096.gif
A1685391-6734-4646-968D-F3A35B931096.gif (269.39 KiB) Viewed 1553 times
Making a flipper that doesn’t flip...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Snacktime,

I don't remember if I welcomed you, so welcome to our forum.

I think Neglect is a sin.........and not just for knives. ;)

sal